Looking at the Bears Cap Future

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you happen to know how often a 5th round pick produces anything approaching Adrian Amos' level of production the past 3 years? I'll save you the time. You have a better chance of getting a supermodel girlfriend.

If you go back to Amos' draft year [2015] and the year after [2016] you have a

13/77 or a 17% chance to find someone as good or better than Amos.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I suppose a better question then to pose to you would be who of the above stated players do you consider to be core players you keep no matter what. Jackson of course included.

All 6 of those are more important to me than Amos and I would add RRH to the list.

All of those guys and RRH are more important than Amos, Callahan and Lynch. I would not sign any of them if it jeopardized those 7.

Core/Can't Lose Players

Whitehair
Jackson
Cohen
RRH
Maybe Floyd

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You sure Pace will be able to afford to do that? Am I spotting a trend here with you not caring about DBs you don't perceive to be elite? Since you're also saying Callahan isn't worth keeping while he was also a highly rated nickel corner as well.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here is an unpopular opinion that could be an option. With the emergence of Daniels, I would say we have 3 pretty solid Guards. Daniels, Kush, Long. What if we cut Long and go into next season with Kush/Daniels as our Guards. Take the money we save from cutting Long and give Amos a deal. Then draft another Guard in the draft :shrug:

Not sure what to do about the RT position though.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here is an unpopular opinion that could be an option. With the emergence of Daniels, I would say we have 3 pretty solid Guards. Daniels, Kush, Long. What if we cut Long and go into next season with Kush/Daniels as our Guards. Take the money we save from cutting Long and give Amos a deal. Then draft another Guard in the draft :shrug:

That is a plan I could get behind. Kyle is overrated to me and still has brainfarts in protection despite being a veteran.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If long finishes the season healthy there is no way I cut someone like him

I think you can fit Amos depending on what the plan is at rt. Otherwise he is likely gone.

There is allot more that goes into this speculation also. They will look at projected FA. They will look at their scouting report on guys likely available rounds 4-7. I think they will evaluate all that before saying we need to re-sign so and so or move on

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If I am being perfectly honest with myself about Amos, I am expecting Pace to make an offer then allow him to test free agency if Adrian doesn't like it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If I am being perfectly honest with myself about Amos, I am expecting Pace to make an offer then allow him to test free agency if Adrian doesn't like it.

I don’t think he will cost as much as people think. I’m thinking 4years 20mil

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:

Is Long worth keeping? Maybe I don't know how to evaluate tackles? To me, he is expensive, old and hurt all the time. With a great Oline in HH, why don't we let Long go and "coach up" a new draft pick?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is Long worth keeping? Maybe I don't know how to evaluate tackles? To me, he is expensive, old and hurt all the time. With a great Oline in HH, why don't we let Long go and "coach up" a new draft pick?

You're repeating what I said.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Here is the biggest challenge: The Bears only have 37 players under contract in 2019.

Re-signings [22.85 million]

CB Bryce Callahan 3 years 18 million/7 guaranteed [4]
OLB Aaron Lynch 3 years 16 million/7.5 guaranteed [5]
RB Benny Cunnigham 2 years 3 million/1 guaranteed [1]
OG Eric Kush 2 years 2.8 million/800k guaranteed [.8]
LS Patrick Scales 1 year 750k/250k guaranteed [.75]
P Pat O'Donnell 2 years 4.5 million/1.5 guareanteed [1.5]
WR Josh Bellamy 2 years 2.2 million/700k guaranteed [.7]
FB Michael Burton 1 year 1.1 million/100k guaranteed [1.1]
TE Daniel Brown 1 year 1.1 million/250k guaranteed

RFA/ERFA Tendered [6.9 million]

RRH [2.9, 2nd round]
Deandre Houston-Carson [1.9 Original Round]
Ben Braunacker [700k]
Rashaad Coward [700k]
Isiah Irving [700k]

Dump Burton, Brown, Benny. You don't spend 1 million plus on a FB, 4th string TE, and 3rd RB. All positions you can easily fill late in draft or as UDFA.

As for Lynch, to afford him at a little over $5 million a year means he probably didn't get 7+ sacks in a season in which case he is not worth that contract. The problem is if he does get 7+ sacks then he probably ends up costing too much unless we planning on definitely moving on from Floyd. If he is more of a 4-5 sack rotational piece then let him walk and give a young guy a chance.

I think the must sign is Callhan hen you can use he money above to sign Amos unless Lynch does get 7+ sacks and somehow ends up being reasonably priced.

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
This shit makes my head hurt. Let’s just let them win the Super Bowl this year and go into hibernation for another 30+ years. Per usual...

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Kyle Long is not worth keeping unless he takes a pay cut. Pace drafted Roquan to be the signal caller on defense. Trevathan is expendable after this season once Smith gets enough reps. All you want next to Smith at ILB is a tackling machine. That can be found in FA for cheap at 3-4 ILB plus Iggy seems like the right prospect for that slot as well.

Why would you keep Lynch at 5 million when guys like Lamar Houston are sitting at home? Guys like Lynch can be found ever year in FA. That 5 million can to go to Amos and be a much better use of cap space considering that the Bears have Irving/Fitts behind Lynch and really nobody behind Amos.

A rookie punter or one of the dozens of guys that have NFL experience sitting at home at league minimum is a better use of cap dollars than mega punt at 2 million.

If I’m Pace my priority is to somehow get rid of Chase Daniel’s cap hit. You’d hope that Trubisky won’t need a babysitter after this season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What about cutting Long?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t also put too much stock into a 190 million cap either. Attendance and viewership is down again. Not sure how much more this can happen without affecting the cap. Cap is more likely to be flat in my opinion.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn’t also put too much stock into a 190 million cap either. Attendance and viewership is down again. Not sure how much more this can happen without affecting the cap. Cap is more likely to be flat in my opinion.

Except its actually not. Viewership is dropping because people are watching on so many platforms now like Twitch, HULU etc. etc.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Attendance is far more important than viewership. Many games are barely a third full. Way too many no shows. The alt media platforms are definitely soaking up some viewership but does the NFL have a mechanism to catch any revenue from these places yet?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Will Amos turn out to be our next Tony Parrish?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Attendance is far more important than viewership. Many games are barely a third full. Way too many no shows. The alt media platforms are definitely soaking up some viewership but does the NFL have a mechanism to catch any revenue from these places yet?

Except, again, its not. Bad teams always have bad attendance because the fans have no motivation to spend money on a shit product. Show me bad attendance for a single good team in the NFL right now. Even then, a lot of those empty seats are sold tickets that don't have asses filling them and on top of that ticket sales are a fraction of total team income. The only thing that has happened is that NFL's growth has slowed. They still aren't actually feeling any effects of the SJWs that never gave a shit about football to begin with.