Let's start projecting what the Cubs will look like in a few years!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Castro could very easily be the center piece to a deal to land pitching.

But Baez is not a MLB SS so he does not factor into the SS discussion.

Castro to the Yankees, Mets, or someone else next season when the Cubs are ready to call up Russell.

Potentially the dodgers too. Hanley is a FA after the season. Additionally, prospect rich systems like Pittsburgh and Baltimore(if they let Hardy go),

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wow.

WTF are you wanting that they aren't doing?

Instant gratification? The usual "go for it now, one year window" type of team?

In one year, we will have an IF consisting of 4 of these 6: Bryant, Baez, Castro, Russell, Alcantara and Rizzo.

One of these may be in the OF. Two may be in the OF. One may be traded.

We will still have a deep farm system, and will be positioned for LONG TERM success.

Cub fans' logic is nonexistent. Because it was 103 years when Theo got here, he should not have used a smart, patient approach to building LONG TERM. He should have tried to win NOW with the Prince Fielders of the world - aging, expensive FA's. And when that doesn't work, there is no Plan B, because they weren't acquiring top prospects.

But when Theo gets top draft picks, drafts well, and uses international signings to stock the next wave with guys like Eloy Jiminez - who will be coming up when other prospects are reaching arbitration time - impatient fans say "It's been 106 years now! He isn't doing anything".

I have not heard one single analyst/expert outside the organization criticize the Cubs' approach. Every one of them has praised what Theo and Jed are doing. Every one of them says the Cubs are going to be good and for a long time.

The fact that it had been 103 years when Theo took over doesn't mean he should have done it the wrong way. That's what Cub GM's have been doing since Dallas Green left. Green was the last guy we had who really "got it", and naturally he was criticized too.

you do realize some of these guys are sox fans who can care less about the cubs and are only on here to provoke most of the time ????

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Glad you like it. You can see the same post in every other thread in the cubs forum.

---> Sent from above.
Whiny.

I thought the image was funny and didn't see it posted on here.

I actually don't think the deal is bad, but I'm one of the few people that likes to wait a year or two before making a more informed judgment on a deal.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Whiny.

I thought the image was funny and didn't see it posted on here.

I actually don't think the deal is bad, but I'm one of the few people that likes to wait a year or two before making a more informed judgment on a deal.
You have to wait n see when deals involve prospects...

But like last year when most were up in arms over dealing garza and how the cubs shouldve extended him cause he a TOR starter..

13 starts with Rangers 4W 5L 4,38 ERA 1.316 Whip
17 starts with Brewers 5W 5L 4.10 ERA 1.282 Whip

Right now it looks good for the cubs with neal ramirez alone, add in grimm and what theyve gotten out of olt and still have edwards in the wing.. cubs are early winners on this deal.

Not saying samardzija gonna go the route of garza but like you said you do need to wait at least a full season and see how it pans out overall for both teams..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett, you have been going hard on the hate since this trade. You didnt even consider Jeff a what? Top 75 pitcher in the league and he himself netted a top 10 prospect and a pitching project with potential. Not bad for not a top 75 pitcher. Im torn on this because Shark was one of my favorites, but I will let it play out on a couple different ends. The Cubs sign a TOR starter and maybe trade for one then the Cubs will most likely win this deal. Russell is a real good prospect, he is worth more than two top 100 players and a couple of throw ins any day.

Hammel also netted us a fringe top 100 player with a solid bat. Rest of his skills arent great though, but for a rental not a bad return.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
To be honest, I'm more interested in what pieces the Cubs will look to unload in order to supplement some elite starting pitching. Still, fans need to understand what an heist this is. Samardzija is a solid 3 who can pitch like a 2 for stretches and was miscast as an ace on the Cubs. Everyone always knew Hammel was a reclamation project and it's fair to say there weren't too many people who figured he would put on the performance he did while with the Cubs.

The Cubs landed the two best prospects in the A's system and a starter with 4+ years of salary control. Without spewing out a bunch of scouting info, Russell is another guy with an All-Star ceiling at a premium position. His approach is mature for a 20-year-old. McKinney is also a guy with above-average offensive tools at the dish. Think of it this way -- if Samardzija doesn't want to be here (which he pretty much made clear after rejecting the Cubs most recent offer) and Hammel is inline to probably double this year's salary, why not get top-tier value for them and give a chance to some of your young pitchers who're ML-ready? This team is rebuilding, so why not start pushing kids into the pool and let them swim?

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Why is everyone trading Castro away? Lol, I think he's solid and I want him to stay. Any particular reason you guys will think he'll be gone?

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Why is everyone trading Castro away? Lol, I think he's solid and I want him to stay. Any particular reason you guys will think he'll be gone?

I know these people are crazy who want Castro traded. We have several other pieces we can trade for pitching. All these middle IF's can move around the diamond if need be... But to outright trade Castro, who is a proven major league All-Star, because we have a new SS who has "potential" to be something, is fucking ridiculous!

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I know these people are crazy who want Castro traded. We have several other pieces we can trade for pitching. All these middle IF's can move around the diamond if need be... But to outright trade Castro, who is a proven major league All-Star, because we have a new SS who has "potential" to be something, is fucking ridiculous!

Yeah, that's my train of thought. Castro is fuckin 14 years old (obvious exaggeration lol) with 2 all star appearances and and 2 .300+ BA's. And he's showing this year that he has the ability to adjust and bounce back from a bad season. He's a keeper in my book, even if we have to move him to 2B or 3B

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Brett, you have been going hard on the hate since this trade. You didnt even consider Jeff a what? Top 75 pitcher in the league and he himself netted a top 10 prospect and a pitching project with potential. Not bad for not a top 75 pitcher. Im torn on this because Shark was one of my favorites, but I will let it play out on a couple different ends. The Cubs sign a TOR starter and maybe trade for one then the Cubs will most likely win this deal. Russell is a real good prospect, he is worth more than two top 100 players and a couple of throw ins any day.

Hammel also netted us a fringe top 100 player with a solid bat. Rest of his skills arent great though, but for a rental not a bad return.
Wow what fail. I called him a top 75 and as the season progressed a top 30 and agree with the experts that ge is a TOR guy. I also think he struggles in the AL

You severely overvalue Russell. You can't be objective.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wow what fail. I called him a top 75 and as the season progressed a top 30 and agree with the experts that ge is a TOR guy. I also think he struggles in the AL

Pretty sure nobody here is overvaluing a guy who's a perennial Top 10 prospect on virtually any list you look at with an elite, mature approach at the dish while playing a premium position and the defensive chops to stick at said position. Samardzija was the best pitcher on a 65-win team who's almost 30. Who'll be worth more to the Cubs in three years? Samardzija at 20 million a season or Russell two years into his career and still a pre-arb candidate? The A's overpaid because they have a two-year window. Hammel is essentially three month rental for them and they'll more than likely unload Samardzija at the next trade deadline in order to try and restock their farm system.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

So, every scout that has him in the top 10 as a prospect is not being objective?:rolling:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure nobody here is overvaluing a guy who's a perennial Top 10 prospect on virtually any list you look at with an elite, mature approach at the dish while playing a premium position and the defensive chops to stick at said position. Samardzija was the best pitcher on a 65-win team who's almost 30. Who'll be worth more to the Cubs in three years? Samardzija at 20 million a season or Russell two years into his career and still a pre-arb candidate? The A's overpaid because they have a two-year window. Hammel is essentially three month rental for them and they'll more than likely unload Samardzija at the next trade deadline in order to try and restock their farm system.
Time will tell