Love Animals

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Agelenopsis aka Grass Spiders aka Funnel Web spiders, is what I ended up capturing and raising/releasing.

If spiders are hungry they'll eat almost any insect.

I also found a really large red house spider the other day, moved it to a corner outside where it can do its work.

I figure any funnel weaver is going to weave silk webs in the cracks and either catch the pests or at least block access.

I found 4 distinct funnel webs on the bushes in front of my house and I can catch views of (hopefully my) spiders at the entrance, lying in wait for prey.

Last year I only saw that one which I captured and then raised her spiderlings after she passed.

Even big spiders just make me happy now, I just scoop em up in a plastic cup with a plastic spoon and find them a nice spot to setup a new web.
That's cool. Funnel Web spiders are my old friends. Had so many where I grew up. I used to take em home in my hand when I was a kid. Was bite lots of a times. No big deal. Fed them every insect in the yard. Don't have any where I live now.

Been awhile since I've seen a red house spider. Never saw one in my house, but I've seen em outside before.

I may need one of those Goliath Birdeaters to get rid of fisch tho....
"Get rid of fisch"? you mean fish or finches? lol

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's cool. Funnel Web spiders are my old friends. Had so many where I grew up. I used to take em home in my hand when I was a kid. Was bite lots of a times. No big deal. Fed them every insect in the yard. Don't have any where I live now.

Been awhile since I've seen a red house spider. Never saw one in my house, but I've seen em outside before.

"Get rid of fisch"? you mean fish or finches? lol

I'd never seen a red house spider like that one I caught.

If it was closer to Fall/Winter I may have kept it, but figured it'd enjoy hunting outside better.

The fisch thing is a joke from way back about @nwfisch living my my bus(c)hes and stealing neighborhood dogs/children lol.

I have 3/4 inch crickets in a Rubbermaid tub downstairs.

Originally I thought I'd breed them and feed to the spiders, but the spiders never seemed hungry enough for such a large prey item.

I gave a couple crickets to my gerbils to see how they'd react (they do eat crickets naturally) and they both reacted the same way in multiple instances.... like a fucking Demigorgon in Stranger Things lol, they chase the cricket down and devour it without hesitation.

I mostly keep the crickets because I enjoy the background noise to the house lol.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@tardigrade I've seen this big grey cat come thru my busches adjacent to my patio a few times the last month.

It looks like the one in your avvy TBH.

And its big.... like it is probably a 15-20lb cat.

S'long as it leaves my chins alone we cool.

If I get the chance I'll snap a pic.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
@tardigrade I've seen this big grey cat come thru my busches adjacent to my patio a few times the last month.

It looks like the one in your avvy TBH.

And its big.... like it is probably a 15-20lb cat.

S'long as it leaves my chins alone we cool.

If I get the chance I'll snap a pic.
We're about to have a yard so we're hoping the cat in my pic can prowl our yard and encourage the neighbors to stay inside and leave us alone

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saw a deer just laying in neighbor's yard chilling out a couple blocks up.
Better than running across the road.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
YaTL9tp.jpg

SOON