Marlins at Cubs IST

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Was it not stated by Theo, years ago, that if the Cubs were in contention they would be buyers?
The game is actually based on results and not projected results.
Unless you're waiting for the official directive from Theo and the FO, I don't think you know how to answer the question.

Because you're throwing out hypothetical questions. If the cubs win their next 35 games do you blow it up? Of course not. Is that going to happen? No. My point is you're throwing out a question that is very unlikely to happen and then asking what they will do. "In contention" is a nebulous word. It means different things to different people. Are they "in contention" now at 5.5 back in the wild card? I would argue even 1-2 games back of the wild card still isn't in contention because I don't think the #2 wild card team can beat a division winner in a 5 game series without it being a fluke.

You're also contradicting yourself. You say it's about actual results not projections and then talk about what if they are a team better than their current .424 win%. Until they approach .500, what are we even talking about? They aren't going to be buyers at anything less than that flat out. If they were a better team, then sure maybe they would be buyers. But they aren't and until they are this is pointless. I don't know what you're attempting to accomplish here.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Because you're throwing out hypothetical questions. If the cubs win their next 35 games do you blow it up? Of course not. Is that going to happen? No. My point is you're throwing out a question that is very unlikely to happen and then asking what they will do. "In contention" is a nebulous word. It means different things to different people. Are they "in contention" now at 5.5 back in the wild card? I would argue even 1-2 games back of the wild card still isn't in contention because I don't think the #2 wild card team can beat a division winner in a 5 game series without it being a fluke.

You're also contradicting yourself. You say it's about actual results not projections and then talk about what if they are a team better than their current .424 win%. Until they approach .500, what are we even talking about? They aren't going to be buyers at anything less than that flat out. If they were a better team, then sure maybe they would be buyers. But they aren't and until they are this is pointless. I don't know what you're attempting to accomplish here.

So in other words, you're deflating the confidence of a young team that is trying to put it together and trying to gain some confidence?
I sure hope the mainstay core isn't reading this board

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So in other words, you're deflating the confidence of a young team that is trying to put it together and trying to gain some confidence?

Your asking a hypothetical question for a misfit team that been playing .400 baseball for 2 months, asking if they miraculously play .700 ball over the next 6 week and become a .500 team will they become buyers and trade youth for vets to make a run at a playoff spot...

If they got that hot with this team, I would say yes they would look to add a better player or two to replace their weakest starter and or hitter...
I do not see them moving any major prospects though to obtain such player...
It would be like trading an A ballplayer to get a 2 month rental of a vet like say for barney at 2B who putting up better offensive numbers..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Your asking a hypothetical question for a misfit team that been playing .400 baseball for 2 months, asking if they miraculously play .700 ball over the next 6 week and become a .500 team will they become buyers and trade youth for vets to make a run at a playoff spot...

If they got that hot with this team, I would say yes they would look to add a better player or two to replace their weakest starter and or hitter...
I do not see them moving any major prospects though to obtain such player...
It would be like trading an A ballplayer to get a 2 month rental of a vet like say for barney at 2B who putting up better offensive numbers..

I know it's against all probability, I never said giving up any part of the future.
But thanks for answering the question like I would expect a Cub fan would. Go For It, if at all possible.
Not some answer that just tows the company line.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

This is seriously hilarious. Of all the people on this board, you think I'm the one under selling this team? I've literally been telling people since about mid-April that they are a better team than their record would indicate since their run diff indicated a team a more competitive team than what we'd seen record wise. However, that doesn't mean they are suddenly better than they are.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
This is seriously hilarious. Of all the people on this board, you think I'm the one under selling this team? I've literally been telling people since about mid-April that they are a better team than their record would indicate since their run diff indicated a team a more competitive team than what we'd seen record wise. However, that doesn't mean they are suddenly better than they are.

You love throwing out the numbers. I look at results. Cubs have won 5 in a row. I like to be somewhat optimistic instead of how this little bit of success is unsustainable because the numbers say so. It's part of being a Cub baseball fan and not so much a metric fan.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You love throwing out the numbers. I look at results. Cubs have won 5 in a row. I like to be somewhat optimistic instead of how this little bit of success is unsustainable because the numbers say so. It's part of being a Cub baseball fan and not so much a metric fan.

Please spare me this holier than thou attitude. You're looking at 5 results out of close to 60 and drawing conclusions ignoring the other 54. If you want to be optimistic, fine. I got not issue with that. My issue is you're acting like those of us who are being more cautious about the past 5 games are some how haters of the team. I enjoy metrics because they are the "how" of the story. How have the cubs suddenly won 5 straight? Simple, they've been a sub-4 run per game team for most of the season. The last 5 games they've been close to 5. That doesn't mean I enjoy/hate results any less. Ignoring data that goes against what you want to believe is your choice. It also makes you a blatant homer. There's a difference between being optimistic and ignorant of the situation.

Keep in mind last year it took 90 and 92 wins to get the second wild card. That would mean the cubs would need to finish at least 65-38(.631) or put another way roughly 50% increase in wins over their current rate. There's currently 1 team playing that well in San Fran(.661). So, you're saying that from today forward the cubs will be basically the second best team in the league. That's so far beyond optimism. Optimistic would be saying they will finish .500 the rest of the season after starting the first third of the season .424. That roughly a 20% increase in wins gets you to 77 wins.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ok, anyone know why the patch on cubs jersey says health ? If im reading it right

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ok, anyone know why the patch on cubs jersey says health ? If im reading it right

Yes.

Its supposedly for WWII.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Castro turned into a double machine lately

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Good start by Arrieta.... 6 strong innings..
is he on a pitch count or are they just not allowing him to go pass 6 inning...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Be nice to see another castro double here... bases loaded

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
:rimshot:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Now im convince that Olt not in their plan and bryant will be up soon... yesterday they PH for olt in 8th with 3 run lead when marlins put in a RH... today in a tie game in 7th, they leave Valbuena in to bat against a Lefty with bases loaded

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Clutch bases-loaded walk from Valbuena... did what Starlin couldn't...

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Valbuena with the go ahead eagle eye!

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Now im convince that Olt not in their plan and bryant will be up soon... yesterday they PH for olt in 8th with 3 run lead when marlins put in a RH... today in a tie game in 7th, they leave Valbuena in to bat against a Lefty with bases loaded

Well, so far, Olt does nothing but an occasional HR here or there and he hasn't even done that in like 3 months.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks