Matt Garza Conundrum

What would you do with Matt Garza

• Total voters

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been in favor of an extension for a while. I think the timing will work out that it work out the best for the club, but we will see.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I've been in favor of an extension for a while. I think the timing will work out that it work out the best for the club, but we will see.

See, I'm in favor of a trade obviously dependent on what the Cubs can get back, which probably isn't much of anything at this point.

At this point, Garza will be like 34 by the time the Cubs are ready to compete, is that a guy Theo wants to invest big bucks in?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
See, I'm in favor of a trade obviously dependent on what the Cubs can get back, which probably isn't much of anything at this point.

At this point, Garza will be like 34 by the time the Cubs are ready to compete, is that a guy Theo wants to invest big bucks in?

If the Cubs aren't competive by the time Garza is 34 than Theo will be gone.

patg006

Liked Posts:
John Danks like extension. 5 years, 65 million. Hes hurt, and wants to stick around. Injury helps the front office.

If he gets dealt, hes gotta get hot and fast.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
John Danks like extension. 5 years, 65 million. Hes hurt, and wants to stick around. Injury helps the front office.

If he gets dealt, hes gotta get hot and fast.

I think the number is closer to the Anibal Sanchez deal to be honest given the market, but I think that is still the best deal unless some team wants to overpay at the deadline.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
garza will be on display for 2 months to try and deal him, if their unable to make a deal i can see them making him a 1 yr offer after the season with a 2nd yr an option.
if he accepts great if not then they get a draft pick..

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
I don't get it- Garza isn't an ace. He's a solid #2 or #3 in a good rotation. I don't think he's worth 10.25M on a team that tells its fans it won't be competing until 2015.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I don't get it- Garza isn't an ace. He's a solid #2 or #3 in a good rotation. I don't think he's worth 10.25M on a team that tells its fans it won't be competing until 2015.

And if you don't start retaining some legitimate major league talent, 2015 becomes 2020.

This team has more than enough money to spend $10.25M on a pitcher the quality of Garza no matter how many games they lose or how many years until people think they can compete.

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
I'd rather spend 4.75M on Paul Maholm than 10.25M on Garza.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I'd rather spend 4.75M on Paul Maholm than 10.25M on Garza.

Revisionist history.

If Maholm continues to pitch like he has started this year, he will be in the double digit millions next year as a FA.

I'd rather spend $10.25M on Garza than $6M on Feldman.

It works both ways.

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
Malholm pitched really well for us last year for 4.75M (he's making 6-something mil this year) and we traded him. An actual free agent signing that was working and we dump him. I don't get it. Garza is over rated.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Malholm pitched really well for us last year for 4.75M (he's making 6-something mil this year) and we traded him. An actual free agent signing that was working and we dump him. I don't get it. Garza is over rated.

Garza isn't overrated at all.

He pitched just as well as Maholm did last year. Slightly higher ERA but less hits per 9, lower WHIP and more K's per 9 and the year before he was significantly better than Maholm was last year.

The Cubs need to start keeping talented players like Garza or this rebuilding will never end.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
If Garza comes out of his injury and is still able to throw 95 consistantly with the big hook getting over the plate......

I would like him extended. He's very competitive on the mound. To let him go, if healthy, would be stupid. Fuck prospects. The season looks to be tanked once again for the high draft positioning and a few more cents to spend internationally (Yeeee Hawwwwww !!!!!!) anyway. He can probably be had for a slight discount. I would take Garza at 85% health over Jackson and what he's being paid.

If Shark keeps pitching well. He's going to get paid. I'm guessing he could easily get 12-15 million per if he tests the market. Are the Cubs going to pay him ? That's the question.

What sucks is our best players are only slightly above average at the ML level, as a whole, and there's not that many of them. We need some big names to help lead this club and help tap into the potential that is there to provide confidence on a game by game basis. Are we just going to be content with wasting away years of ML seasons for prospects ? It has to start somewhere. After two offseasons and a trade deadline. This team is much worse and not improved.

It's time to SHITCAN the genius Epstein along with his pathetic manager and coaching staff. (minus Dave McKay) Who should probably be managing this team out of what's there now.

It's been beyond disgusting to watch. Theo has shown that without the open checkbook he's a complete incompetent and horrible judge of talent with this team. The crew he has hired and the players he's brought in, overall, have been fucking pathetic to say the least. So if someone would like to point out later that he can draft well out of the top ten in the first round, my question would be well who really couldn't.

With this great big office and new computers with full staff now on high alert, along with the 'great' scouting and "talent' people at SpedStein's disposal. I would have thought we would see something much different than we have seen on the field. In fact, it has been much different. We are watching some of the worst baseball as a result, that I can truely remember, in my over 35 years as a Cubs fan.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If Garza comes out of his injury and is still able to throw 95 consistantly with the big hook getting over the plate......

I would like him extended. He's very competitive on the mound. To let him go, if healthy, would be stupid. Fuck prospects. The season looks to be tanked once again for the high draft positioning and a few more cents to spend internationally (Yeeee Hawwwwww !!!!!!) anyway. He can probably be had for a slight discount. I would take Garza at 85% health over Jackson and what he's being paid.

