Matt Barkley is a leader of Men

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barkley will come crashing down to earth, I'm sure we all expect and know that will be the case. But absolutely no reason to not give him the keys for the next 5 games and check what's under the hood. There is nothing left to uncover with Cutler.

Actually with the Bears luck if Barkley starts looking like the real deal he will soon suffer a major injury. That might be the best indicator on if he is legit or not.

Letting him play the next 5 games and letting that play determine how we move forward are two entirely different things.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Letting him play the next 5 games and letting that play determine how we move forward are two entirely different things.

No they aren't, if he can impress during the next 5 games like he did yesterday you definitely make him one of your 3 next year. Of course you still draft a QB high, that goes without saying.

Chinese

Liked Posts:
How long did they give Barkely to.prepare..a fuckin week and he pulls of a pretty impressive not perfect first start - this is rhe kind of shit that had me walk away from my love for a Cutler..the damn backups. Recently have considerably ouplayed him..geez..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It says a lot that we are comparing a mid round QB making his first start off of the PR, to a 10 year vet who we traded 2 1sts for and have paid 101 million dollars to.

Fucking sad.

billwade

Liked Posts:
It says a lot that we are comparing a mid round QB making his first start off of the PR, to a 10 year vet who we traded 2 1sts for and have paid 101 million dollars to.

Fucking sad.

It is sad. And it doesn't even include the lovely intangibles like the destruction of the locker room and the misguided roster moves designed to prop up this turd that set the franchise back a decade.

I swear jay has been the single most destructive player in Bears history, and he beats out #2 by a mile.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Matt Barkley is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I am rooting for him to be our next starting QB. It's going to be a long shot but he has surprised me already.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
My guess is pretty low base with big per game bonuses.

2 million base with 200k per start bonus.

Has a chance to make 5 million if he starts all 16 games.

Barkley is one of the most stand up people out there. If there is ever a guy that won't bitch about getting paid, it is him.

Who was that player that got drafted about 10 years ago and then quit because he didn't want the money and would rather stay in the community he grew up in? Matt Barkley is that type of player.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Brad Biggs questioned Barkley's value because he got cut by QB expert Bruce Arians who definitely needs a young QB to replace Palmer at some point. However I suspect the reason for this is Bruce likes to go deep fairly often and Barkley appears to have a reasonably strong arm but not a cannon. However the arm strength Matt showed vs the Titans should easily be enough for the QB desperate denizens of Halas Hall to approve of for the QB search.

The thing I approve is drafting a Qb

KWGerald

Liked Posts:
Had to join and chime in. By the way, you guys have a kick ass forum! I lived in So Cal for the first 40 years of my life. I've seen studs and duds, booms and busts, especially coming out of USC. With regard to Barkley, this kid was a bonafide top-10 pick before getting dropped on his throwing shoulder. He made many great throws during his time in college with a pro style offense.

When Chip took him in the 4th I knew that would never pan out. Matter of fact, his should took a full 2 years to heal. Not saying he's the 2nd coming or anything, but has great decision making ability and has an outstanding attitude towards getting better. Don't be shocked if he keeps surprising you. If he keeps showing improvement maybe other areas can be addressed in the 1st couple of rounds. Certainly the secondary could use an influx of talent.

Just my $0.02. Thanks again for being such a great community!

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears should draft a QB every year, until they get it right. With that said, I like what I saw from Barkley...not that I think he is the answer...but the toughness he showed on the throws at the end of the game....dude knew he was going to get smashed and stood in there and delivered accurate balls. It was nice seeing that, over the bailout back footed bullshit throws by Cutler(usually pick 6's)

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are the odds Barkley plays well enough before years end to raise himself to Jimmy Garap status!??? Joking...kinda...unless he actually does it against most odds.

Would require doing so with a makeshift group of backup misfits vs. the friggin NE Patriots roster however...even more of an impressive handicap to overcome.

TBD vs. a legit pass rush & backfield, but if so, that could completely nip overpaying for a 2 start over-valued NE backup in the bud. Not hating on him, just unproven IMO.

RunRunRunPunt

Liked Posts:
Before crowning Matt Barkley wait till he plays a complete game.He put up numbers just because the Titans were playing like the Bears of the previous decade.

