LeSean McCoy: "The problem is, the wide receivers need a quarterback, not the quarterback needs weapons."

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I will point out that this is very very true but also, I think, another way of talking about how this defense lacks impact linemen. I was hoping that a healthy Jenkins was the type to punch someone in the mouth and set the tone for a rough-and-tumble game. Wright may in fact be a tone setter an I am excited to see what he can do over the next few years.

This defense lacks the ability to rush my grandma out of the pocket. Struggling lines lead to a lot of problems downstream.
Wright may be something but the rest of the dudes around him suck and they're likely looking at replacing 4 OL over the next two years if Jenkins can't stay healthy. I don't see Jones having a high enough ceiling to be here long term. I don't trust him to be good enough to protect a QB over the next decade.

Whitehair is getting long in the tooth and maybe, just maybe he rebounds to play well this year but he's old enough that he could decline with one nagging injury.

It struck me listening to the radio the other day, Tom Thayer mentioned he played with the same 5 guys for seven straight years in the NFL.
The Bears are nowhere near that right now.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Wright may be something but the rest of the dudes around him suck and they're likely looking at replacing 4 OL over the next two years if Jenkins can't stay healthy. I don't see Jones having a high enough ceiling to be here long term. I don't trust him to be good enough to protect a QB over the next decade.

Whitehair is getting long in the tooth and maybe, just maybe he rebounds to play well this year but he's old enough that he could decline with one nagging injury.

It struck me listening to the radio the other day, Tom Thayer mentioned he played with the same 5 guys for seven straight years in the NFL.
The Bears are nowhere near that right now.
Chicago has 4 picks in the first three rounds of the next draft and I would have zero qualms with drafting two DEs, C and OG. They then have two fourth round picks, in which I would recommend drafting two more OGs.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Between you and your bestie Bust, I find it comical that “fans” root for the team to be dogshit. And speaking of dog shit, @DanielCCSBears is also included

that's a very very good analogy. Justin sure played like #dogshit in week 1. Now if that continues to week 2 ?? #PANIC

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one is "rooting" for the Bears to be dog-shit. They've been dog-shit for 5 years.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Fields needs to have a big game in the worst way. I think we get the good side of bipolar claypool this weekend. Just let it rip and see what happens please.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Dude probably has brane damage from all the hits he took in the NFL

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some of this has to be coaching and maybe too much 7 on 7 in camp. 2 things I didn't see from Fields, the confidence to let it fly to a guy early in a progression unless a key was involved nor skipping parts of a progression based on what he saw before the snap or early in the rep.

A lot of this has to be coaching and emphasis with a player that is trying very hard to stay in the system. At this point they may be better off telling him to just let er rip, and or call his own plays etc. He's playing like a pawn on chess board right now and he's not being moved by a master. He really looks like he's trying too hard to stay in system and his coaches aren't telling him how to short circuit progressions and are reinforcing the not making mistakes aspect of the position. He looks stifled and it's actually creating as many or more errors than just letting him roll. Biggest difference is that like this, you only get the errors and not the big plays/special he offers. In a big play league, you need to let a big play player eat.

All that said, I have no idea what's up behind the scenes and Fields may just not have it but I suspect there's more to this story than Justin being gun shy early in his progressions on his own.
he does seem to be regressing however

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
No one is "rooting" for the Bears to be dog-shit. They've been dog-shit for 5 years.
Add a few decades to that.

Superbowl vs the Colts era was the only other time I really felt like the team was good.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
"The problem is, the wide receivers need a quarterback, not the quarterback needs weapons. It's the same results. Justin Fields is a tremendous athlete he's really, really good in fantasy football. We're talking about this real thing, they need to start treating him the same way y'all treat Zach Wilson."

Interesting take on the WR's and QB.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields and the Bears aside, what McCoy is saying is generally true. We've seen countless examples of elite QBs still having success with either subpar or rotating weapons. On the other hand, we've also seen plenty examples of elite WRs playing with trash QBs and not having nearly the same level of success as they had when they played with a great QB. When you marry the two, that's when you really get fireworks.

Obviously, great weapons will make a good QB even better and vice versa. But, a great QB will find a way to make it work even if he doesn't have those weapons. I've always held the opinion that if a QB absolutely needs great weapons to have success, then they aren't really that great to begin with. You don't need great weapons to make the right read and/or take what the defense gives you. You also don't need great weapons to place the ball in a spot where only the receiver can get it, regardless of who they are. Plus, we all have eyes. We can see when the QB is doing well, but their weapons are letting them down. Like with Mahomes in week 1 against the Lions. It isn't his fault that receivers dropped 5 passes, ran wrong routes, etc. But not having good weapons didn't suddenly make Mahomes forget how to play football. He still did what he needed to do, it's just the other guys didn't deliver on their end.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I was at Halloween horror nights at universal last night in Orlando. The last time the Bears won a game I was at Halloween horror nights last year! We are turning into the expansion Cleveland browns or the Lions under the cover 2 master.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe the biggest asset a QB can have is an above average to elite o-line. Brady proved for many years that an elite QB with an elite O-line can make most NFL caliber WR's & RB's look great. This is where I have my problem with Poles and Cunningham. They played O-line their whole life until they both had small stints in the NFL. Then both went on the scout O-line, and eventually becoming director of player personal. Basically scouting O-linemen and directing the GM to which O-linemen to draft, sign or acquire. I thought for sure after two off-season's to build the line they would, at the very least, field an above average O-Line by this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.