If Shark keeps pitching well. He's going to get paid. I'm guessing he could easily get 12-15 million per if he tests the market. Are the Cubs going to pay him ? That's the question.

What sucks is our best players are only slightly above average at the ML level, as a whole, and there's not that many of them. We need some big names to help lead this club and help tap into the potential that is there to provide confidence on a game by game basis. Are we just going to be content with wasting away years of ML seasons for prospects ? It has to start somewhere. After two offseasons and a trade deadline. This team is much worse and not improved.

It's time to SHITCAN the genius Epstein along with his pathetic manager and coaching staff. (minus Dave McKay) Who should probably be managing this team out of what's there now.

It's been beyond disgusting to watch. Theo has shown that without the open checkbook he's a complete incompetent and horrible judge of talent with this team. The crew he has hired and the players he's brought in, overall, have been fucking pathetic to say the least. So if someone would like to point out later that he can draft well out of the top ten in the first round, my question would be well who really couldn't.

With this great big office and new computers with full staff now on high alert, along with the 'great' scouting and "talent' people at SpedStein's disposal. I would have thought we would see something much different than we have seen on the field. In fact, it has been much different. We are watching some of the worst baseball as a result, that I can truely remember, in my over 35 years as a Cubs fan.

I hear ya on the manager part. If he doesn't have the autonomy to make decisions on who closes, why doesn't Theo manage the team himself?

May as well have kept Quade for a few years if they weren't serious about competing at the MLB level for 2-3 years.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's time to SHITCAN the genius Epstein along with his pathetic manager and coaching staff. (minus Dave Duncan) Who should probably be managing this team out of what's there now.

It's been beyond disgusting to watch. Theo has shown that without the open checkbook he's a complete incompetent and horrible judge of talent with this team. The crew he has hired and the players he's brought in, overall, have been fucking pathetic to say the least. So if someone would like to point out later that he can draft well out of the top ten in the first round, my question would well who really couldn't.

With this great big office and computers with full staff now on high alert, along with the 'great' scouting and "talent' people at SpedStein's disposal. I would have thought we would see something much different than we have seen on the field. In fact, it has been much different. We are watching some of the worst baseball as a result, that I can truely remember, in my over 35 years as a Cubs fan.
I'm going to assume you are referring to Dave McKay and not Duncan. I am a big fan of the work McKay has done so far, but it would be awesome to get Duncan, which is basically impossible.

As far as trading Garza goes it is all about what is offered. The Cubs have to listen on what teams are offering for Garza, but unless it is a deal too good to refuse I would like to see them resign him. Garza, Samardzija, Jackson, Wood or Villanueva is a decent 2-5. If they could get that headline guy this would actually be an awesome staff.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Are we just going to be content with wasting away years of ML seasons for prospects ? It has to start somewhere. After two offseasons and a trade deadline. This team is much worse and not improved.

Quite sadly there are many people who are happy with this and said it is the smart thing to do to waste entire seasons to get a slightly higher draft pick and a few extra dollars in the international market.

Just totally ignorant.

As long as there continues to be a large portion of the fan base dumb enough to by the PR campaign and fraud that rebuilding through prospects only there is no real reason for Ricketts to change the plan.

He can laugh all the way to the bank like he has been the last three years.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
In fact, it has been much different. We are watching some of the worst baseball as a result, that I can truely remember, in my over 35 years as a Cubs fan.

Easily some of the worst baseball in the history of a franchise that is unfortunately known for bad baseball.

That is really saying something.

Those teams of the 70's and early 80's were really, really bad but even they were more talented than the team this year and last year.

Back then you at least had players like Bill Madlock, Bill Buckner, Rick Reuschel, Bruce Sutter and Dave Kingman.

Right now you have Starlin Castro and even he is frustrating to watch because it is obvious he really doesn't care and now with a long term contract really has no motivation to improve now. He is already paid.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I'm going to assume you are referring to Dave McKay and not Duncan. I am a big fan of the work McKay has done so far, but it would be awesome to get Duncan, which is basically impossible.

As far as trading Garza goes it is all about what is offered. The Cubs have to listen on what teams are offering for Garza, but unless it is a deal too good to refuse I would like to see them resign him. Garza, Samardzija, Jackson, Wood or Villanueva is a decent 2-5. If they could get that headline guy this would actually be an awesome staff.

Thanks for the correction dab. I meant McKay and went back and made the edit accordingly.

I don't really care about what we get for Garza. At some point you have got to start RETAINIG PRESENT TALENT at EVERY position on the ML ball club.

If we want a revolving door then this pattern will get us nowhere. It starts with bringing in the right players when the transactions are made. Thoyer hasn't made one that has improved this team, just Ricketts wallet. I am tired of hearing about Rizzo as a "great move". It has been a slightly better move at this point and the only one worth mentioning. Scheitholez and Villanueva were discount moves with flipping them at the forefront. They are going to hit on some. SpedStein's big brag about last season is what he received in the deal for Manhole'm. They aren't even hitting at a 20% success rate, in their favor, in the players brought in to help.

Mind-numbingly pathetic.

Looks like something to really puff your chest out about doesn't it. The guy hasn't done shit.