Mac Jones as a prospect?

BearsGr8

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
In the the last couple pages of the Trask thread there is talk of how his draft stock went down a bit because of his poor performance against Alabama in the SEC Championship. So I am asking about the NFL prospects of Mac Jones, who outplayed Trask in that game.

What do you think? Will Jones be drafted ahead of Trask? Do you think he may creep into late round 1, or do you see him as 2nd round or later?

Most importantly, which guy would you prefer for the Bears, if they go OL 1st round?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Jones will be drafted ahead of trask.

Jones still scares the shit out of me because Tua is looking like a giant turd + that alabama team is loaded with NFL offensive talent.

We have no chance at jones unless we want to spend a first rounder on him. One of those teams picking in the 20's with ancient qb's will take him.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Jones is the better prospect, but he is pretty far from the top 4 guys. Solid arm and accurate to all levels when on platform, but not mobile at all.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think Jones is the better prospect, but he is pretty far from the top 4 guys. Solid arm and accurate to all levels when on platform, but not mobile at all.

Tua struggling scares me tho as far as jones. Jones also has the best RB, and the two best WR's in CFB.

Also, plenty of borderline first round lineman to block for him.

Not saying he can't be good, but you better play well in that scheme when you got future NFL pro bowlers all over the field.

Jones is someone I just can't wrap my head around taking in the 1st. If he somehow drops to our 2nd rounder I'd love taking him there.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Tua struggling scares me tho as far as jones. Jones also has the best RB, and the two best WR's in CFB.

Also, plenty of borderline first round lineman to block for him.

Not saying he can't be good, but you better play well in that scheme when you got future NFL pro bowlers all over the field.

Jones is someone I just can't wrap my head around taking in the 1st. If he somehow drops to our 2nd rounder I'd love taking him there.
I don't think Tua has anything to do with Jones.

Tua was overhyped, was never in the same league as Burrow or Herbert. But as a second rounder he'd be looking pretty good. Mac Jones looked great with that same cast last year.

Waddle missed the second half of the season. That said yes, obviously Bama is very talented all over the place. But I think minus Waddle Florida's weapons are as good or better than Bama's.

Jones will not succeed without a very good OL, there's no doubt about that. I think he's got a bit more arm talent than Trask, otherwise I see them as pretty similar players. Smart, accurate, almost no ability to create off their spot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think a team takes a shot on him in the 1st round so i can't see us getting him, unless we're that team of course, and can never put anything past R.Pace in a draft. He's shown that he has no problem trading up or down in drafts especially if a player him and his people believe in is sitting there or within reach of a trade up. I wouldn't have an issue drafting him in the 2nd round if he's there and obviously have no issue at all drafting him in the 3rd.

What fans and "draft experts" think of players compared to what GM's, Scouts and Coaches think of players are usually pretty far apart cause the GM's, Scouts and Coaches have more ways in getting to know about these kids from having the chance to actually sit and talk with them and put them on the white board to going and talking to their college and even high school coaches and teammates to get more knowledge of who these kids are as people and how smart they are and how good their FBIQ is which is huge when it comes to QB's.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think a team takes a shot on him in the 1st round so i can't see us getting him, unless we're that team of course, and can never put anything past R.Pace in a draft. He's shown that he has no problem trading up or down in drafts especially if a player him and his people believe in is sitting there or within reach of a trade up. I wouldn't have an issue drafting him in the 2nd round if he's there and obviously have no issue at all drafting him in the 3rd.

What fans and "draft experts" think of players compared to what GM's, Scouts and Coaches think of players are usually pretty far apart cause the GM's, Scouts and Coaches have more ways in getting to know about these kids from having the chance to actually sit and talk with them and put them on the white board to going and talking to their college and even high school coaches and teammates to get more knowledge of who these kids are as people and how smart they are and how good their FBIQ is which is huge when it comes to QB's.

Yup. No way he gets past the first round.

At this point, unless Trey Lance drops and they want to swing for the fences(I'd rather not take him), there isn't really a prospect worth a first rounder. That leaves us with a tackle in the first.

I can't see Jones getting past the 20's considering you have New Orleans, Pitt, The Jets(If they pass on wilson/fields or trade down, who knows, could happen), Tampa, Miami(If they think tua sucks),, Washington, Indy.

One of them are going to take him. Shit, I wouldn't be shocked if one of them took trask too.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

At this point, unless Trey Lance drops and they want to swing for the fences(I'd rather not take him), there isn't really a prospect worth a first rounder. That leaves us with a tackle in the first.

I can't see Jones getting past the 20's considering you have New Orleans, Pitt, The Jets(If they pass on wilson/fields or trade down, who knows, could happen), Tampa, Miami(If they think tua sucks),, Washington, Indy.

