Matt Garza Conundrum

What would you do with Matt Garza

• Total voters

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Only time quaity teams should care about future talent is when said player is getting old. Not because that is a solution or a cheaper way. The Cubs can afford to retain talent and sign potential talent while developing. The whole tank for a bigger a lot is just stupid. I do not see other big market teams inluding Theo in Boston pulling this bunch of crap. This is what teams like Oakland pull because they have small revenues. Just pathetic. Now the real question to me is: is Garza worth investing resource into? If they sign Appel and fast foward him to 2014 no. If they take Grey and have to develop yes resign. To be honest this team needs more run support and it would be wiser to pump the O.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Now the real question to me is: is Garza worth investing resource into? If they sign Appel and fast foward him to 2014 no.

The only resource needed to retain Garza is cash which the Cubs have PLENTY of, even with the renovations.

A team needs 5 starting pitchers. Even if Appel is fast forwarded to 2014 there is room for both Garza and Appel.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs headed into Sunday's series finale against the Brewers having won three of the last 13 games. They are among the Major League leaders in errors, adding three more Saturday in a 5-1 loss, and also have the lowest batting average in the Majors with runners in scoring position. They're wasting solid starting pitching. Chicago's starters have a 3.19 ERA, fifth lowest in the National League.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree KB. But if I had to choose I'd take Appel and invest what they would have to into a impact hitter. The core problem is run production.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
The Cubs headed into Sunday's series finale against the Brewers having won three of the last 13 games. They are among the Major League leaders in errors, adding three more Saturday in a 5-1 loss, and also have the lowest batting average in the Majors with runners in scoring position. They're wasting solid starting pitching. Chicago's starters have a 3.19 ERA, fifth lowest in the National League.

Only Houston as a team has allowed more unearned runs than the Cubs.

Really doesn't matter how good the starting pitching is when you have one of the worst offensive teams in the majors combined with one of the worst defensive teams.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I agree KB. But if I had to choose I'd take Appel and invest what they would have to into a impact hitter. The core problem is run production.

I would choose Appel, keep Garza AND add an impact hitter.

You know I was very critical when they didn't take Appel last year.

The Cubs have the resources to easily do all of that.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
What's even more pathetic is at the beginning of the season Thoyer and Dale said NUMEROUS times that this team was built with defense in mind.

I guess they thought making that statement alone would deflect the attention off the fact that they never had a chance on offense.

Now what's the excuse. .....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well ya. The problem is D also. Castro is racking up the errors. Feldman pitched well but made an error. Lost 4-2 but we can also say if they had better hitting that game could be 5-4 also. Why I say the core problem is run production is because it forces The pitching and D to play flawless to win. That never happens. So the best solution is to generate more over all runs. Thus invest into hitting. I get they can do both but I acknowlege that the ownership will not increase payroll. And I acknowlege that Jed has made bad choices as a GM with his signings. I hold little faith in him. I hold more via draft selection to be honest. Jed doesn't seems to be a part of it. But sense they have another year of control on Carlos and control over Wood and Shark. Jackson under contract for 4 more. They add Appel and 15 mil into a middle of the order hitter it would be better then what has been happening sense the turn over.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Only Houston as a team has allowed more unearned runs than the Cubs.

Really doesn't matter how good the starting pitching is when you have one of the worst offensive teams in the majors combined with one of the worst defensive teams.

This really sums it up. Its why I was clamoring for Swisher and Chavez; who yes--I will guarantee if both were in right and at 3B; the failing and embarrassing stat of the cubs runners stranded in scoring position with less than 2 outs would be significantly less. Scheirholtz has been spectacular so far; but his history shows hes bound to cool off; career 270 hitters dont hit 320+ like hes doing now for a whole year. Bats are still a need, and the cubs will have another opportunity or 10 this offseason to grab one. Reynolds and Youkilis at 3B, Morse, Hart, Pence and Elsbury in center; and plenty of great bullpen arms surely to put the deserving Camp, Marmol, and Feldman out of a job.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This really sums it up. Its why I was clamoring for Swisher and Chavez; who yes--I will guarantee if both were in right and at 3B; the failing and embarrassing stat of the cubs runners stranded in scoring position with less than 2 outs would be significantly less. Scheirholtz has been spectacular so far; but his history shows hes bound to cool off; career 270 hitters dont hit 320+ like hes doing now for a whole year. Bats are still a need, and the cubs will have another opportunity or 10 this offseason to grab one. Reynolds and Youkilis at 3B, Morse, Hart, Pence and Elsbury in center; and plenty of great bullpen arms surely to put the deserving Camp, Marmol, and Feldman out of a job.

