Looking at the Bears Cap Future

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It'll be funny to see the reactions here if Long is cut. This is the same GM that cut Sitton & Slauson even when they were playing at high levels(although Slauson wasn't a scheme fit). Pace has shown to not keep OG's around when their play is declining and are 30+. Long's play is still good but it's nothing that is difficult to replace. Would not surprise me to see him cut. If it's between paying Amos or keeping Long, I'd rather keep Amos (or just move on from both altogether).

Why isn't difficult to replace? He just spent an entire game owning Gerald McCoy.

That 5 million you save doesn't even buy you a competent OG anymore.

You know what 5 million buys you at OG? Brandon Fusco or Patrick Omameh.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why isn't difficult to replace? He just spent an entire game owning Gerald McCoy.

That 5 million you save doesn't even buy you a competent OG anymore.

You know what 5 million buys you at OG? Brandon Fusco or Patrick Omameh.

And he struggled against the Pack & Seahawks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He hasn't really struggled this season. I would say that AZ was his worst game and that was more because of the blitzs that the entire OL struggled with.

You would be downgrading and in the end saving 0 money once you pay a loser like Omameh to come in and start at RG.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Long played well enough against GB....he allowed a couple of heavy pressures but he did a good enough job and dominated several plays

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It definitely wouldn't be smart to purposely lose depth, but when we do lose players to FA, b/c of being Cap strapped, Pace have shown uncanny ability to find under the radar, diamond in a rough prospects in mid to late rounds.

So if we'll be able to re-sign Callahan, Lynch, Amos, etc. great, if not, in Pace we trust (to find adequate replacements).

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
It'll be funny to see the reactions here if Long is cut. This is the same GM that cut Sitton & Slauson even when they were playing at high levels(although Slauson wasn't a scheme fit). Pace has shown to not keep OG's around when their play is declining and are 30+. Long's play is still good but it's nothing that is difficult to replace. Would not surprise me to see him cut. If it's between paying Amos or keeping Long, I'd rather keep Amos (or just move on from both altogether).

slauson may be a better example since he had a dead cap hit of under a mill...sitton was not cut, he simply didnt have his option picked up...
cutting long would create 3 mill in deadl cap space while creating 5mill in cap space. I do see pace parting ways with long but it will be after 2019 when his cap hit is only 1.5 mill. I can see pace drafting guards/tackle in this years draft to start grooming them.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Bears need a blocking TE after sims cut or use a oline player. Strong safety and RT for depth or starting purposes id like us to draft someone and let coward and draftee battle it out. Honestly after those 3 i don't see a huge blaring need depth is going to be our draft picks these next two seasonsm

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
High End

Aaron Colvin 4 years 34 million/18 guaranteed [Which we cannot afford]

Mid Range

D.J Hayden 3 years 19 million/9.5 guaranteed [We can afford]

Lower End

Nikel Robey-Coleman 3 years 15.5 million/8 guaranteed

All 3 players are primarily slot CBs.

Thanks Windy, your knowledge of contracts and cap information never ceases to amaze me. Hopefully they can sign Callahan for about the 6.5-7.5M/year range, but agree that anything reaching the Colvin contract might be too much.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
It is bye week without anything to talk about.

Also, some of us have to keep an eye on the future.

Amos will be gone. Perhaps we get a 4th or 5th compensatory pick? Callahan followed by Lynch for sure in terms of keeping.

White will be gone unless he accepts a really cheap 1 year deal. However he's going to want playing time and Wims could end up being a steal. Tough loss given he was a first rounder.

I don't think they'll be able to afford to keep Howard later on. We have the rest of this season and the next one with Howard and then he'll likely be gone. More is the shame as he's great but I just don't see it.

Priority will be given to Trubisky and Floyd and then people like Cohen in a Nagy offense.

RRH over Bullard all day later on.

Coward getting practise time every day against Mack is hopefully great for his and the Bears long term future at RT.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
He hasn't really struggled this season. I would say that AZ was his worst game and that was more because of the blitzs that the entire OL struggled with.

You would be downgrading and in the end saving 0 money once you pay a loser like Omameh to come in and start at RG.

I doubt they get rid of Long. At least until his next contract is up.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
The Bears are in nowhere near the cap situation where they need to cut anyone.

Long and Trevathan are playing at a high level right now.

I suspect we are going to be outbid for some of our guys in the near future though. We will see a lot of what they did with Alshon and Fuller where we have to let the guys test the market and then react to the offers. If Amos finds a cold market than maybe he is back.

It's a shame we didn't sign Eric Reid.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Whats the story on Dejon Allen? Just saw he was on our PS. Below is his NFL scouting report. Seems a bit light at 290. Any chance this guy is worth a shit?

You can't blame Allen for taking his game to beautiful Honolulu despite being a top-40 interior lineman recruit out of Compton, California, in 2013 (who also wrestled and participated in track and baseball in high school). Allen earned the starting right guard spot in the second game of his redshirt freshman campaign. He was the team's best lineman in 2015, starting all 13 games (12 at right guard, one at left guard) before garnering second-team All-Mountain West honors at left tackle (starting all 14 games) for the Rainbow Warriors in 2016. He graduated to first-team all-conference in 2017, starting 10 games at left tackle. Allen's natural position is guard, with his heavy hands and mobility portending an NFL future.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Whats the story on Dejon Allen? Just saw he was on our PS. Below is his NFL scouting report. Seems a bit light at 290. Any chance this guy is worth a shit?
He did well if he is on the practice squad with this Oline he's the best kept secret on our ps

richb688

Liked Posts:
When it comes to the came it is not money left but percentage of cap space left because every year the teams get more for the cap-so dollars amount is not the main issue.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
We do not have the cash for it, even on an incentive laden deal.

It was a 1 year $1.39m deal. We couldn't afford that? Ideally he would have been worked into the rotation a little this season but not enough to make him anywhere near as expensive as Amos next season. Then you re-sign him.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Kyle Long is not worth keeping unless he takes a pay cut. Pace drafted Roquan to be the signal caller on defense. Trevathan is expendable after this season once Smith gets enough reps. All you want next to Smith at ILB is a tackling machine. That can be found in FA for cheap at 3-4 ILB plus Iggy seems like the right prospect for that slot as well.

Why would you keep Lynch at 5 million when guys like Lamar Houston are sitting at home? Guys like Lynch can be found ever year in FA. That 5 million can to go to Amos and be a much better use of cap space considering that the Bears have Irving/Fitts behind Lynch and really nobody behind Amos.

A rookie punter or one of the dozens of guys that have NFL experience sitting at home at league minimum is a better use of cap dollars than mega punt at 2 million.

If I’m Pace my priority is to somehow get rid of Chase Daniel’s cap hit. You’d hope that Trubisky won’t need a babysitter after this season.

You're cutting some pretty impactful players and asking for zero return.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Lynch continues his play, he won't be back next year. He'll get more money from another team.