Marmol DFA; release Ian Stewart

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Any word who replaces Bog on Iowa. BJaxx back from the 7 day or Szczur?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lake has done well, but I dont think he has proven he is ready. Bogs has minimal future in MLB. Lake could have one. You dont want to throw him to the wolves to either sit the bench or struggle. He needs to play everyday and show what he has. Lake will most likely be called up this year, but more towards the end. Also, He has commited a good number of errors in a short time.

I agree Lake needs more AB's at AAA. I'm expecting to see him in Sept with Logan Watkins etc.

But I believe Lake will be used as a super Util guy with the Cubs. He can cover OF, 3B, SS and 2B. Cubs havn't had that sense DeRosa. I do not see him being a major league starter.

Bog is interesting. This by far has been his best year. See what happens.:popcorn:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any word who replaces Bog on Iowa. BJaxx back from the 7 day or Szczur?

Not sure to be honest. I would hope Szczur gets the call soon too, but it would probably be a filler type at this point unless they are going to start sitting Sappelt on a regular basis.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure to be honest. I would hope Szczur gets the call soon too, but it would probably be a filler type at this point unless they are going to start sitting Sappelt on a regular basis.

They were down to Sappelt and Ha at Iowa. Got to figure it is Dejesus on rehab, Jaxx or a Szczur promote up coming.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
They were using Lake in the OF as well. With Stewart gone, Vitters and BJaxx on the DL there could be a call to Tennessee for Scrabble.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
They were down to Sappelt and Ha at Iowa. Got to figure it is Dejesus on rehab, Jaxx or a Szczur promote up coming.

Iowa has McDonald, Ha, Sappelt in the OF right now, but Lake plays some OF here and there as they continue to play him around the diamond. Also Watkins can play center some as well. I guess the point I was getting at was unless Brett Jackson is going to be down for a long time or they are moving Sappelt to the bench then there isn't the regular at bats for Szczur to move up.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Iowa has McDonald, Ha, Sappelt in the OF right now, but Lake plays some OF here and there as they continue to play him around the diamond. Also Watkins can play center some as well. I guess the point I was getting at was unless Brett Jackson is going to be down for a long time or they are moving Sappelt to the bench then there isn't the regular at bats for Szczur to move up.

Wow McDonald was born in 1978. 34 YO amazing. Guess he couldn't get a real job.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Szczur is on Tenn. line up today.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Szczur is on Tenn. line up today.

It would be nice if this was the start of everyone moving up with Almora, Soler and Szczur each taking a step up, but I am guessing it will be a little bit before that happens still. If BJax's injury was going to keep him out for another month or so I could see that change starting now, but as is they probably can cover with what they have and or move Chen up. It will be interesting to see Iowa's lineup tonight if it just features the 3 OFs on the roster or if Lake and Watkins end up regularly in the OF until BJax's return.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Surprised that they've gone back to 6 OFs. I was hoping they would call up Lake to give them another infielder, but I understand getting him everyday playing time right now as well.

Take your pick, but don't be surprised if Lake and others aren't called up sooner or later.

I look for Dejesus, Schierholtz, and Soriano to now go. One thing I still remember the brass saying was that "we are going to make some moves that people won't agree with". Trading the whole outfield would do just that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be nice if this was the start of everyone moving up with Almora, Soler and Szczur each taking a step up, but I am guessing it will be a little bit before that happens still. If BJax's injury was going to keep him out for another month or so I could see that change starting now, but as is they probably can cover with what they have and or move Chen up. It will be interesting to see Iowa's lineup tonight if it just features the 3 OFs on the roster or if Lake and Watkins end up regularly in the OF until BJax's return.

What I'm predicting is the minor league F/A either back fill post trades, cut or put into back up roles. Take the OF right now. I expect over the next week Dejesus will get his rehab stint. He will be a trade chip so he takes priority. I'll bet they try to off Scheirholtz beforeDejesus gets back. After that Dejesus gets some P/T post ASG to up his sale value. I expect Sweeney to take over RF at that point. Now after the deadline I expect Sori to be put on wavers. They may eat his deal at this point opening up LF. He has been pretty ineffective this year and I don't see a trade partner. I can see them moving on from it and taking the hit. Regarding Lake I don't expect anything until after the rosters expand. But LF might be open for some Sept AB.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I look for Dejesus, Schierholtz, and Soriano to now go. One thing I still remember the brass saying was that "we are going to make some moves that people won't agree with". Trading the whole outfield would do just that.

I wouldn't say I disagree with that. Now trading Garza. Not a shocker but yes makes them look cheap. Trading Shark. Shocker but sence he is not playing nice and signing a team friendly deal I can see the hard ball tactics. Trading Schierholtz? If you did not see that coming can't help ya brother. Dejesus same thing. His wife would be the mad one there. Sori: nope eating 18 mil takes balls. 7 years is long enough. Time to move on.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Well fuck Stewart, he was douchy with his tweets and quite frankly sucked balls as a Cub. Now Marmol on the other hand, sure he has been pretty bad the last couple years, but he used to be dominant. I remember back when it was Marmol time and I would expect nothing less than 3 K's to save the game. Dude was a beast, so I wish him well and hope he can reclaim what he once had.

Anyways, back to the regular scheduled suckage we get to watch now. :cubs:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I'm predicting is the minor league F/A either back fill post trades, cut or put into back up roles. Take the OF right now. I expect over the next week Dejesus will get his rehab stint. He will be a trade chip so he takes priority. I'll bet they try to off Scheirholtz beforeDejesus gets back. After that Dejesus gets some P/T post ASG to up his sale value. I expect Sweeney to take over RF at that point. Now after the deadline I expect Sori to be put on wavers. They may eat his deal at this point opening up LF. He has been pretty ineffective this year and I don't see a trade partner. I can see them moving on from it and taking the hit. Regarding Lake I don't expect anything until after the rosters expand. But LF might be open for some Sept AB.

I could see the Cubs waiting until September to call up Lake. I have for a while thought Lake's future role is a guy that gets 3-5 starts a week all over the diamond. I guess we will see what happens here with trades and how the Cubs fill the roster.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It was telling on the Score this morning that Cubs apologist Len Kasper said

a) The Cubs lost the Stewart trade
b) The Cubs gave up a lot to get Stewart.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Instant analysis right there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

It was a bad trade. I've said that repeatedly. I also stated I understand the rationale behind it at the time, but it didn't work out for a number of reasons. I was wrong about Ian Stewart on a number of levels, and it sucks a great deal for those of who want the Cubs to succeed sooner than later.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It was a bad trade. I've said that repeatedly. I also stated I understand the rationale behind it at the time, but it didn't work out for a number of reasons. I was wrong about Ian Stewart on a number of levels, and it sucks a great deal for those of who want the Cubs to succeed sooner than later.

I wasn't referring to you, I know a lot of people said it was a bad trade, but the point I was making was that the Cubs did give up quite a bit, and some people fail to realize that.