OBP: Cubs 27th in the league.

OBA: .287

League AVG: .318

RS per game: 3.35

ERA: 3.67 10th in the league.
OBP given up by staff: .310 10th in the league.

Staff is better then expected. Because that is where the investment went.

They went cheap on the O and we are seeing the results.

And a key part of it:

The platoons:

Scott Hariston .158 OBA
David Sappelt: .100 OBA
Lillibridge: .042 OBA

63 wasted PA.

At least they reacted fast with Lillbridge.

Again this is the direct result of skimping on the O. Skimping gave starter jobs to players that lacked the ability to play full time.

Every thing relates to this fact and until they move away from this faulty philosophy the result will always be the same.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Let's not forget that pitching gets a better return come the trade deadline on prospects. Which I why I believe they are wanting to make sure they are tanking the season by adding nothing significant offensively. The pitching added was mediocre at best. I believe they are just going to flip them for what they can get prospect wise if they get lucky or just let them go at the end of the season.

So I guess they are doing both. Trying to add prospects and tank the season for better draft positioning, while neglecting to install a legitimate playoff type caliber team that the fans deserve and the ticket prices indicate.

Purely disgusting.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another amazing thing: How could Feldman have 3 errors in 3 games..... another reason to call him Failman.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Another amazing thing: How could Feldman have 3 errors in 3 games..... another reason to call him Failman.

You'll have to ask the Mighty Hoyer who was so quick to run to the media with excitement when he signed him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let's not forget that pitching gets a better return come the trade deadline on prospects. Which I why I believe they are wanting to make sure they are tanking the season by adding nothing significant offensively. The pitching added was mediocre at best. I believe they are just going to flip them for what they can get prospect wise if they get lucky or just let them go at the end of the season.

So I guess they are doing both. Trying to add prospects and tank the season for better draft positioning, while neglecting to install a legitimate palyoff caliber team that the fans deserve.

Purely disgusting.

Totally. That is why they over slotted into pitching.

Garza we can expect the master plan was to trade him.

Baker there was a small chance they may have been ready out of S/T. No one logically would have depended on it. But he becomes a replacement for Garza post trade and easily dropped as it was a one year deal. If he did come out of S/T then he becomes a unexpected trade chip.

Villenueva was just depth. He becomes a trade chip now.

Failman has no value. He should become post trade depth. I expect him to go to the pen after Garza gets back so Garza can push his trade value up.

The problem is none of these guys will get a return that makes this effort worth it.

Last year has any return knocked our soxs off? No. What was given up has more value this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Randy Wells and Travis Wood >>>>>> Scott Feldman

Too early to call that one.

On history:
Randy Wells 5 years: 28-32 4.08 ERA. 1.386 WHIP 9.4 H/9 3.1 BB/9 7.5 SO/9
Travis Wood 4 years: 18-24 4.10 ERA. 1.241 WHIP 8.2 H/9 3.0 BB/9 5.9 SO/9
Scott Feldman 9 years 39-46 4.83 ERA 1.425 WHIP 9.7 H/9 3.2 BB/9 5.3 SO/9

all 3 are #5's if that.

Wood is at least doing well this year. So it is a start we hope.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The best option is to extend him.

Like I said I believe if they score Appel and set up a deal that he is in the rotation in 2014 it is less likely.

Best scenario:

Taking into consideration that they keep at 100-110 mil.

They shed off Baker, Dejesus, Feldman, Garza, Marmol, Schierholtz, Stewart 40.25 commitment.
Pay increase to Barney, Wood, Shark and Russell in Arb. 9 mil I'd guess total.
Say Appel gets 1 mil first year with a big bonus not added to payroll.

so 30 mil aprox freed up for investment time.

