Let's start projecting what the Cubs will look like in a few years!

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
We will see, but there are now plenty of options to trade out guys. If the Cubs let Baez go for a TOR, they now have a future SS or vice versa. It's a good problem to have, and it's also good that the players behind Baez, Bryant, and Alcantara will be pushing them in every way.

It's absolutely a good problem to have! I'm excited about the future! Oh and what the hell is up with Soler? Last I remember he clubbed a pitcher with a bat in A ball lol

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
1546096_521495414617993_287403592430657774_n.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
SS: Russell
2B: Castro
RF: Bryant, has played 3B this year but I do not think he is locked in.
1B: Rizzo
3B: Baez
LF: Schwarber
C: Castillo
CF: Almora/Soler

I think guys like Alcantra, Soler, Voggie, the OF from the As will be flipped for pitching.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh lord. another ws line up thread. awesome.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
SS: Russell
2B: Castro
RF: Bryant, has played 3B this year but I do not think he is locked in.
1B: Rizzo
3B: Baez
LF: Schwarber
C: Castillo
CF: Almora/Soler

I think guys like Alcantra, Soler, Voggie, the OF from the As will be flipped for pitching.

Yeah, the Voglemonster is getting flipped. Can't see him making the Cubs MLB roster.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
oh lord. another ws line up thread. awesome.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Who said anything about a World Series though? I'm just trying to get some good conversation going (I know, such a crime). I'll repeat myself for you: I like to talk about speculation and know some people can inform me about prospects that I had little knowledge of.

Jfinger2014

Liked Posts:
1B Rizzo
2B Russell
SS Castro
3B Bryant
C Schwarber
LF Baez
CF Almora
RF Soler

I think because of Schwarber great bat they and how many good hitters Cubs have they may try to leave him at C to keep other positions open for others. I think Baez gets move to OF before Bryant because of his defensive struggles. I don't think they switch Castro to 2B all of a sudden since he has always been SS in the Majors.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The two just received, Soler, Almora, Johnson, Ramirez, Hendricks, Wada, Beeler, Viscaino, Villanueva, Edwards, the IFA's....The Cubs are a little deeper than you think.
Just because they are in your minors and/or you can name them does not mean anyone wants them for good pitching

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If I had to rate safest players to riskiest with consideration of overall peak talent

Rizzo
Bryant
Schwarber(his k/bb rates in college/minors with that power are among the all time greats)
Almora(defense will play in the majors even if his bat doesn't)
Russell(think he's going to be better than Castro)
Castro(think he gets traded eventually and he wasn't this front office's "guy" as Hendry brought him in not that he's bad)
Baez(has obvious elite potential but his k rate is scary and it has caused as good prospects to fail)
Alcantara(I love him but he could get squeezed positionally)
Soler(heath)

Rest is probably too dependent on the guys above. I think the top 4 are likely locks to be on the team 5 years from now with Russell being close.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Wow.

WTF are you wanting that they aren't doing?

Instant gratification? The usual "go for it now, one year window" type of team?

In one year, we will have an IF consisting of 4 of these 6: Bryant, Baez, Castro, Russell, Alcantara and Rizzo.

One of these may be in the OF. Two may be in the OF. One may be traded.

We will still have a deep farm system, and will be positioned for LONG TERM success.

Cub fans' logic is nonexistent. Because it was 103 years when Theo got here, he should not have used a smart, patient approach to building LONG TERM. He should have tried to win NOW with the Prince Fielders of the world - aging, expensive FA's. And when that doesn't work, there is no Plan B, because they weren't acquiring top prospects.

But when Theo gets top draft picks, drafts well, and uses international signings to stock the next wave with guys like Eloy Jiminez - who will be coming up when other prospects are reaching arbitration time - impatient fans say "It's been 106 years now! He isn't doing anything".

I have not heard one single analyst/expert outside the organization criticize the Cubs' approach. Every one of them has praised what Theo and Jed are doing. Every one of them says the Cubs are going to be good and for a long time.

The fact that it had been 103 years when Theo took over doesn't mean he should have done it the wrong way. That's what Cub GM's have been doing since Dallas Green left. Green was the last guy we had who really "got it", and naturally he was criticized too.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If I had to rate safest players to riskiest with consideration of overall peak talent

Rizzo
Bryant
Schwarber(his k/bb rates in college/minors with that power are among the all time greats)
Almora(defense will play in the majors even if his bat doesn't)
Russell(think he's going to be better than Castro)
Castro(think he gets traded eventually and he wasn't this front office's "guy" as Hendry brought him in not that he's bad)
Baez(has obvious elite potential but his k rate is scary and it has caused as good prospects to fail)
Alcantara(I love him but he could get squeezed positionally)
Soler(heath)

Rest is probably too dependent on the guys above. I think the top 4 are likely locks to be on the team 5 years from now with Russell being close.

