Matt Forte on wanting to return to Bears: Jay Cutler plays 'a huge role'

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
I know I'm just a guy, but if it were up to me I'd bring him back and a fair deal. I wouldn't get into a bidding war but I would offer him a reasonable contract. I tell Matt that I want him to take more a joker / flex / 3rd down running back role and hopefully extend his career a few years. Langford is the starter but Forte still plays 65% of the snaps. Sometimes flexed out, sometimes in the backfield, sometimes in a dual backfield. He still has plenty left to offer, he is better than any 4th WR that is going to be on any roster (and I think that's selling it really short) and if Langford were to get hurt the offense wouldn't miss a beat. Forte could be a guy that creates mismatches, sustains drives, and keeps the offense in rhythm. I just feel like there is a lot to gain from keeping him around at a reasonable price and very little to gain (for the Bears and Forte) for letting him leave.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
hahahhhaa

Add Forte to the growing list of Cutler #fanboys on the Bears.

Kyle Long is still President of the fanboy club.

It's amazing how dumb Chicago fans are when it comes to Cutler. The teammates go out of there way to support him and then you have Chicagoans "Omgz he sucks omg we need to trade him omggg"

Morons

You think Forte is gonna talk shit about his QB to the press while he is looking for a new contract? You think Forte is a fucking idiot?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know I'm just a guy, but if it were up to me I'd bring him back and a fair deal. I wouldn't get into a bidding war but I would offer him a reasonable contract. I tell Matt that I want him to take more a joker / flex / 3rd down running back role and hopefully extend his career a few years. Langford is the starter but Forte still plays 65% of the snaps. Sometimes flexed out, sometimes in the backfield, sometimes in a dual backfield. He still has plenty left to offer, he is better than any 4th WR that is going to be on any roster (and I think that's selling it really short) and if Langford were to get hurt the offense wouldn't miss a beat. Forte could be a guy that creates mismatches, sustains drives, and keeps the offense in rhythm. I just feel like there is a lot to gain from keeping him around at a reasonable price and very little to gain (for the Bears and Forte) for letting him leave.

I agree here. Good post.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
You think Forte is gonna talk shit about his QB to the press while he is looking for a new contract? You think Forte is a fucking idiot?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Have you not seen every single one of his posts....?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I have to say I didn't see the same improvements you and others claim to have seen this past year. I'd also have to point out the obvious fact you can't compare QB numbers from today to 40, or even 10, years ago. A big part of a Qb's level of success would be the success his team has had with him. Very few QBs in the league have seen less team success than Cutler. Do you stay with the guy you aren't winning with because your team has a history of bad QB play? That seems silly and counterproductive to winning.

Lol just wow.

So when cutler was making plays did you just have your arms folded, pouting hoping he'll suck?

I believe he led the Bears to what? 4 comebacks? And the D blew it last second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lol just wow.

So when cutler was making plays did you just have your arms folded, pouting hoping he'll suck?

No, I pout when he sucks. Which is often. Every year.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Lol just wow.

He lead us to 6 wins.

And 5 last year.

And 5 the year before.

Winner!

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No quarterback sucked more this year than Peyton Manning, and he won the Superbowl.

But Peyton had top ten leadership ability. At least that is what some moron told us

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
We have to remember that our WR crew is nothing to write home to about. Alshon (misses every other game), Royal, Mariani, the rest of our WR crew are not that great. White? we don't even know how he'll play after missing the whole season and how his injury will impact overall play. Miller might be gone. So less and less receiving support.

Forte is a guy that adds big time receiving ability. Don't tell me that Langford and Carey are anywhere close to Forte when it comes to receiving. At the right price, Forte can come back and have a limited rushing ability but instead expand our 2 back system to incorporate a receiving threat along with the ability for him and Langford, Carey to showcase their rushing skills.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol just wow.

Despbro, have you any idea what record the Bears finished with. You talk like he was winning key games for a last place team.

