Matt Barkley is a leader of Men

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Bears fans still coping with the possible reality that Bears don't go QB again.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Barkley had some serious inaccuracies on easy throws.....you can chalk it up to first game start jitters, but I think he is a just a sub par NFL back up.....

We still need to go get a QB.

And he also threw a ton of darts to people, many of which were dropped.

Not perfect, but that game was well above backup level. Even good backup level (Hoyer).

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Great whatever. Anything that happened today should have no effect on the Bears approach to finding their next QB. Barkley did nothing to change my opinion of him. If Bears brass thinks today has changed the teams QB situation they should all be fired. As a fan please feel free get as giddy as you want.

Ok and when did I say anything about just 1 game? Did you miss where I said IF he continues to improve and play good?

If your QB evaluating is anything like your reading comprehension then this is good news for Bears fans..

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barkley stood in there and took hits while delivering the ball to the dropsie twins....the guy has talent and we dont know if he can be good or not. Today was a good first game...Im not counting his Chip Kelly time...guys sucks as a NFL coach.

With that said the Bears still need to draft a QB...Barkley looks like he can at least become a serviceable back up

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Barkley stood in there and took hits while delivering the ball to the dropsie twins....the guy has talent and we dont know if he can be good or not. Today was a good first game...Im not counting his Chip Kelly time...guys sucks as a NFL coach.

With that said the Bears still need to draft a QB...Barkley looks like he can at least become a serviceable back up

This is kind of like when Leno showed up and played well.

It looks like he has capped off at solid starter, but that isn't bad for where we got him and for awhile he looked like he could be a really good player.

Still a great value for us.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
slow the Barkley train, he didn't light the world on fire. Some of you fall in love way to easy! Like you did with Fox

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
I went back and watched some of his college tape after the game. He showed the same touch and pro-style offensive control at USC. He progresses VERY well, he looks off and pumps defenders VERY well also. He showed a lot of touch at USC and threw a lot of 50-yard-bombs to his WRs as well. He had an amazing group of WRs to throw to, but you have to remember he was on track to be a very high draft pick if he came out after 2011. He went back and got hurt and fell to the 4th. Then he had to endure the Kelly idiocy in PHI. Don't know if he is going to be any good, but first impression was great, especially in the second half. His ball placement is nearly perfect, and he threw while being hit repeatedly and he did it accurately. Hope he shows well again next week.

Alpha

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing I like about Barkley is he isn't a check down guy and will hold is stance to try to get the pass out.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is kind of like when Leno showed up and played well.

It looks like he has capped off at solid starter, but that isn't bad for where we got him and for awhile he looked like he could be a really good player.

Still a great value for us.

I agree

billwade

Liked Posts:
Great whatever. Anything that happened today should have no effect on the Bears approach to finding their next QB. Barkley did nothing to change my opinion of him. If Bears brass thinks today has changed the teams QB situation they should all be fired. As a fan please feel free get as giddy as you want.

The QB situation may not have changed, but the FO would be foolish to dismiss what Barkley did today. That performance, especially in the second half, was nothing short of excellent. He was good pre-snap, he looked off the safety repeatedly, found his secondary receivers and made very accurate throws. If he continues to improve, it will be very hard to justify using a #1 pick on a crap shoot QB.

I followed the Eagles when Nick Foles was the starting QB, and Barkley was kind of a joke. I thought he would be a disaster today, and he was far from it. He now has my attention.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do we have Barclay under contract for next year?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Donald Wayne Barclay III (born April 18, 1989) is an American football guard for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at West Virginia. Barclay was signed by the Packers as an undrafted free agent in 2012.

Nope

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ok and when did I say anything about just 1 game? Did you miss where I said IF he continues to improve and play good?

If your QB evaluating is anything like your reading comprehension then this is good news for Bears fans..

Typical fan overreaction, calm the fuck down. This is the same simpleminded shit we get in the preseason. If Barkley strings together multiple solid games, yup. But to pretend one game is a trend is just meatball BS at it's best.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Typical fan overreaction, calm the fuck down. This is the same simpleminded shit we get in the preseason. If Barkley strings together multiple solid games, yup.

thats what I have said 2 times now.. I'm glad you finally understand..

But to pretend one game is a trend is just meatball BS at it's best.

and where back to retardedville.. when did i pretend that 1 game was a trend?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No, but I think at worst he would be a RFA, he doesn't have 4 years of service.

Update he is a UFA, but can't see him not re-signing if things go well.

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Why can't Barkley be something?

Before today he had never started a game.

In his first start he played well and in my world is worth watching.

I'd still draft a QB in Rd 1. That said, I'd keep Matt as my back up over Hoyer.