I admittedly don't know much about Schwarber - at least not in the sense of how scouts feel about his floor and ceiling. But from what I have read, he's a power hitting, poor defensive guy. I would consider that much riskier than Alcantara, for example. I think Alcantara will be up this year, and I believe he is the most underrated guy we have.

I agree on the rest of the list, including that Baez has high ceiling, but is less a "safe bet / sure thing" than Almora. But Castro being risky? I don't understand that. He's one of two guys on the list who has proven he is a major leaguer. He should be an All Start this year, marking three times he will be in AS game by age 24. He will have 850-875 hits at age 24. He has proven he belongs in MLB to say the very least.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I admittedly don't know much about Schwarber - at least not in the sense of how scouts feel about his floor and ceiling. But from what I have read, he's a power hitting, poor defensive guy. I would consider that much riskier than Alcantara, for example. I think Alcantara will be up this year, and I believe he is the most underrated guy we have.

I agree on the rest of the list, including that Baez has high ceiling, but is less a "safe bet / sure thing" than Almora. But Castro being risky? I don't understand that. He's one of two guys on the list who has proven he is a major leaguer. He should be an All Start this year, marking three times he will be in AS game by age 24. He will have 850-875 hits at age 24. He has proven he belongs in MLB to say the very least.

With regard to Schwarber, he's almost assuredly going to play LF. His defense will matter less there. As for hitting, if you do a search for hitters with 10% bb rate or higher and 18% or lower k rate with .200 ISO(less power than rizzo this year) from 1950-now with qualified plate appearances you get a group of players of which the worst were Brian Giles and Ryan Klesko. That's why I view him as safe.

With regard to Castro, some have suggested I don't like him which isn't really the case. Regardless, I put him there because I view his upside limited in comparison. For example, I think Almora and Castro end up similar level players though Almora is possibly the flip situation where he's elite defense and a below average hitter. Additionally, I don't view Castro as a lock to be on the team going forward. You don't trade for Russell if you have the kind of faith many here do in Castro. Again, I'm not saying he's a bad player. I just think with this kind of deal it signals Castro may not be in the Cubs long term plans if prospects work out. However, he's going to be a long time starter even if he's not on the cubs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
With regard to Schwarber, he's almost assuredly going to play LF. His defense will matter less there. As for hitting, if you do a search for hitters with 10% bb rate or higher and 18% or lower k rate with .200 ISO(less power than rizzo this year) from 1950-now with qualified plate appearances you get a group of players of which the worst were Brian Giles and Ryan Klesko. That's why I view him as safe.

With regard to Castro, some have suggested I don't like him which isn't really the case. Regardless, I put him there because I view his upside limited in comparison. For example, I think Almora and Castro end up similar level players though Almora is possibly the flip situation where he's elite defense and a below average hitter. Additionally, I don't view Castro as a lock to be on the team going forward. You don't trade for Russell if you have the kind of faith many here do in Castro. Again, I'm not saying he's a bad player. I just think with this kind of deal it signals Castro may not be in the Cubs long term plans if prospects work out. However, he's going to be a long time starter even if he's not on the cubs.

Glad to hear this about Schwarber. He's a guy I didn't know much about. I haven't really been looking at any info on him since he was drafted.

As for Castro, I think we agree. He will be playing a long time. And a few days ago, I said it was crazy to trade him. But depending on Russell's advancement, a trade of Castro becomes a very real possibility. Not saying I want to see him traded. But it would hurt less now.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Castro could very easily be the center piece to a deal to land pitching.

But Baez is not a MLB SS so he does not factor into the SS discussion.

Castro to the Yankees, Mets, or someone else next season when the Cubs are ready to call up Russell.

hester247

Liked Posts:
The plan is in action and I really think we're only ~2 years from serious contention, but what players will be plugged in where?

1B- Rizzo
2B- Alcantara
3B- Baez
SS- Castro
LF- Bryant
CF- Lake
RF- Schwarber

As for pitching, I think Arrieta and Wood will still be here in the starting rotation but I think we will have traded some prospects for a solid ace. Not sure what happens with the bullpen though.

Disagree with me? Agree? Let me know what you guys think!

C-Schwarber
1B-Rizzo
2B-Alcantara
SS-Russell
3B-Bryant
LF-Baez
CF-Almora
RF-Soler
SP-Arrieta
SP-Wood
SP-Edwards
SP???
SP???

Junior Lake, Starlin Castro, and Mike Olt will all be sold off for starting pitching at least in my GM mind this is what i would do