Come to your senses. You've been out riding fences for so long now. Oh, you're a hard one. I know that you got your reasons. These things that are pleasin' you can hurt you somehow.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its amazing to me that some schlep like AJ McCarron can be thrown into the fire and still produce at a level superior to Jay Cutler. Teams are making the postseason with guys like Brian Hoyer and Kirk Cousins at QB, and those guys are putting up numbers that are mind-bogglingly superior to anything Cutler has ever done with the Bears. Who knows how many other QBs are just sitting on the bench, waiting for their opportunity to play, who would prove to be better than Cutler. Even Josh McCown put up numbers superior to Cutler WHILE ON THE BEARS, yet some people still believe this narrative that it would be next to impossible to replace Cutler. The only thing that's impossible is getting rid of Cutler while he is still on the Cliff Stein contract.

Instead of comparing Jay Cutler's passing statistics to Paddy Driscoll's 1926 season, how about compare Cutler to the dozen or so QBs who are currently having success in the NFL -- any of whom the Bears could have acquired for next to nothing over the past few years?

Preach it, brotha! Took the words right out of my mouth.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Despbro, have you any idea what record the Bears finished with. You talk like he was winning key games for a last place team.

Come to your senses. You've been out riding fences for so long now. Oh, you're a hard one. I know that you got your reasons. These things that are pleasin' you can hurt you somehow.

It's a team game too by your lot is Marino isn't good because he never won the super bowl.

And ah yes;
Love that song. The feels of relatability [emoji854]

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a team game too by your lot is Marino isn't good because he never won the super bowl.

And ah yes;
Love that song. The feels of relatability [emoji854]

How often did Marino get to the playoffs compared to the object of your affection?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

What has Langford shown that you feel he should be starting over one of the best backs of his era? Was it his 3.6 ypc or his stone hands that convinced you of this?

I doubt Forte will be back, but if he is, he should be the starter. He isn't just better than Langford at receiving, he's better at running the ball too.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
What has Langford shown that you feel he should be starting over one of the best backs of his era? Was it his 3.6 ypc or his stone hands that convinced you of this?

I doubt Forte will be back, but if he is, he should be the starter. He isn't just better than Langford at receiving, he's better at running the ball too.

Agree with ya. Bears do not currently have adequate replacement for Matty.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
How often did Marino get to the playoffs compared to the object of your affection?

Gonna help you out Despbro cause I like you in spite of your obvious flaws. Dan made it to the playoffs 10 times in 17 years. Jay has seen the playoffs once in 10 years. See the difference?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its amazing to me that some schlep like AJ McCarron can be thrown into the fire and still produce at a level superior to Jay Cutler. Teams are making the postseason with guys like Brian Hoyer and Kirk Cousins at QB, and those guys are putting up numbers that are mind-bogglingly superior to anything Cutler has ever done with the Bears. Who knows how many other QBs are just sitting on the bench, waiting for their opportunity to play, who would prove to be better than Cutler. Even Josh McCown put up numbers superior to Cutler WHILE ON THE BEARS, yet some people still believe this narrative that it would be next to impossible to replace Cutler. The only thing that's impossible is getting rid of Cutler while he is still on the Cliff Stein contract.

Instead of comparing Jay Cutler's passing statistics to Paddy Driscoll's 1926 season, how about compare Cutler to the dozen or so QBs who are currently having success in the NFL -- any of whom the Bears could have acquired for next to nothing over the past few years?

This.

It's pretty amusing to look back at old threads and see guys we've mentioned before as being stop gap guys to Cutler(Fitzpatrick, Palmer etc) go out and produce at Cutler's level for a fraction of the price of produce at near MVP levels for a discount compared to Cutler when they were laughed at during the time when we brought them up. For God sakes last year we had threads questioning if Cam Newton was better than Cutler. You look this year the QB leader board and you see asswipes like Tyrod Taylor, Matt Stafford, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Josh McCown all out performing Cutler and Cutler barely outproducing young QB's like Mariota and Bridgewater or on par with the Brian Hoyer's of the world. Cutler's "best year" of his career was good for 17th in the NFL in passer rating. 17th. How would that be "tough" to move on from? Or "tough" to replace?

As recently as 2014 Cutler was barely out producing Mark Sanchez and Kyle Orton yet somehow we still have Bears fans hedging their bets that moving on from Cutler is in any real way "risky" or his production would be "difficult to replace". It's insane.