The famous prevent defense where you dont play to win...but NOT to lose.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Had to join and chime in. By the way, you guys have a kick ass forum! I lived in So Cal for the first 40 years of my life. I've seen studs and duds, booms and busts, especially coming out of USC. With regard to Barkley, this kid was a bonafide top-10 pick before getting dropped on his throwing shoulder. He made many great throws during his time in college with a pro style offense.

When Chip took him in the 4th I knew that would never pan out. Matter of fact, his should took a full 2 years to heal. Not saying he's the 2nd coming or anything, but has great decision making ability and has an outstanding attitude towards getting better. Don't be shocked if he keeps surprising you. If he keeps showing improvement maybe other areas can be addressed in the 1st couple of rounds. Certainly the secondary could use an influx of talent.

Just my $0.02. Thanks again for being such a great community!
I agree with this but we have to remember it was one game and who we were playing. Here's their pass defense results from the last 6 weeks. Doesn't take anything away from Barkley's accuracy, reads or touch but the challenge will become greater.

Cody Kessler
336 Yds (CLE)

Andrew Luck
353 Yds (IND)

Blake Bortles
337 Yds (JAX)

Phillip Rivers
275 Yds (SD)

Aaron Rodgers
371 Yds (GB)

Andrew Luck
262, (Colts)

All had higher passer ratings, some of which is those drops but none threw more picks either with only Rodgers matching. Can't fault Barkley for doing what he's supposed to do, especially on a 1st outing and man, do I want him to succeed but I'm guarded. I won't be disappointed if he has a few struggles as long as he grows. It's expected.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice to see some objectivity and optimism on the boards! Kinda have to dig for it lately.

We can only hope & pray the front office understands things wisely and doesn't buy into the dumbass clickbait firesale media and ignorantly angry fans who don't understand progress is in the works while in full on tank/development mode as losses will pile on.

Keep it going Bears. I'd love for QB to be quasi-resolved with options before the draft!!

I always wondered why there shouldn't and often aren't previous highly touted pre-draft/high pick QBs that aren't acually BETTER than a total gamble of a 1st or 2nd Rd QB pick simply due to a few years of NFL development, even if riding the pine, or thrown onto a shit team and failed their first go around.

Not saying that's the case, but it seems feasible under the right circumstances...presumably why Jimmy Garap is so highly valued despite only what TWO GAMES on his resume! Interesting topic.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How long did they give Barkely to.prepare..a fuckin week and he pulls of a pretty impressive not perfect first start - this is rhe kind of shit that had me walk away from my love for a Cutler..the damn backups. Recently have considerably ouplayed him..geez..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

He's actually been the #2 most of this season so... The love of Cutler was ill founded but really, Barkley threw 2 picks in the red zone and had a 70's passer rating. Yes, he had a bunch of drops and looked like he belonged but technically, he actually didn't outplay Jay's average game.

From what I've seen of him, Barkley will have to play smart with quick reads to be able to throw with good mechanics to remain successful. I don't want him arming ball off balance too often. Fortunately he seems smart and able to anticipate. More live reps should only make that better if the line can hold up reasonably well.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Fucking sad.

I've been saying this all along. Hell, Orton was more consistent than jay

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Nice to see some objectivity and optimism on the boards! Kinda have to dig for it lately.

We can only hope & pray the front office understands things wisely and doesn't buy into the dumbass clickbait firesale media and ignorantly angry fans who don't understand progress is in the works while in full on tank/development mode as losses will pile on.

Keep it going Bears. I'd love for QB to be quasi-resolved with options before the draft!!

I always wondered why there shouldn't and often aren't previous highly touted pre-draft/high pick QBs that aren't acually BETTER than a total gamble of a 1st or 2nd Rd QB pick simply due to a few years of NFL development, even if riding the pine, or thrown onto a shit team and failed their first go around.

Not saying that's the case, but it seems feasible under the right circumstances...presumably why Jimmy Garap is so highly valued despite only what TWO GAMES on his resume! Interesting topic.

If Kap leaves S.F., he's a better choice than Jimmy Garap

cobra302

Liked Posts:
Barkley may have looked good vs Titans, but I'll reserve any judgment until he's played a few games & other teams have some game film of him to study. A number of QB's have come out of the gate with the hot hand, then cooled off quite a bit when other teams studied their game film.