Mannelly weighs in on Briggs

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need more drama...Cut Briggs and sign Michael Sams before it's to late!

dawags

Liked Posts:
Mountain out of a mole hill. So a restaurant he probably started building 6 or 8 months ago finally finished dealing with tradesmen, deliveries, inspections et al and set an opening date and Briggs, being the owner, took a day off to be there in person. If it was a common veterans day off no one would say boo.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
We all agree Briggs is about Briggs and looked meh in the pre. Nothing new there either. Thing is that he still loves game day and when it's on, he'll play well. Wont be all he can be for a few weeks nor the 1st time that's happened but will probably be the last.
Do you just go all:

Practice! Are we talkin' about practice? Practice...practice...not a game ...not a game...practice.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Let's see: Mannelly played in the NFL and was the best at his position for almost 20 years. He played with Lance Briggs for Lance's entire career (11 year or so?). He played on the team with Lance as recently as 9 months ago. He thinks it's an issue.

I've also heard Hall of Famer Michael Irvin say it's an issue. I also heard very astute NFL analyst and former defensive player Matt Bowen say it's an issue.

So, I defer to those guys. If they say it's an issue, it's an issue. It can be argued as to how big of an issue, but I defer to them.

To me it's simple. The final roster of defensive players (who have spent very little time together in the preseason) was finalized on Saturday. If the Bears have the opportunity to have 5 practices (on field, the room, etc) then I would prefer to have the entire group there so they can gel as a unit. I'd expect their veteran leader to be part of that session. Lance not being there is probably not that big of a deal, but for the way this D played last year, I would expect them to be there OVERTIME, not taking time off.

Just poor timing. Lance had 5 months off to open the restaurant. He also has a bye week that will come quickly. That would have been the right time.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Let's see: Mannelly played in the NFL and was the best at his position for almost 20 years. He played with Lance Briggs for Lance's entire career (11 year or so?). He played on the team with Lance as recently as 9 months ago. He thinks it's an issue.

I've also heard Hall of Famer Michael Irvin say it's an issue. I also heard very astute NFL analyst and former defensive player Matt Bowen say it's an issue.

So, I defer to those guys. If they say it's an issue, it's an issue. It can be argued as to how big of an issue, but I defer to them.

To me it's simple. The final roster of defensive players (who have spent very little time together in the preseason) was finalized on Saturday. If the Bears have the opportunity to have 5 practices (on field, the room, etc) then I would prefer to have the entire group there so they can gel as a unit. I'd expect their veteran leader to be part of that session. Lance not being there is probably not that big of a deal, but for the way this D played last year, I would expect them to be there OVERTIME, not taking time off.

Just poor timing. Lance had 5 months off to open the restaurant. He also has a bye week that will come quickly. That would have been the right time.

Urlacher said it wasn't. So why wouldn't you defer to him instead of the three players you mentioned?

I think deferring to players' opinions is a bad idea. Take them into account? Sure. But just because they were teammates for a decade doesn't mean Mannelly doesn't have some irrational disdain for Briggs. Not saying that the two hate each other, but it'd certainly affect his opinion on this matter, wouldn't it?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you just go all:

Practice! Are we talkin' about practice? Practice...practice...not a game ...not a game...practice.

Yup and Briggs aint the only vet draggin his ass in the pre.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And, on another note, good on Lance for planning for a life after football.

Too bad he couldn't plan an opening around the football season. 6 months off and he opens 6 days before the regular season opener.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So basically Briggs business partner set the date of the grand opening which was on Labor Day (a day off for most of the country and a good day to open a restaurant) and Briggs missed a one hour practice that has marginal benefit to him because the Bears don't begin to install the game plan and do walkthroughs until Wednesday.

Yeah I am going to ride with Briggs on this one.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...ractice-open-restaurant?ex_cid=espnapi_public

"Well, I didn't make the decision [on the day he missed]," Briggs said. "My partner made the decision. But it was Labor Day, and on Labor Day, as you know, most people do not work."

"Back when I approached Trestman about it, I asked if I could have a personal day. He said OK. Monday was an hourlong practice. Typically, in the NFL, you install your game plan starting on Wednesday. You put in your first and second down. This is typical throughout the league," Briggs said. "Your third-down and blitz package [are] on Thursday, and your short-yardage and goal-line stuff on Friday, and your review on Friday. Then you have a walk-through and review on Saturday before you play the game. For me, the grand opening on Monday was an opportunity, and I asked him."

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Did you see how he played after he came back from his injury? Did you see the weight he put on? He quit.

So Briggs being Lazy is wrong now, but you said he quit?

Fucktards gonna fucktard.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
In regards to me, I was just as wrong as Biff was. I figured a 7 time pro-bowl player would at least have a semblance of leadership. I was WRONG.