Less than 36 hours until the trade deadline -- what do you expect the Cubs to do?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs will trade Kevin Gregg and Nate Schierholtz. As much as I like both of them, I think DeJesus should go if Schierholtz goes.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sorry Silence, you haven't been paying attention.

You didn't mention any offensive stats in your breakdown of WAR, so you clearly must not understand how it works.

Also, I did not mention Barney's broken WAR from last year in my thread about WAR and it has already been decided that the example I used was the one and only example in history of how WAR is flawed.

No, the logic as you presented it, was that "Craig has better offensive numbers than Rizzo, but equal WAR, therefore WAR is flawed". Everyone knows that WAR isn't perfect, but as you presented it, you did not prove anything.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Management seems to believe he's a core piece going forward. :shifty:

No they don't, he was a half-second away from getting traded to Atlanta last week but decided to go with Scott Downs instead because the Angels didn't make them give up a prospect like the Cubs were saying would've been a requirement to land Russell. Russell is way more valuable, as he's 10 years younger than Downs and isn't eligible for free agency until 2016. The only cool part about Downs is that he's from Louisville and I've met him before at Cafe 360.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
More Cubs rumors on Schierholtz and DeJesus:

29-year-old Cubs right fielder Nate Schierholtz is one of the better bats on the trade market. He deserves credit for his strong work this year against right-handed pitching, but it's also a weak market for bats. Schierholtz is under team control for 2014 as an arbitration eligible player, and MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz suggests a salary in the $4.2MM range. 33-year-old center fielder David DeJesus is another candidate to be moved today; he comes with a $6.5MM club option for 2014. DeJesus recently returned from a shoulder sprain

Link here

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal tweet

Source: #Cubs expect to move either DeJesus or Schierholtz. DeJesus might be more likely; Schierholtz fits vs. RHPs in ’14. #Pirates on both

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Silence, if a team were to release a guy like him in the winter, there would be teams that may be interested in adding a utility IF to their bench.

But at the trade deadline, teams aren't spending their time looking for that. The buyers have bigger needs. His BA has killed whatever value he may have, and I think most teams already have comparable guys on their bench, and thus don't see a need to give anything up.

And from a Cubs standpoint, what big gain is it to trade a starter for little return, only to then have a hold to fill? Not that it would be a big blow, but, again, a very low priority move. I think that's why he's not being moved.

Well, UI's usually go at the deadline to strengthen a teams bench. Whether it be defense or bat. I don't see how no team would want that when every year a role player/bench player is traded. If no team truly would take him, then the Cubs severely missed the boat on trading him last season or in the off season. Also, if no other team wants him then why should he still be the starter on the Cubs. We got kids in the farm that can take his spot or Valbuena.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

theres no trade to be made for jeff samardzija now. so #cubs will try to sign or trade this winter. http://cbsprt.co/18QpPcV

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

More to watch on deadline day: #Cubs appear more likely to trade Nate Schierholtz than Gregg or Russell.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Rogers ‏@ChiTribRogers

According to @Ken_Rosenthal the Cubs' David DeJesus in play at trade deadline. He's an Epstein/Hoyer favorite so won't be easy to get.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

theres no trade to be made for jeff samardzija now. so #cubs will try to sign or trade this winter. http://cbsprt.co/18QpPcV

Sounds like the same thing that was said about Matt Garza.

Shark's days with the Cubs are numbered.

I will be very surprised if he gets an extension and certainly doubt an extension at market value given his view on the rebuilding process here.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
No they don't, he was a half-second away from getting traded to Atlanta last week but decided to go with Scott Downs instead because the Angels didn't make them give up a prospect like the Cubs were saying would've been a requirement to land Russell. Russell is way more valuable, as he's 10 years younger than Downs and isn't eligible for free agency until 2016. The only cool part about Downs is that he's from Louisville and I've met him before at Cafe 360.

The cool part about Downs was when he was a decent emerging left handed starter that the Cubs flipped for RonDL White and immediately blew out his arm in Montreal. Always liked the guy, and enjoyed watching re-emerge as pretty dominant lefty reliever for a long time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/nate-schierholtz-rumors-wednesday.html

Schierholtz Staying With Cubs
By Tim Dierkes [July 31, 2013 at 2:02pm CST]
29-year-old Cubs right fielder Nate Schierholtz is one of the better bats on the trade market. He deserves credit for his strong work this year against right-handed pitching, but it's also a weak market for bats. Schierholtz is under team control for 2014 as an arbitration eligible player, and MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz suggests a salary in the $4.2MM range. 33-year-old center fielder David DeJesus is another candidate to be moved today; he comes with a $6.5MM club option for 2014. DeJesus recently returned from a shoulder sprain. The latest on that pair as well as the Cubs' other trade chips...

It looks like Schierholtz is staying put with the Cubs, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
Earlier Cubs Updates

There's much more action on James Russell right now than Kevin Gregg, according to ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine (on Twitter).
The Cubs expect to trade either Schierholtz or DeJesus, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, and DeJesus might be more likely. The Pirates are in on both.
The Cubs appear more likely to trade Schierholtz than relievers Kevin Gregg or James Russell, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is why I believe they will retain: Sweeney and Bog they have no control of next year. Neither are upgrades over Dejesus or Schierholtz. Not to mention Schierholtz has the Same HR's as Rizzo with 100 less AB's.

Vitters has been injured. Jackson demoted to AA due to FAILING at AAA.

So in house no stud to open a spot for. They already gave Lake a shot and I tend to agree with him being given an opportunity to take over LF.

I believe they will hold the deck.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sweeney and Bogusevic both have less than 6 years of service time. Bogusevic isn't even arbitration eligible yet. Overall the OF situation is pretty much what was expected at this point with them opening a spot for Lake and hanging onto guys that they have control beyond this year. Always could be waiver deals but it seems likely that this is the team that will finish the year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sweeney and Bogusevic both have less than 6 years of service time. Bogusevic isn't even arbitration eligible yet. Overall the OF situation is pretty much what was expected at this point with them opening a spot for Lake and hanging onto guys that they have control beyond this year. Always could be waiver deals but it seems likely that this is the team that will finish the year.

The only one I see going through waivers would be Gregg. I think they will hang on to the rest. They will probably shop around in the offseason for trades, but they are done for now.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only one I see going through waivers would be Gregg. I think they will hang on to the rest. They will probably shop around in the offseason for trades, but they are done for now.
It is possible but that was a pretty anticlimatic trade deadline with only three real players off the 25 man roster traded.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do not see any changes until rosters expand. I would expect mostly BP arms to be promoted. No one off of the 40 man. Position player maybe Logan Watkins but he really did not look that good this year. He was healthy which is saying something but he looks like he took a step back. But as a UI he still has some potential. Olt I expect even though he has looked bad. But I believe Dale would want to get some time in with him and get a first hand impression to see what adjustments need to be made. I expect him to be the opening day 3B. So they need to work through his plate issues.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It is possible but that was a pretty anticlimatic trade deadline with only three real players off the 25 man roster traded.

i think they pretty achieved their main goal and that was to move soriano, garza , and feldman..

i was a bit surprise they didnt move Gregg, and schierholtz but im guessing their asking price was a bit higher then what was offered for them.

it was getting close with navarro going to the cardinals..

barring waiver deals.. i see lake and bogusevic(when he returns from DL) manninig LF, with dejesus and schierholtz in OF..

i think also at some point in AUG. we may see vitters and Olt come up and get a good look at..

id like to see logan watkins get some starts at 2B, but prob. wont come until sept.