Less than 36 hours until the trade deadline -- what do you expect the Cubs to do?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Even after unloading their tastier assets (Garza, Soriano, Feldman, among others) the Cubs still have several players that may be flipped before 4PM tomorrow. What do you expect the Cubs to do? Will they stand pat? Will they deal a few more players?

Among Schierholtz, Gregg, DeJesus and Russell, who do you think is the most likely to get traded? Discuss Cubs trade deadline rumors and other MLB rumors here.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nothing. They have the next Mike Trout.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nothing. They have the next Mike Trout.

tumblr_me12d6SzRN1rp04tto1_500.gif

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 2m More from scout: "I believe DeJesus, Schierholtz, Gregg, Russell are all in play but no way do they move Samardzija. The price won't be met"

FWIW

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
But in all seriousness..... With Rafael Betancourt still struggling with his appendectomy, the Rockies have decided they won't be sellers and are interested in acquiring Kevin Gregg.

Link here

Though Cubs closer Kevin Gregg seems a near-lock to be traded by tomorrow afternoon's deadline, we've heard little in the way of specific teams linked to him. However, the Rockies have had interest in Gregg, reports Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post today.

The Rockies have "been prepared to act as a buyer and seller" as they sit 6.5 games out in the NL West, according to Renck. That explains their interest in bolstering the bullpen despite a willingness to listen on Josh Outman. Renck adds that while the Rockies are unlikely to trade injured closer Rafael Betancourt, it hasn't been ruled out. The 38-year-old is "slowly recovering from an appendectomy," writes Renck.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 2m More from scout: "I believe DeJesus, Schierholtz, Gregg, Russell are all in play but no way do they move Samardzija. The price won't be met"

FWIW

I've read a few reports stating that the Cubs have received offers for Samardzija, the main teams being Arizona and (surprise!) Oakland, but no real traction has been made. Oakland actually makes sense. He's still cheap enough for their stingy payroll and they still have multiple years of control. They've got some juicy prospects, too.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Villanueva is on the block as well. What I don't understand is why Barney's name is not out there. He is horrible at the plate and his defense is not as good as last year. I know the Cubs cant get much for him but I would rather get something for him before he completely disappears.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've read a few reports stating that the Cubs have received offers for Samardzija, the main teams being Arizona and (surprise!) Oakland, but no real traction has been made. Oakland actually makes sense. He's still cheap enough for their stingy payroll and they still have multiple years of control. They've got some juicy prospects, too.

Read a report on CBS that the Cubs are basically telling teams that they take what they want for Shark. Basically, they are going to choose the package and there wouldn't be much wiggle room if you want him.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Villanueva is on the block as well. What I don't understand is why Barney's name is not out there. He is horrible at the plate and his defense is not as good as last year.

:andruw:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Villanueva is on the block as well. What I don't understand is why Barney's name is not out there. He is horrible at the plate and his defense is not as good as last year. I know the Cubs cant get much for him but I would rather get something for him before he completely disappears.

That right there is precisely why he isn't being shopped -- his value is essentially non-existent. Nobody is desperate enough for a middle infielder they can use as a defensive replacement. His regression at the plate has been scary.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That right there is precisely why he isn't being shopped -- his value is essentially non-existent. Nobody is desperate enough for a middle infielder they can use as a defensive replacement. His regression at the plate has been scary.

Okay, I know this. What I am saying, is why aren't the Cubs trying to package him with some pitching to a team? The Cubs haven't thrown his name out there at all. Im talking him just being a throw in. I would much rather give Valbuena the starting job at second or maybe see what Watkins can do. But, I find it down right disgusting that Barney can walk into next year as the starter still. Barney may be worth a half drank Gatorade, but if they can get rid of Marmol. They can get rid of anyone. Also, I have been praying that Theo was just talking shit when he said Barney was a core player last year.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Okay, I know this. What I am saying, is why aren't the Cubs trying to package him with some pitching to a team? The Cubs haven't thrown his name out there at all. Im talking him just being a throw in. I would much rather give Valbuena the starting job at second or maybe see what Watkins can do. But, I find it down right disgusting that Barney can walk into next year as the starter still. Barney may be worth a half drank Gatorade, but if they can get rid of Marmol. They can get rid of anyone. Also, I have been praying that Theo was just talking shit when he said Barney was a core player last year.

How do you know that?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I mean, I guess they could potentially package him with either Gregg or Russell. The thing is, any team acquiring Barney would need to be absolutely desperate for help at second base if they were to throw him in their lineup. I've always been of the belief that he's a marginal starter who's a nice defensive player and offers little to know offense. Over the last 3 years, his oWAR is just 1.8, including a -1.0 oWAR at this point of the season, versus a 4.9 dWAR. For an NL team who already has to deal with having a pitcher in the #9 spot, do they really want to have another albatross in their lineup? It would make more sense for Barney to go to the AL, if he were to be traded.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Scherholtz will be traded to the Pirates.

The Cubs will get a solid AA pitcher. Both the guys below have the size and power potential the Cubs seem to be looking at.

Tyler Glasnow
Nick Kingham

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Why would any team want Barney in a trade? The MiLB is absolutely loaded with good defensive MIF who can't hit a lick.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would any team want Barney in a trade? The MiLB is absolutely loaded with good defensive MIF who can't hit a lick.

His defense is above average and can play short and second. He would be what he is suppose to be on a team a UI. Barney is a major leaguer just not a starter.