Marinelli DC signed with the Bucs

sewie

Liked Posts:
http://www.profootballrumors.com/bucs-expected-hire-rod-marinelli-dc/

Bucs Expected To Hire Rod Marinelli As DC

January 11th at 4:37pm CST*by Dallas Robinson

After the Cowboys loss to the Packers today, head coach*Jason Garrett*is now a free agent and is free to sign with any team. If he’s retained as expected, though, he’ll have to find a new defensive coordinator, as the Buccaneers have hired*Rod Marinelli*to their DC position, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk (Twitter link). Marinelli, who’s contract also just expired, worked in Tampa Bay from 1996-2005 as a defensive line and assistant head coach.

Marinelli will replace*Leslie Frazier, the former Vikings head coach who led the Bucs’ defense in 2014. Despite adding*Michael Johnson*and*Alterraun Verner*to defense that already contained stars in*Gerald McCoy*and*Lavonte David, Tampa’s defense finished just 25th in both yards allowed and points allowed; advanced metrics liked the unit a little better, as it finished 18th in DVOA. On the flip side, Dallas’ defense, which was expected by many to be among the worst in the league, was 14th in yards allowed, 15th in points allowed, but 22nd in DVOA.

The 65-year-old Marinelli was the head coach of the Lions from 2006-08, and was with the Bears from 2009-12 in a variety of defensive roles. Buccaneers head coach*Lovie Smith, of course, was Chicago’s HC during that time, so the two are obviously familiar. The Cowboys, meanwhile, will need to find a replacement for Marinelli — longtime Steelers DC*Dick LeBeau*recently resigned, but he runs a 3-4 scheme while Dallas has run a 4-3 front under Marinelli. If*Jim Schwartz*ultimately doesn’t stick around as*Rex Ryan’s*defensive coordinator in Buffalo, he would be a nice fit with the Cowboys

Read more at http://www.profootballrumors.com/bucs-expected-hire-rod-marinelli-dc/#ALj8vxlyqPhTrArY.99

theArizonaState

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good hire. I'd love to see Marinelli as our HC. But I guess that's not gonna happen since he's not great at cocktail parties.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
So do these contracts literally expire the second their season ends? Sounds sketchy. Seems like Marinelli definitely had this on the back burner for some time now.

I guess I assumed they expired the day after the Super Bowl or something. Makes sense I guess, just never really thought about it because usually a coach is fired if they leave

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
He did have it on the back burner. It was reported last week that he was bolting for the Bucs. Now it is official.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
He did have it on the back burner. It was reported last week that he was bolting for the Bucs. Now it is official.

He did a great job in Dallas. Did he have to get permission to talk to the Bucs? One would think since he was under contract and I doubt Jerry would have given him permission

Liked Posts:
That was... suspiciously fast.

I can't believe they were able to hammer out the legalize of a contract that quickly.

Since he was under contract at the time, Dallas would have to grant Tampa permission to talk to Marinelli during the season. I doubt they'd allow that to unfold during the middle of a playoff run for anything less than a head coaching position.

Dallas could probably scream "tampering" if they wanted to.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Marinelli is a piece of shit in my book. More loyal to Lovie than the Bears Organization.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
if true, hopefly those guys do well. Wished Marinelli would have stayed, Bears would look alot different.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Marinelli is a piece of shit in my book. More loyal to Lovie than the Bears Organization.

No. He was going to stay with the Bears even after Lovie left.

But the fact he is signed before the Cowboys finished showering is kind of crappy. I mean, tomorrow, sure. But signed while in GB?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So do these contracts literally expire the second their season ends? Sounds sketchy. Seems like Marinelli definitely had this on the back burner for some time now.

I guess I assumed they expired the day after the Super Bowl or something. Makes sense I guess, just never really thought about it because usually a coach is fired if they leave

Sure - every coach we are interviewing is available as soon as their season ends. Only coaches whose teams are have have to wait. (And they make allowances for teams with byes)

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
No. He was going to stay with the Bears even after Lovie left.

But the fact he is signed before the Cowboys finished showering is kind of crappy. I mean, tomorrow, sure. But signed while in GB?

Yeah, exactly this. That is going to make for an awkward plane ride home if he's on the team flight lol

Seems shady to me and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs got in trouble for this

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, exactly this. That is going to make for an awkward plane ride home if he's on the team flight lol

Seems shady to me and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs got in trouble for this

How if his contract expired? As soon as that game was over, is he no longer committed to the Cowboys in any way correct?

BEARS

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keeping in mind that Marinelli wanted to go to Tampa Bay last year, and Dallas blocked it and promoted him to defensive coordinator. Contract up, he is gone, I guess.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I don't get this move at all. Seems to have a good thing going in Dallas and I'm sure Jerry would have paid him whatever to stay. Now he goes to Tampa where Lovie could very well get fired in two years, maybe even one if they have another year like this past one.

He must really love him some Lovie.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
How if his contract expired? As soon as that game was over, is he no longer committed to the Cowboys in any way correct?

BEARS

Correct. But the notion that he met with the team in the locker room after the game, the Bucs called him, hammered out a negotiation and signed the deal less in about an hour is pretty unrealistic

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get this move at all. Seems to have a good thing going in Dallas and I'm sure Jerry would have paid him whatever to stay. Now he goes to Tampa where Lovie could very well get fired in two years, maybe even one if they have another year like this past one.

He must really love him some Lovie.

Yes, you will find outside of this message board, that Lovie is one of the most respected men in the NFL.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Rick Stroud - #Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told reporters after Sunday's game DC Rod Marinelli could rejoin Lovie Smith in TPA. "He could come there...
6:05pm - 11 Jan 15