Locked Out

Will the NHL have a season in 2012-2013?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
In the short run, I'd agree with you that it would make sense for the owners. In the long run, I couldn't say with certainty. The TO area supporting a second team may bode well. I'm not sold on QC being a great spot (been there; done that) even though they will most likely require a 5 year guarantee plan for season ticket holders like they required in the Peg...and probably get. How will it work beyond that, I don't know.

I'm not in complete agreement that its going to help the players.

I don't see how it can hurt the players when it gives more of their "garbage asses" jobs and makes the stars look even better, giving them more leverage in contract negotiations.

You can never be certain with a new market, but if the economic gain makes up for lost revenue in the short run and gets small market teams out of some debt, I can definitely see why they would be trying it from an economic standpoint. The league has a tendency to think short-term.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see how it can hurt the players when it gives more of their "garbage asses" jobs and makes the stars look even better, giving them more leverage in contract negotiations.

You can never be certain with a new market, but if the economic gain makes up for lost revenue in the short run and gets small market teams out of some debt, I can definitely see why they would be trying it from an economic standpoint. The league has a tendency to think short-term.

Wrong! god you are wrong!

let me guess, you now know economics and business because you are taking a AP econ class in HS? amirite?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Wrong! god you are wrong!

let me guess, you now know economics and business because you are taking a AP econ class in HS? amirite?

Well instead of saying "wrong" and resorting to personal cases, explain what is wrong with that statement.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I laugh at the "garbage asses" helping with contract negotiations....thats so fucking stupid to think that would have a significant impact. Teams need to be relocated, not expanded. it will be just another team that will be owned by the NHL at some point.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
For someone who likes to call people out for reading comprehension, one word posts, not elaborating, etc... damn.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I laugh at the "garbage asses" helping with contract negotiations....thats so fucking stupid to think that would have a significant impact. Teams need to be relocated, not expanded. it will be just another team that will be owned by the NHL at some point.

I was just saying that them being there wouldn't hurt player's negotiating room, it would put good talent at even more of a premium.

And I never fucking said expansion is the right way to go, for the billionth fucking time, you have the reading comprehension of Captain Obvious lately.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

Stars won't be looking better - they'll look worse. I mean, how good would Stamkos look without St. Louis (sorry - couldn't resist)? It's hard for teams to rack up multiple stars now (generally it takes some big-time tanking like the Pens and Hawks have done in order to succeed--the Oil are going through those pains now hoping they'll pay off at some point in the future). Or worse yet, a star gets decapitated out there because a rat got a job he shouldn't have.

The league has had no reason to look long term because of how god awful the organization the PA has been. They could always rely on redoing the CBA the way they want to upon expiration because of the weakness and divisions amongst the players. The PA has never even come close to having a leader like Fehr before. Fehr is a game changer; he can unite.

Some of these places that are struggling should never have even been considered as a NHL destination. But, what's done is done and G.B. and the owners refuse to suck it up and say they made a mistake and attempt to really fix it. Instead, in their stubborn ways, they adhere band aid on top of band aid so the admission of any mistake never needs to happen. The arrogance is sickening.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Stars won't be looking better - they'll look worse. I mean, how good would Stamkos look without St. Louis (sorry - couldn't resist)? It's hard for teams to rack up multiple stars now (generally it takes some big-time tanking like the Pens and Hawks have done in order to succeed--the Oil are going through those pains now hoping they'll pay off at some point in the future). Or worse yet, a star gets decapitated out there because a rat got a job he shouldn't have.

The league has had no reason to look long term because of how god awful the organization the PA has been. They could always rely on redoing the CBA the way they want to upon expiration because of the weakness and divisions amongst the players. The PA has never even come close to having a leader like Fehr before. Fehr is a game changer; he can unite.

Some of these places that are struggling should never have even been considered as a NHL destination. But, what's done is done and G.B. and the owners refuse to suck it up and say they made a mistake and attempt to really fix it. Instead, in their stubborn ways, they adhere band aid on top of band aid so the admission of any mistake never needs to happen. The arrogance is sickening.

We aren't talking about the other players going away, just more shit players coming in, which therefore make the output from stars greater as they have more favorable matchups. The stars would be on first lines still with other good players, they wouldn't be putting Stamkos on the 4th line with the garbage asses, but he'd be raping some garbage ass defenders if he ever got a chance to be out there at the same time.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
We aren't talking about the other players going away, just more shit players coming in, which therefore make the output from stars greater as they have more favorable matchups. The stars would be on first lines still with other good players, they wouldn't be putting Stamkos on the 4th line with the garbage asses, but he'd be raping some garbage ass defenders if he ever got a chance to be out there at the same time.

