Marmol DFA; release Ian Stewart

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stewart probably dropped his appeal of his suspension to get the release which would save the Cubs about 100K according to Bleacher Nation. Carlos Marmol DFA is nice to see because there was no point in keeping him at this point. Surprised they called up an OF to replace him, but it is nice to see production rewarded because Bogusevic's been killing it in the PCL for a while now.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Within a minute. Mods can delete mine or merge.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: Bye Bye Marmol

Took them long enough... Won't miss him.

sent from my beaver dam using tapatalk 2

Willrust

Liked Posts:
They did it for the roster spot and probably couldn't pass off another "toe" injury.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs finally pulled the plug on longtime reliever Carlos Marmol today, announcing they've designated him for assigment. The team also announced the suspension of third baseman Ian Stewart was settled and upheld, and he was granted his unconditional release. The team selected the contract of outfielder Brian Bogusevic to replace Marmol.

Marmol had become a symbol for the Cubs' struggles this year, with a 5.86 ERA, 6.8 BB/9, and 1.95 HR/9 in 27 2/3 innings. He began the season as the team's closer, apparently as a way of building trade value, but lost the job after allowing five runs in his first three outings. Marmol, a converted catcher/outfielder, joined the team's bullpen in 2007, snagged an All-Star nod in '08, and ascended to the Cubs' closing job late in 2009. He peaked in 2010, striking out nearly 42% of batters faced while racking up 38 saves. That season earned him a three-year, $20MM extension in February 2011. Marmol had always had major problems with walks, and now the team will eat the remaining $5MM+ on that ill-advised contract.

Stewart's departure was inevitable after a June 11th Twitter rant criticizing the team for letting him "rot" in Triple-A, where he's authored a .168/.286/.372 line since returning from a quad injury. The Cubs handed him a ten-game suspension without pay for the comments for violating the loyalty clause in his contract. The Cubs had non-tendered Stewart in December and re-signed him for $2MM later that month. Given that he cleared outright waivers in May, teams were not anxious to take on his salary, nor was Stewart willing to abandon the money and elect free agency at that time.

Bogusevic, 29, was born in Oak Lawn, Illinois, as was this post's author. The Cubs signed him to a minor league deal in November, and the former first-round pick posted a .319/.418/.512 line with 10 home runs in 304 Triple-A plate appearances this year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs finally pulled the plug on longtime reliever Carlos Marmol today, announcing they've designated him for assigment. The team also announced the suspension of third baseman Ian Stewart was settled and upheld, and he was granted his unconditional release. The team selected the contract of outfielder Brian Bogusevic to replace Marmol.

Marmol had become a symbol for the Cubs' struggles this year, with a 5.86 ERA, 6.8 BB/9, and 1.95 HR/9 in 27 2/3 innings. He began the season as the team's closer, apparently as a way of building trade value, but lost the job after allowing five runs in his first three outings. Marmol, a converted catcher/outfielder, joined the team's bullpen in 2007, snagged an All-Star nod in '08, and ascended to the Cubs' closing job late in 2009. He peaked in 2010, striking out nearly 42% of batters faced while racking up 38 saves. That season earned him a three-year, $20MM extension in February 2011. Marmol had always had major problems with walks, and now the team will eat the remaining $5MM+ on that ill-advised contract.

Stewart's departure was inevitable after a June 11th Twitter rant criticizing the team for letting him "rot" in Triple-A, where he's authored a .168/.286/.372 line since returning from a quad injury. The Cubs handed him a ten-game suspension without pay for the comments for violating the loyalty clause in his contract. The Cubs had non-tendered Stewart in December and re-signed him for $2MM later that month. Given that he cleared outright waivers in May, teams were not anxious to take on his salary, nor was Stewart willing to abandon the money and elect free agency at that time.

Bogusevic, 29, was born in Oak Lawn, Illinois, as was this post's author. The Cubs signed him to a minor league deal in November, and the former first-round pick posted a .319/.418/.512 line with 10 home runs in 304 Triple-A plate appearances this year.

So that's why you've been on the calling up Bogusevic band wagon for so long :p. Either way it is nice to see the Cubs make the right call and cut ties with Marmol. Also nice to see them reward production at AAA with a call up, even though I really wanted to see Lake called up to play a super sub role.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Stewart probably dropped his appeal of his suspension to get the release which would save the Cubs about 100K according to Bleacher Nation. Carlos Marmol DFA is nice to see because there was no point in keeping him at this point. Surprised they called up an OF to replace him, but it is nice to see production rewarded because Bogusevic's been killing it in the PCL for a while now.

Surprised that it was an OF or surprised they finally stopped carrying 13 pitchers?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprised that it was an OF or surprised they finally stopped carrying 13 pitchers?

Surprised that they've gone back to 6 OFs. I was hoping they would call up Lake to give them another infielder, but I understand getting him everyday playing time right now as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So that's why you've been on the calling up Bogusevic band wagon for so long :p. Either way it is nice to see the Cubs make the right call and cut ties with Marmol. Also nice to see them reward production at AAA with a call up, even though I really wanted to see Lake called up to play a super sub role.

Good one.:nelson:

I'm on the fence with this one. Weird huna.

They had Camp who was also ineffective and no sale value and they dump the guy who was getting outs in non save situations.

On Bog. I like him but where does he play?

Again a head scratch-er.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
'Bout damn time.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
So, they traded Marmol for Haren, but declined because of injury, then go can DFA Marmol.

What am I missing here?

CHAMPS!!!!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprised that they've gone back to 6 OFs. I was hoping they would call up Lake to give them another infielder, but I understand getting him everyday playing time right now as well.

Lake has done well, but I dont think he has proven he is ready. Bogs has minimal future in MLB. Lake could have one. You dont want to throw him to the wolves to either sit the bench or struggle. He needs to play everyday and show what he has. Lake will most likely be called up this year, but more towards the end. Also, He has commited a good number of errors in a short time.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Good one.:nelson:

I'm on the fence with this one. Weird huna.

They had Camp who was also ineffective and no sale value and they dump the guy who was getting outs in non save situations.

On Bog. I like him but where does he play?

Again a head scratch-er.

Rumors are swirling of the Cubs moving an OFer soon. Could be part of a package deal with Garza or Feldman.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rumors are swirling of the Cubs moving an OFer soon. Could be part of a package deal with Garza or Feldman.

I'm expecting Schierholtz to be gone.