One of them are going to take him. Shit, I wouldn't be shocked if one of them took trask too.

Not sure Tackle is the only option if no QB with our 1st round pick just cause we don't know what the plan in free agency is and if they get a tackle there. I think WR will also be an option if we aren't bringing ARob back and maybe J.Waddle is sitting there when we're on the clock. I still think tackle will be the pick but just not gonna say it's the only option.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Nagy’s BFF Brett Veach called Mahomes the best player he’s ever seen before he took a NFL regular season snap.

Hopefully Nagy uses him as a sounding board on QB prospect evals.

It’s all I got.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Jones will be drafted ahead of trask.

Jones still scares the shit out of me because Tua is looking like a giant turd + that alabama team is loaded with NFL offensive talent.

We have no chance at jones unless we want to spend a first rounder on him. One of those teams picking in the 20's with ancient qb's will take him.

tua will be fine. And it’s dumb to not consider a prospect because a guy at the same position before him “struggles” as a rookie. That said, I’d stay away from Jones. Just like I’d stay away from trask. Drafting either early would be a massive mistake

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nagy’s BFF Brett Veach called Mahomes the best player he’s ever seen before he took a NFL regular season snap.

Hopefully Nagy uses him as a sounding board on QB prospect evals.

It’s all I got.

I will give credit to Nagy on Mahommes. He absolutely was enamored with the kid in college. However, he then vouched for Foles.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't think Tua has anything to do with Jones.

Tua was overhyped, was never in the same league as Burrow or Herbert. But as a second rounder he'd be looking pretty good. Mac Jones looked great with that same cast last year.

Waddle missed the second half of the season. That said yes, obviously Bama is very talented all over the place. But I think minus Waddle Florida's weapons are as good or better than Bama's.

Jones will not succeed without a very good OL, there's no doubt about that. I think he's got a bit more arm talent than Trask, otherwise I see them as pretty similar players. Smart, accurate, almost no ability to create off their spot.

Good analysis. More and more ppl are starting to realize the importance of creating on the move.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not sure Tackle is the only option if no QB with our 1st round pick just cause we don't know what the plan in free agency is and if they get a tackle there. I think WR will also be an option if we aren't bringing ARob back and maybe J.Waddle is sitting there when we're on the clock. I still think tackle will be the pick but just not gonna say it's the only option.

While I love waddle, it would be dumb to let arob walk then draft a WR with the first round pick.

Then again, thats a typical pace move.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I don't think Miami should be "thinking Tua sucks" this early

msadows

Liked Posts:
I don't think Miami should be "thinking Tua sucks" this early

Who knows what they think. They've benched his ass twice now. He hasn't looked very good. I heavily doubt they move on but I have no idea what NFL GM's think anymore.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
While I love waddle, it would be dumb to let arob walk then draft a WR with the first round pick.

Then again, thats a typical pace move.

If you lose your #1 WR and don't have one on the team to replace him with then why would it be dumb to replace him with one with the star talent that J.Waddle has? As long as he still does work on the o-line then i don't think that would be a bad draft pick at all.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Jones and Trask...............We know how quarterbacks get over drafted every year, both of these guys will in all probability be drafted mid to low first round. That is exactly why the Bears should stay away from them. Ask yourself how many good to very good starting quarterbacks are in the league right now who have been drafted in this area. I can count three one HOFer Rodgers, one who at one time was good Flacco, and one who is still a work in progress as a passer in Jackson.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I like Jones better than Trask, I think.

Jones gets dogged like Trask for having no mobility, but I actually think Jones has better functional mobility than he gets credit for. I think he can slide in the pocket just enough and he get escape the pocket and throw guys open. Jones is also more willing to get smacked in the face to make a throw, which isn't necessarily great with how tiny he is (6'2, 210 ish) but he does a better job of keeping his eyes downfield in the face of pressure.

I think Trask's best case scenario is the current version of Roethlisberger. A guy that's going to have to get rid of the ball short and quick, and take his shots deep with max protection. But you can't move the pocket or hope for much outside of the playcall. Jones' best case scenario is probably like Kirk Cousins. Same type of guy, but more accurate, a little more mobile and can do a little with his legs if you forget about him.

Jones has really good mechanics and ball placement short and intermediate. His deep throws can be rough though. He hits a ton of them because his WRs at Bama are amazing, and maybe he underthrows them because it's better than overthrowing and not giving his guy a chance, but it remains to be seen if he can just dial up that deep accuracy at the NFL level.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jones and Trask are basically the same to me. Maybe Jones is slightly better. Either way, not QBs who I'd want Pace to draft in the first round.