While I see how you came to your logical conclusion, it doesn't work that way.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was just saying that them being there wouldn't hurt player's negotiating room, it would put good talent at even more of a premium.

And I never fucking said expansion is the right way to go, for the billionth fucking time, you have the reading comprehension of Captain Obvious lately.

but you are defending it you moron. if you arent for it,shut the fuck up about it. stop playing the ccs devils advocate as it is quite transparent.

heres a piece from a year ago from the Toronto Sun

The news wasn't good at the NHL's board of governors' meeting last week. A third of the league's teams -- Atlanta, Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Nashville, New Jersey, the N.Y. Islanders, Phoenix, St. Louis and Tampa -- are having attendance problems and are in deep trouble. Unfortunately, there's not enough room north of the border to relocate all of them.

there is NO short or long term gain at all by expanding the league. It would benefit NO ONE.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

OMFG! again the "garbage asses" wouldnt be that significant.....especially in negotiating. enough with the dumb posts.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
but you are defending it you moron. if you arent for it,shut the fuck up about it. stop playing the ccs devils advocate as it is quite transparent.

there is NO short or long term gain at all by expanding the league. It would benefit NO ONE.

I'm against expansion...but there would definitely be plenty of people that would benefit from a bigger league. From the owner all the way down to the new jobs that would be created...there are plenty of benefits, especially if these new teams were put in a successful location that had season ticket holder commitment.

With that being said, it still shouldn't be in the best interest of the league to dilute the talent pool any more just to make a few more bucks. The NHL is a business though, so who knows what they will do. I still feel the best thing would be to get rid of a couple weak teams and add a couple of strong teams to take their place.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Right, because teams struggling economically would not benefit at all from 33.3 million right into their pockets from expansion fees and a realignment that lowers travel costs significantly. Okay. And I am "defending it" because a) I was attacked as the messenger and b) you are overreacting to it saying that there is absolutely no bright side and I'm explaining that while a net negative, it is not 100% negative.

OMFG! again the "garbage asses" wouldnt be that significant.....especially in negotiating. enough with the dumb posts.

I posted that in response to another erroneous post that extra "garbage asses" would make players like Stamkos perform worse. To bring something back to equilibrium, you have to go to the other extreme sometimes.

I'm against expansion...but there would definitely be plenty of people that would benefit from a bigger league. From the owner all the way down to the new jobs that would be created...there are plenty of benefits, especially if these new teams were put in a successful location that had season ticket holder commitment.

With that being said, it still shouldn't be in the best interest of the league to dilute the talent pool any more just to make a few more bucks. The NHL is a business though, so who knows what they will do. I still feel the best thing would be to get rid of a couple weak teams and add a couple of strong teams to take their place.

Bingo.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

My original thought was to combine a couple of teams and move them. Its been done before in this league...it wouldn't be precident setting. Unfortunately, when they did it before there was a huge, huge drop from the good teams to the bad ones....doubtful it could work now given the parity these days.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, because teams struggling economically would not benefit at all from 33.3 million right into their pockets from expansion fees and a realignment that lowers travel costs significantly. Okay. And I am "defending it" because a) I was attacked as the messenger and b) you are overreacting to it saying that there is absolutely no bright side and I'm explaining that while a net negative, it is not 100% negative.

I posted that in response to another erroneous post that extra "garbage asses" would make players like Stamkos perform worse. To bring something back to equilibrium, you have to go to the other extreme sometimes.

Bingo.

you are 100% clueless. The revenue would still not be even close to helping the team that are hurting, not even close. Go focus on the MLS expansion stay away from hockey ok? thanks.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My original thought was to combine a couple of teams and move them. Its been done before in this league...it wouldn't be precident setting. Unfortunately, when they did it before there was a huge, huge drop from the good teams to the bad ones....doubtful it could work now given the parity these days.

expanding would eliminate teams that are not so far from collapse to be able to move to one of those cities. you have atleast 4 teams right now that need to be moved (combination or not) those 4 teams need to be moved to the cities that would generate interest...after that where do you expand? kind of ironic how they speak of expanding when their more recent expansion teams are on the bubble. than again its the NHL.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
you are 100% clueless. The revenue would still not be even close to helping the team that are hurting, not even close. Go focus on the MLS expansion stay away from hockey ok? thanks.

Well you were significantly more clueless about MLS expansion than I am here, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.