2014 Free Agent Power Rankings
By Tim Dierkes [April 18, 2013 at 9:42am CST]
Roughly nine percent of the regular season is in the books, and it's time for a new installment in our 2014 Free Agents Power Rankings series. Since our last update, top potential free agent starter Adam Wainwright was locked up by the Cardinals through 2018.

The full list of players who will be eligible for free agency can be found here.

1. Robinson Cano. Interesting news earlier this month, as Cano fired agent Scott Boras in favor of CAA and Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports. Seasoned baseball agent Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA will take lead on contract negotiations, though the agent told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports Jay-Z will be "intimately involved." There's a general feeling that Cano's agency switch makes an extension more likely, but we haven't heard of any progress on that front lately. In an MLBTR poll a week ago of over 13,000 readers, 78% felt Cano would be extended by the Yankees.

2. Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury is not off to a blazing start -- he's got six extra-base hits in 67 plate appearances, but he's drawing fewer walks than ever. I'm willing to overlook that for now and focus on the fact that the 29-year-old appears fully healthy.

3. Shin-Soo Choo. The 30-year-old doesn't appear suited for center field, but he's off to a great start offensively. With good health, he could hit 15+ home runs and score 100 with his usual solid OBP, which should play quite well in free agency.

4. Josh Johnson. JJ looked good in his last start against the White Sox, a nice bounceback from a career-worst 1 1/3 inning stint against Detroit. In an MLBTR poll Monday of over 15,000 readers, Johnson was voted the best free agent starter of the upcoming class. However, he won that vote with about 19.6% of the total, and plenty of readers favored Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay, Tim Hudson, Matt Garza, or Paul Maholm.

5. Hunter Pence. He's shown some pop in the early going, but Pence's walk rate is down and his strikeout rate is up. Pence's ranking here is tenuous.

6. Chase Utley. A new entrant to this list, Utley is finally healthy and is hitting for big power. His .566 slugging percentage ranks fourth among qualified second basemen. A healthy campaign should lead to a multiyear deal, though at age 35 in December it may be difficult to find a third guaranteed year.

7. Matt Garza. That Garza ranks as the second best free agent starter speaks to the huge question marks in this free agent class, since he hasn't pitched in the Majors since July 21st of last year due to injuries. Garza is slated for a minor league rehab appearance tomorrow, weather permitting, and Cubs manager Dale Sveum told reporters including Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that the righty will make four rehab starts before the team decides whether to activate him.

8. Brian McCann. As he rehabbed from shoulder surgery, McCann encountered some tenderness in his right wrist. It's said to be a minor issue, and he should begin catching in extended spring training soon.

9. Tim Lincecum. There's been nothing positive about Lincecum's first three starts, as he leads MLB in walks allowed and has surrendered three home runs in 16 innings. It's much too early to declare him finished as a useful starting pitcher, but he is in danger of dropping out of the top ten free agents.

10. Roy Halladay. It hasn't been much better for Doc, who looked quite bad in his first two starts of the season. He did shut down the Giancarlo Stanton-less Marlins on Sunday, a team currently hitting .209/.272/.271. Tomorrow's start against the Cardinals will be a better test.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
6. Chase Utley. A new entrant to this list, Utley is finally healthy and is hitting for big power. His .566 slugging percentage ranks fourth among qualified second basemen. A healthy campaign should lead to a multiyear deal, though at age 35 in December it may be difficult to find a third guaranteed year.

If he would move to 3rd I'd give him 2-3. Age would be a major factor.

Cano I doubt he leaves the Yanks.

3. Shin-Soo Choo. The 30-year-old doesn't appear suited for center field, but he's off to a great start offensively. With good health, he could hit 15+ home runs and score 100 with his usual solid OBP, which should play quite well in free agency.

Interesting but 15 HR's seem light for RF.

2. Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury is not off to a blazing start -- he's got six extra-base hits in 67 plate appearances, but he's drawing fewer walks than ever. I'm willing to overlook that for now and focus on the fact that the 29-year-old appears fully healthy

I can see the Bos connect here. But not sure to be honest. Have to see how he does this year. If he is hitting for power they will have LF open post 2014 and CF is not a sure thing with B. Jaxx.