Looking at the Bears Cap Future

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t also put too much stock into a 190 million cap either. Attendance and viewership is down again. Not sure how much more this can happen without affecting the cap. Cap is more likely to be flat in my opinion.

They had one of their highest profit years last year and just renegotiated their TV deals for more money than ever.

The cap will keep rising.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kyle Long is not worth keeping unless he takes a pay cut. Pace drafted Roquan to be the signal caller on defense. Trevathan is expendable after this season once Smith gets enough reps. All you want next to Smith at ILB is a tackling machine. That can be found in FA for cheap at 3-4 ILB plus Iggy seems like the right prospect for that slot as well.

Why would you keep Lynch at 5 million when guys like Lamar Houston are sitting at home? Guys like Lynch can be found ever year in FA. That 5 million can to go to Amos and be a much better use of cap space considering that the Bears have Irving/Fitts behind Lynch and really nobody behind Amos.

A rookie punter or one of the dozens of guys that have NFL experience sitting at home at league minimum is a better use of cap dollars than mega punt at 2 million.

If I’m Pace my priority is to somehow get rid of Chase Daniel’s cap hit. You’d hope that Trubisky won’t need a babysitter after this season.

Aaron Lynch at the rate he is going do not appear in free agency every year. The bad SF version does.

Cutting Daniels saves 3 million next season. That is really nothing for a competent backup.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Here is the real problem with Amos.

If he is making 7 million, Eddie Jackson is eligible for an extension after 2019. You could have 17 million+ invested in the safety position.

This team is not set up to have 17 million dollars at safety. Not with what they invest in the front 7 and at CB.
This is where ancillary facts come into play. Yes, that's a rough pill to swallow. Especially since Mitch will need an extension in (or after) 2020 if that pans out. BUT the current cba expires after the 2020 season. And that will likely mean increased cap space. This will be to accomodate more games.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This looks like it took a ton of effort. I'm not saying windy city is the best poster on here but if you want to crown him then go ahead and crown his ass.

The rest of you boobs could use a lesson on informative, thought provoking posts.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Aaron Lynch at the rate he is going do not appear in free agency every year. The bad SF version does.

Cutting Daniels saves 3 million next season. That is really nothing for a competent backup.

You’re paying Mack 20 million a season in order to go dumpster diving for situational pass rushers in FA every year. Lynch is playing well for a contract from another team in the offseason. This would be a moot point if Leonard Floyd could rush the passer. That’s the real problem here not re-signing Lynch.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why are people so insistent on cutting our best players? Cut Long! Cut Danny! I mean do you people watch the fucking games? Or are you football stupid? These are good players.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Why are people so insistent on cutting our best players? Cut Long! Cut Danny! I mean do you people watch the fucking games? Or are you football stupid? These are good players.

No one wants to cut productive players. But good teams can't afford to keep all of them. Pretty sure you know this...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If it comes down to paying Jackson or paying Amos, you pay Jackson and let Amos walk.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No one wants to cut productive players. But good teams can't afford to keep all of them. Pretty sure you know this...

Big difference between choosing to not re-sign a guy or two and getting some comp picks for said players

vs

Cutting good players, leaving dead cap space, and then having to find their replacements. (and getting no comp picks)

Long for instance would save 5,000,000 but you'd still have 3,000,000 in dead cap space. And you have to replace him. Makes no sense unless he's hurt or not playing at a high level.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Nice cap analysis Windy, agree amos is going to be odd man out, i see the same thing happening to howard as well. If i were pace I'd offer RRH an extension now to see if I can get him a little cheaper than if he has another big year and will look for more money.

Draft wise i think pace needs to look for RB's in case of whatever happens with howard...Singletary and Gaskin would be my top choices but they may be gone by the time the bears pick...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nice cap analysis Windy, agree amos is going to be odd man out, i see the same thing happening to howard as well. If i were pace I'd offer RRH an extension now to see if I can get him a little cheaper than if he has another big year and will look for more money.

Draft wise i think pace needs to look for RB's in case of whatever happens with howard...Singletary and Gaskin would be my top choices but they may be gone by the time the bears pick...

I agree that Howard and Amos are probably the guys who will be the odd guys out from the list of good Pace picks.

Can you imagine if the Bears actually got comp picks?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I agree that Howard and Amos are probably the guys who will be the odd guys out from the list of good Pace picks.

Can you imagine if the Bears actually got comp picks?

i know right!

it would mean that this is a team that can actually let talent walk without having to sign anyone big in free agency....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Bears are in nowhere near the cap situation where they need to cut anyone.

Long and Trevathan are playing at a high level right now.

I suspect we are going to be outbid for some of our guys in the near future though. We will see a lot of what they did with Alshon and Fuller where we have to let the guys test the market and then react to the offers. If Amos finds a cold market than maybe he is back.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Hey Windy, great stuff man. I really like how much you consider other contracts in future years and not just short sighted on who is coming up for re-signing.

Just outta curiosity, I think Callahan is the most important re-sign, even more so than Amos or Lynch. I think it's hard to find good corners more than a good safety and Lynch is a #3 OLB, with Fitts and Irving still growing. How much would Callahan's extension and what would you guess the length of that contract would be?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Hey Windy, great stuff man. I really like how much you consider other contracts in future years and not just short sighted on who is coming up for re-signing.

Just outta curiosity, I think Callahan is the most important re-sign, even more so than Amos or Lynch. I think it's hard to find good corners more than a good safety and Lynch is a #3 OLB, with Fitts and Irving still growing. How much would Callahan's extension and what would you guess the length of that contract would be?

I agree here. Lynch is a luxury, not a necessity, IMO. If Floyd can't pick it up then the point is somewhat moot, but maybe then you let Floyd walk and re-sign Lynch instead. Either way, i'm alright with having guys like Irving and Fitts waiting in the wings to get a shot.

I only cut Kyle Long if he gets hurt again. He might not ever get back to as good as he was but he's still an important piece of the locker room. Same with Travathan, we gotta re-sign him to a 2-year deal or something if it won't break the bank.

Jackson is a ball-hawk. Those are the guys that you pay in the defensive backfield. Amos is a luxury there right now, and as such, why Pace extended Goldman and not Amos. I think he's as good as gone. Callahan is definitely an important piece cause defenses really need 3 reliable, good corners and it's hard to find a tough-nosed tackling nickel that can cover like Callahan can. We're really lucky with what we have now. It's pretty extraordinary how Pace has made this roster over after starting out with hot garbage.

Tee

Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars
Nice in depth look.

One question, cap space increases year to year right?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nice in depth look.

One question, cap space increases year to year right?

It usually does. How much is determined by revenue. They are usually pretty accurate at predicting it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

High End

Aaron Colvin 4 years 34 million/18 guaranteed [Which we cannot afford]

Mid Range

D.J Hayden 3 years 19 million/9.5 guaranteed [We can afford]

Lower End

Nikel Robey-Coleman 3 years 15.5 million/8 guaranteed

All 3 players are primarily slot CBs.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It'll be funny to see the reactions here if Long is cut. This is the same GM that cut Sitton & Slauson even when they were playing at high levels(although Slauson wasn't a scheme fit). Pace has shown to not keep OG's around when their play is declining and are 30+. Long's play is still good but it's nothing that is difficult to replace. Would not surprise me to see him cut. If it's between paying Amos or keeping Long, I'd rather keep Amos (or just move on from both altogether).