Matt Barkley is a leader of Men

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have no problem bringing back Barkley to compete with a drafted QB....we know what Hoyer and Cutler are.........it would be nice to have Barkley finish out a strong season to have his teammates get some confidence in him.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
You really have to throw this game out concerning evaluation. The only thing worse than the Bears receivers refusal to catch a ball was the Titans secondary's refusal to cover anyone. This was one of the most surreal and pathetic games I've seen in awhile

You wait till this weekend. Gonna take pathetic to an epic level.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
No one is anointing Barkley.

I think most people are looking at what we thought was a barren talentless wasteland of a position, and seeing that holy shit there might be a little hope.

Thats not what I'm thinking. I'm thinking "Now that the 5th journey-man QB in a row out-played "franchise", I wonder if this will finally tell the nuthuggers he's not a good QB?"

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There was virtually 0 film on Barkley for D coordinators to go off of. Add in the fact that yhe Titans secondary sucks, Im not surprised by Barkley production. Im surprised there seems to be a pass given to Barkley for his 2 red zone ints, and before i hear well he is young his 1st start. Take into thought that Mariota coming into that game had 31td and 0 int in the red zone. Guess i wasnt as impressed with Barkley as others are.

If you are going to look at the negatives we should also do the positives,

-Making 1st career start
-Without his top 3 WRs
-Without the #1 TE
-Without 2 Pro Bowl OGs
-With 10 drops by WRs

Mariota was the 2nd overall pick in the draft and is a budding superstar, so I do not judge Barkley against him.

No one is giving him a pass for the red zone interceptions, but to me the 3 TDs and the game winning TD drive with 1:50 left and no timeouts are more important than 1 horrendous throw.

If Barkley was a 2nd round pick from the 2016 draft who had played like that we would all be doing back flips, so why not be excited about Barkley?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you sure, because you sure sound as if you are!

Just enthused by a really strong performance from a young player that I expected nothing from.

The Bears could use some good news and Barkley's performance was good news.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thats where i differ. Mariota to me is a franchise changing QB, so if he is my benchmark regardless of draft year or status for a a young QB, i will use Mariota as my comparison. As for Barkley he did do some good things, and Im not knocking him for that, but i figured he would play well given the matchup agaimst the Titans, and lack of film on Barkley. This week should paint a more accurate picture as to what Barkley production or value going forward could potentially be. 49ers have film on him, and now know what strengths and weakness Barkley has. As well as the Chip factor being that Chip drafted him in Philly.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let Barkley keep playing. If he falls off a cliff, so what? Lose games, draft a QB. If he keeps playing well you at least have a capable NFL backup to sit behind a rookie if and when he needs help or a guy that the rookie competes with.

Barkley might suck...he might be good. You might as well find out. You have five more games to do so. Give yourself as much information you can in order to make the evaluation.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I liked what I saw as well but some should really cool their jets after one game against a weak secondary. Let it play out a bit. We lost and partially for 2 redzone trips without points. He still has trouble with velocity if he can't be in the pocket and step into his throws. There was no film on him, etc, etc.

Congrats to Barkley for his overall performance but it's one game. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

mecha

Liked Posts:
you keep referencing this weak secondary.

I'll raise you a Jay Cutler that could not score 3 touchdowns on said weak secondary.

now what?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love this weak secondary discussion.

QBs are supposed to play well against a bad secondary. That's the point. Barkley played well against a bad secondary.

By comparison Cutler against the two bad secondaries he faced this year in Tampa and the Giants was a combined 33 of 60 for 434 yards and 2 TD's and 3 INT's.

Barkley played well. That's it. He mad one horrendous throw but made a ton of other great ones and made some great decisions with the football. His leadership at the end of the talking to Bellamy was a great sign as well.

Let him keep playing and see what you have.

Also don't underestimate Pace liking Barkley a lot too. He liked him coming out of USC.

Barkley has a lot of natural ability. People forget he was in discussion for the top pick of the drat had he come out a year early. He fell due to concerns over a shoulder injury late in his senior season and not having a big time NFL arm/size. If his shoulder is healthy, which it appears to be there's a lot of talent in him and he is a natural leader and has been since HS.

But hey, he could start to suck again. Who knows.

Last edited:

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
A glimmer of hope in a shit season. Thank you Matt Barkley for that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did I say we should keep Jay???? He has zero to do with Barkley's performance and the weak secondary doesn't take away from Barkley's performance but must be considered in the big picture of wait a few games before coming to conclusions. No more and no less. To much reading in folks.

How Barkley plays from here on out will determine if we should try and resign Hoyer. I also like what I saw from Shaw in the preseason. It's just not about Jay anymore. Simply if we need a Hoyer type vet stabilizer in the mix.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Did I say we should keep Jay????.

What the fuck are you bitching about? I brought up Cutler because it's an apples to apples comparison of a guy on the same team with the same surrounding cast vs bad secondaries.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I liked what I saw as well but some should really cool their jets after one game against a weak secondary. Let it play out a bit. We lost and partially for 2 redzone trips without points. He still has trouble with velocity if he can't be in the pocket and step into his throws. There was no film on him, etc, etc.

Congrats to Barkley for his overall performance but it's one game. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Exactly is was step 1 in the evaluation.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, Matt Barkley plays well the remaining five games, then what? He is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Does he Matt Flynn himself into a multi-million dollar contract? If he out-stats Jimmy G, is he worth more?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, Matt Barkley plays well the remaining five games, then what? He is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Does he Matt Flynn himself into a multi-million dollar contract? If he out-stats Jimmy G, is he worth more?

Cross that bridge when you get there.