Leonard Floyd analysis by Draft Dr. Phil

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Bears have tried to square peg him into a round hole. He's a 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 WLB. He can't rush the passer in the traditional sense. He's too light and doesn't have the strength to go up against guys that outweigh him by 50-60 pounds. His athleticism allows him to make some plays, but his football IQ is low. He's playing out his 4th year on a string without a 5th year guarantee with this season's poor performance.

Bears have to seriously get someone opposite Mack that can take advantage of the lack of double teams.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have tried to square peg him into a round hole. He's a 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 WLB. He can't rush the passer in the traditional sense. He's too light and doesn't have the strength to go up against guys that outweigh him by 50-60 pounds. His athleticism allows him to make some plays, but his football IQ is low. He's playing out his 4th year on a string without a 5th year guarantee with this season's poor performance.

Bears have to seriously get someone opposite Mack that can take advantage of the lack of double teams.

So do you cut him and eat the 5MM next year? Gamble on getting a high 2nd round pick? Or a cheap free agent on a one year prove it deal? Even a 5 sack, washed up veteran is better than ZERO!

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
So do you cut him and eat the 5MM next year? Gamble on getting a high 2nd round pick? Or a cheap free agent on a one year prove it deal? Even a 5 sack, washed up veteran is better than ZERO!

hes not getting cut at 5 mill. for as bad as hes been pass rushing he can still improve. having said that, theres nothing from adding some more competition for him either...i get why they liked floyd as the pick...he reminded me of taylor when he came out as a tweener...

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I'm seeing a player who lacks the power and/or leverage needed for his position, and plays like he knows it. He plays like he knows his only way to win battles is with speed, and so you see him "fish" for angles/daylight in pass rush where he can scrape past the OL. This unfortunately often results in him standing around or being content to be blocked.

What really stands out to me is something that was highlighted when he was drafted: his lack of elite hip-bend means he is always struggling for leverage with his 6'6 frame. His speed is still great, but without leverage (or functional power like Mack) it is too easily countered. The video in OP even noticed he plays too high, but you also can see he gets very little bend and so he is extremely vulnerable to being rode out of the backfield.