Marc Ross: Bowers not a special player

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Seriously, you've got guys like Daniel Jeremiah who are at least lead draft analysts and get a ton of airtime and probably great pay for a kush gig. Then there's the Marc Ross's of the world who get almost no airtime or attention and would instantly take a FO job if he could get another. His opinion is about as worthwhile as mine or yours.
Ross not that long ago was chef talent evaluator for the Giants. There is all you need to know..

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I don't think Bowers is explosive enough to justify a top 10 selection. There are what, 2 TEs in the league that you could justify as top 10 selections (Kelce/Kittle)? He would have to be an absolute elite athlete to take him top 10 (and even historically those picks haven't done well).
Jimmy G should be the bears starting qb next year, I agree

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
He is excellent at finding soft spots to cut in/out in zone coverage. It's literally his best trait if not his hands. The NFL runs primarily zone concepts.

Makes you think!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I don't think Bowers is explosive enough to justify a top 10 selection. There are what, 2 TEs in the league that you could justify as top 10 selections (Kelce/Kittle)? He would have to be an absolute elite athlete to take him top 10 (and even historically those picks haven't done well).
I don't think just being a athlete at the TE position justifies a top pick imo. We've recently seen before that it's not enough... Pitts, Ebron

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't think just being a athlete at the TE position justifies a top pick imo. We've recently seen before that it's not enough... Pitts, Ebron
Exactly. OJ Howard, Hockensen as well.

Its just very hard to have a huge impact at the TE position and you can find serviceable players at that position in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Most mocks are trending to have him selected in the middle first now.

ctree5454

Liked Posts:
New York Jets: NFL Draft profile on Georgia tight end Brock Bowers

I actually think this article has a good breakdown of Bowers. He might be the best after the catch TE I can remember watching. Georgia used him primarily on slip screens and quick hitters just to get the ball in his hands. His average depth of target was only 6.5 Yds and he did struggle with contested catches (2 all season). He seems to struggle tracking the ball vertically and winning in contested situations. But man can he eat up yards and break tackles once he gets the ball. If he ever improves in those situations, he would definitely be worth the 9th pick. But it's a risk for sure.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sitting back and chillin’ my man. It’s easy to see which people never watched him play after reading some of these comments. He’s been a beast since he stepped on the field in the toughest conference in the nation. He’s a Swiss Army knife weapon. Does everything at a top level.

I don’t think Poles takes him if Odunze is still on the board though. In fact, I have a feeling the 9 pick will be a defensive player.

I think Bowers goes to the Jets.
Jets still need an OL, wouldn’t be surprised if KC moves up to take him to be the heir apparent to Kelce once Tay Tay gets him preggers.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Jets still need an OL, wouldn’t be surprised if KC moves up to take him to be the heir apparent to Kelce once Tay Tay gets him preggers.
Possible. I don’t think they’d move that far up to take him, but they might. I know they have Mark Andrews, but Bowers would feast in that Ravens offense, especially since Monken is their OC.

Liked Posts:
He is excellent at finding soft spots to cut in/out in zone coverage. It's literally his best trait if not his hands. The NFL runs primarily zone concepts.

Makes you think!
Don't forget that his RAC is second to none. The positives with Bowers are multiple and so obvious to see on tape. Bowers ability as a runblocker is as good as it gets from a TE.

If you get TE that can net you 700+ and a high TD total over the middle it will result in your outside WRS having a field day.

I think that taking Bowers at 9 and one of the many talented WRs in this class in round 3 will make this team significantly better than taking Odunze at 9 and some backup rotational passrusher in round 3.

I constantly see all.of the Caleb Williams and Mahomes parallels on here and all over the web so if fans want any chance of that to ring true then give Williams what Mahomes has always had being a dominant TE that owns the middlenof the field and makes the outside WRs better. Alot better.

Bowers is the most athletic and smart TE I've seen in years, second to only a young Vernon Davis.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Possible. I don’t think they’d move that far up to take him, but they might. I know they have Mark Andrews, but Bowers would feast in that Ravens offense, especially since Monken is their OC.
Problem is Baltimore has the deepest TE room in the league with Andrews, Likely and Kolar(?).

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Don't forget that his RAC is second to none. The positives with Bowers are multiple and so obvious to see on tape. Bowers ability as a runblocker is as good as it gets from a TE.

If you get TE that can net you 700+ and a high TD total over the middle it will result in your outside WRS having a field day.

I think that taking Bowers at 9 and one of the many talented WRs in this class in round 3 will make this team significantly better than taking Odunze at 9 and some backup rotational passrusher in round 3.

I constantly see all.of the Caleb Williams and Mahomes parallels on here and all over the web so if fans want any chance of that to ring true then give Williams what Mahomes has always had being a dominant TE that owns the middlenof the field and makes the outside WRs better. Alot better.

Bowers is the most athletic and smart TE I've seen in years, second to only a young Vernon Davis.
Bowers run blocking in space would spell automatic homeruns for Swift. Can you imagine?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'd be OK with him at 9 or better a slight trade down from 9.
I haven't watched anything, just going by rankings. That's about the only time it's worth wasting on predraft click bait study.

I still think a WR is a better plan for the future but if Waldron is saying he's can't miss and needed now go for it.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

YOU SURE ABOUT THAT!? I can't even find a RAS score for Bowers, which is funny because you said it was 2nd none. But...

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Some bullshit off of reddit fwiw:

For reference Pitts ran a 4.44 40, 4.35 shuttle, 7.12 3 cone, and had a 33.5 inch vertical. He also had a RAS of 9.66 ranking him 33 out of 929 TEs since 1987.

If we use the RAS calculator and give Bowers a 4.44 40, 4.11 shuttle (fastest in the last 3 years), 6.81 3 cone (fastest in the last 3 years), 38.5 inch vertical, and 22 bench reps with Bowers listed height and weight of 6’ 3” and 240 lbs he ends up with a RAS score of 9.67. He’s going to need to be the most agile TE we’ve seen in the last 5 years to be in Pitt’s athletic realm assuming he isn’t smaller than his listed size.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Gronk's got 3 inches and 30-35 lbs on him.
why are you so focused on his cock?? i know the pen made you even more fucked in the head than before, but still...geez!

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
hes not JUST an athlete, though