Looking at the Future Cap

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I wonder how Robinson's camp is against signing a deal before July? If he plays out this year on his tag and let's say Fields (hell even Dalton for that matter, but more so JF1 comes in) he is going to put up some monster numbers. Pace really fucked himself on this one.

I think a lot you underestimate how good he is. I read somewhere that he ranked #1 in the league 67% or some ridiculous number, weren't deemed catchable balls that he made.
Not underestimating how good he is at all. But I definitely don't think better QB automatically = better numbers for Robinson. It's not like he's putting up chump numbers. It's tough to get better than 102 catches, 1250 yards. He's never had more catches. He's only once had more yards. The biggest area of improvement would be TDs and that's more on Nagy than it is the actual skillset of Robinson or either QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder how Robinson's camp is against signing a deal before July? If he plays out this year on his tag and let's say Fields (hell even Dalton for that matter, but more so JF1 comes in) he is going to put up some monster numbers. Pace really fucked himself on this one.

I think a lot you underestimate how good he is. I read somewhere that he ranked #1 in the league 67% or some ridiculous number, weren't deemed catchable balls that he made.
That is a lot of injury risk for a guy to accept that blew his knee last time he was in a contract year.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Not underestimating how good he is at all. But I definitely don't think better QB automatically = better numbers for Robinson. It's not like he's putting up chump numbers. It's tough to get better than 102 catches, 1250 yards. He's never had more catches. He's only once had more yards. The biggest area of improvement would be TDs and that's more on Nagy than it is the actual skillset of Robinson or either QB.
This is a great point and not one I really ever see being talked about. I mean, what do people think Robinson's ceiling is? 14-1500 yards? 2000?

I think like you said, the TDs could go up (a bit on Nagy too), but also what might hurt him is that Fields presumably won't lock onto him as much. Especially since the MoonMan will be burning people deep and Fields loves to throw the deep ball (and is great at it). I think Mooney and Kmet's numbers go up all around. Bears will also likely get better production from the slot position as well (hopefully). I expect Robinson to finish with right around the same stats, more or less.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think his yardage goes up, receptions down a bit and TD up.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is a lot of injury risk for a guy to accept that blew his knee last time he was in a contract year.
I mean.. $18M fully guaranteed is not really a risk. He breaks again he’s made what? 60 million dollars off the bears?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I mean.. $18M fully guaranteed is not really a risk. He breaks again he’s made what? 60 million dollars off the bears?
He would still get a lucrative deal even if he were to get injured this season.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Take the Daniels contract out.

I think you guys are under estimating Daniels, but we will see this year.

The Bears can afford a legit add to the OL and some tier 2 help.
Bears fans have short memories. Since Daniels was out of sight out of mind last year, he now sucks apparently despite being the Bears best OL the games he played. Hopeful Daniels comes back a monster and rebounds well from his torn peck.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'd say screw it and not lose sleep on paying Robinson the extra $ a year, or at least get close to the guaranteed money he wants. He is a bona fide receiver and I want to keep him around as Fields begins his career.

This is our best chance at having a legit dangerous offense since Cutler was throwing to Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte and Bennett (sure, our coach was predictable as fuck and couldn't adjust when he got figured out, but there's no arguing that the talent was there to dominate). Let's not screw it up by letting our most proven offensive talent walk out the door.

I'd change my tune if we brought in someone who legit can replace that production as a #1 receiver, but right now who can you point to that could be a FA next year, who we could get for less money than Robinson is asking

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Bears fans have short memories. Since Daniels was out of sight out of mind last year, he now sucks apparently despite being the Bears best OL the games he played. Hopeful Daniels comes back a monster and rebounds well from his torn peck.

What's even funnier than that, since he didn't have a very good game against Vea before he got hurt they take it that he sucks. Vea has made better interior O-linemen look just as bad or worse.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
There's obviously better D linemen than Nichols but it's not like they're easy to find. The dude took on a role last year that wasn't his natural position and still played well. Back at 3-4 end rather than trying to hold down the middle could do him wonders. I won't be surprised one bit if he basically takes over that dominant 3-4 end role from Hicks and earns himself $10+ mil per.

I don't see Daniels coming in and earning top of the market money. He's good but not that good. Maybe $8-9 mil per but that remains to be seen.

Lastly regarding Robinson, it's easy to look at the big money and say we should just let him walk. Are we really going to do that when we're wanting to develop our franchise QB? Robinson is easily a top 15 WR in the league considering what's he done with trash at QB his whole career. He deserves near top money and the offense would have a tough time making up for his loss.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What's even funnier than that, since he didn't have a very good game against Vea before he got hurt they take it that he sucks. Vea has made better interior O-linemen look just as bad or worse.
Agreed. And tbf, I'm not agreeing that Daniels should be given that contract today (I know it's a hypothetical), but if he balls out this year then yeah it's reasonable.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Agreed. And tbf, I'm not agreeing that Daniels should be given that contract today (I know it's a hypothetical), but if he balls out this year then yeah it's reasonable.
Do OL actually "ball out???"

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He’s a beast.