CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
what was barney doing on that play?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
what was barney doing on that play?

I have no idea. He should've been at 2B. But the throw should have gone to Castro. I think you assume a double on that play, but I could be wrong. That's why I think the throw goes to Castro, who goes to be the cutoff on a line with 3B.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have no idea. He should've been at 2B. But the throw should have gone to Castro. I think you assume a double on that play, but I could be wrong. That's why I think the throw goes to Castro, who goes to be the cutoff on a line with 3B.

ya although frazier didnt advance to 3rd after the miss throw

but since barney was being Special person

cutoff is the best option

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Campana had time to see that nobody was covering 2B and should have thrown to the cutoff after stopping his initial throwing motion. His throw would've missed the hypothetical cutoff man in line with 2B anyway, and wasn't in time. Frazier even had a chance to slow down and come in standing up. I think the infield was probably a bit stupid here, but Campana's throw was stupider :lol:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutoff man, no doubt. Let Castro (cutoff man), be the man to hold onto the ball and run the ball back to the infield. Campana has no doubt getting the guy out at 2B.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutoff man, no doubt. Let Castro (cutoff man), be the man to hold onto the ball and run the ball back to the infield. Campana has no doubt getting the guy out at 2B.

Follow-up question...based on what you know of the defense (Tony Campana), where the ball was hit (way in the left-field corner), the speed of Frazier (probably above average), where do you position the cutoff man that Campana overthrew anyway? :D

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Where Castro positions at his SS position when a pitch is thrown and go straight out to shallow LF. The middle of 3B and SS. I think that's close to where he positions when the pitch is thrown.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where Castro positions at his SS position when a pitch is thrown and go straight out to shallow LF. The middle of 3B and SS. I think that's close to where he positions when the pitch is thrown.

Yeah, I think he is in the right spot, probably close to in-line with 3B. Barney was probably backing him up because he thinks there's no way in hell Campana throws to 2B given the timing of the play. He probably should've stayed at 2B though. I think Pena has to stay close to his position in case the throw to 2B gets past Barney (who should've been there) and Marshall has to back up home plate just in case.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's see here. Byrd running over to LF in case (injury, etc), Rami at 3B, Castro shallow LF (cutoff, Colvin stays put, Soto stays at home, Marshall on 3B side, Pena in between pitcher's mound and 2B. I say Marshall on 3B because we have seen the LF throw the ball closer to the dugout and he's the back-up. And I doubt the runner goes all the way home, but if so, Pena backs-up home in case of throw. I think this would have work quite good.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That makes sense. We assume then that there was no way anyone was getting an out at 2B if the baserunner doesn't fall and isn't incompetent. We also note that Barney isn't at 2B where he's supposed to be. So we're assuming the play has to go to the cutoff to prevent the runner advancing to 3B. By the way, the throw by Campana to the invisible 2B bounced off Frazier's ankle and if it bounced further away, he might have been safe at 3B.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Very true. Did we ever mention where Barney was? I didn't see him in the play so IDK. My guess he was either still at 2nd or close to the pitcher's mound, leaning towards the pitcher's mound.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very true. Did we ever mention where Barney was? I didn't see him in the play so IDK. My guess he was either still at 2nd or close to the pitcher's mound, leaning towards the pitcher's mound.

He ran in from the 3B side. I think he was another backup for the hypothetical throw to 3B/cutoff that never happened.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just watched it again. Even if the Cubs defense was positioned to cutoff a throw to 2B, Campana overthrew the would-be cutoff position. It was just a bad throw/decision all around in my opinion.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
He ran in from the 3B side. I think he was another backup for the hypothetical throw to 3B/cutoff that never happened.

Damn, seems to be way outta position. Hopefully one of the coaches saw and will talk to him, so it doesn't happen again.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think he is in the right spot, probably close to in-line with 3B. Barney was probably backing him up because he thinks there's no way in hell Campana throws to 2B given the timing of the play. He probably should've stayed at 2B though. I think Pena has to stay close to his position in case the throw to 2B gets past Barney (who should've been there) and Marshall has to back up home plate just in case.

Castro should be between 3rd and 2nd base in the outfield barney should be at 2nd marshall should be backing up home Pena should be backing up by the pitching mound and Byrd should be backing up 2nd base from left field Center just backs up the left fielder

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I just watched it again. Even if the Cubs defense was positioned to cutoff a throw to 2B, Campana overthrew the would-be cutoff position. It was just a bad throw/decision all around in my opinion.

Oh yeah...I knew that but whatever. It's over and done with.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's going to bug me now is that Quade probably doesn't even mention this play in the postgame, when he was harping on Castro a couple weeks ago for dropping a popup that he lost in the sun that didn't even result in a run.