Matt Garza Conundrum

What would you do with Matt Garza

• Total voters

patg006

Liked Posts:
Like I said I believe if they score Appel and set up a deal that he is in the rotation in 2014 it is less likely.

Best scenario:

Taking into consideration that they keep at 100-110 mil.

They shed off Baker, Dejesus, Feldman, Garza, Marmol, Schierholtz, Stewart 40.25 commitment.
Pay increase to Barney, Wood, Shark and Russell in Arb. 9 mil I'd guess total.
Say Appel gets 1 mil first year with a big bonus not added to payroll.

so 30 mil aprox freed up for investment time.

2014 Free Agent Power Rankings
By Tim Dierkes [April 18, 2013 at 9:42am CST]
Roughly nine percent of the regular season is in the books, and it's time for a new installment in our 2014 Free Agents Power Rankings series. Since our last update, top potential free agent starter Adam Wainwright was locked up by the Cardinals through 2018.

The full list of players who will be eligible for free agency can be found here.

1. Robinson Cano. Interesting news earlier this month, as Cano fired agent Scott Boras in favor of CAA and Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports. Seasoned baseball agent Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA will take lead on contract negotiations, though the agent told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports Jay-Z will be "intimately involved." There's a general feeling that Cano's agency switch makes an extension more likely, but we haven't heard of any progress on that front lately. In an MLBTR poll a week ago of over 13,000 readers, 78% felt Cano would be extended by the Yankees.

2. Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury is not off to a blazing start -- he's got six extra-base hits in 67 plate appearances, but he's drawing fewer walks than ever. I'm willing to overlook that for now and focus on the fact that the 29-year-old appears fully healthy.

3. Shin-Soo Choo. The 30-year-old doesn't appear suited for center field, but he's off to a great start offensively. With good health, he could hit 15+ home runs and score 100 with his usual solid OBP, which should play quite well in free agency.

4. Josh Johnson. JJ looked good in his last start against the White Sox, a nice bounceback from a career-worst 1 1/3 inning stint against Detroit. In an MLBTR poll Monday of over 15,000 readers, Johnson was voted the best free agent starter of the upcoming class. However, he won that vote with about 19.6% of the total, and plenty of readers favored Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay, Tim Hudson, Matt Garza, or Paul Maholm.

5. Hunter Pence. He's shown some pop in the early going, but Pence's walk rate is down and his strikeout rate is up. Pence's ranking here is tenuous.

6. Chase Utley. A new entrant to this list, Utley is finally healthy and is hitting for big power. His .566 slugging percentage ranks fourth among qualified second basemen. A healthy campaign should lead to a multiyear deal, though at age 35 in December it may be difficult to find a third guaranteed year.

7. Matt Garza. That Garza ranks as the second best free agent starter speaks to the huge question marks in this free agent class, since he hasn't pitched in the Majors since July 21st of last year due to injuries. Garza is slated for a minor league rehab appearance tomorrow, weather permitting, and Cubs manager Dale Sveum told reporters including Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that the righty will make four rehab starts before the team decides whether to activate him.

8. Brian McCann. As he rehabbed from shoulder surgery, McCann encountered some tenderness in his right wrist. It's said to be a minor issue, and he should begin catching in extended spring training soon.

9. Tim Lincecum. There's been nothing positive about Lincecum's first three starts, as he leads MLB in walks allowed and has surrendered three home runs in 16 innings. It's much too early to declare him finished as a useful starting pitcher, but he is in danger of dropping out of the top ten free agents.

10. Roy Halladay. It hasn't been much better for Doc, who looked quite bad in his first two starts of the season. He did shut down the Giancarlo Stanton-less Marlins on Sunday, a team currently hitting .209/.272/.271. Tomorrow's start against the Cardinals will be a better test.

Brilliant post cfs; however:

I believe the White Sox are setting up to acquire Bobi Cano. Rios and Konerko hit the market (unlikely to be resigned and retiring;) thats about 17 million a piece. 34 million in cap opened up and a frustrating to watch Gordon Beckham who is a bust currently manning 2B. Match made in heaven unless Kenny Williams doesnt want to play ball.

I think Chase Utley is a lifer in Philly; but wouldnt complain with a 2-3 year deal if Philly outright lets him go.

One of Elsbury, Choo and Pence is a must sign. I'll throw in Cory Hart; know he's injured, but hes a great hitter who is a more believable 1B backup option than.......whatever we have now.

Josh Johnson, Lincecum, and Doc are signed only if we dont see a deal for big fish pitcher. Probably Josh Johnson; Jedstein likes him. Love Lincecum but his windup is catching up with his body, he cant throw 97-98, and hes been struggling with the zone recently. And Doc; I'd love period. One of my favorite all time guys. But I think he goes back to Toronto.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Randy Wells and Travis Wood >>>>>> Scott Feldman

Too early to call that one.

On history:
Randy Wells 5 years: 28-32 4.08 ERA. 1.386 WHIP 9.4 H/9 3.1 BB/9 7.5 SO/9
Travis Wood 4 years: 18-24 4.10 ERA. 1.241 WHIP 8.2 H/9 3.0 BB/9 5.9 SO/9
Scott Feldman 9 years 39-46 4.83 ERA 1.425 WHIP 9.7 H/9 3.2 BB/9 5.3 SO/9

all 3 are #5's if that.

Wood is at least doing well this year. So it is a start we hope.

Wood did pretty good last season, he really only had a few bad games out of his 30(?) starts. I think having him as a number 5 would mean you have a solid rotation and right now he is their number 3 and number 4 when Matt Garza comes back.

If it is possible for them to bring back Matt Garza along with signing one of those top free agent pitchers, they will have one of the best rotations in MLB. If the Cubs draft one of those top 3 pitching prospect, maybe that player will be ready for 2014? The top 3 pitchers are college pitchers right?

1. Matt Garza/Free agent (Number one on some teams, number two on some teams)
2. Free Agent/Matt Garza (Same as 1.)
3. Jeff Samardzija (Can be a number two on a lot of teams)
4. Edwin Jackson (Number three on most teams but could be a number two on a few teams)
5. Travis Wood (Right now a number four or five but has potential to at least be a number 3)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Take into concidetation that the Cubs rank #10 in ERA , #29 in runs scored per game and they are sporting a losing record. Dumping more into the staff will not fix this issue. They have to invest into RS. So again I believe they should invest into proven hitters. But post Draft I believe this situation will shake out. If they get Appel and fast track him I expect Garza dealt out. Of the F/A listed Jacoby makes the most sense with Utley being a wish list. They could sign both under 30. Mil per and it would go far.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Take into concidetation that the Cubs rank #10 in ERA , #29 in runs scored per game and they are sporting a losing record. Dumping more into the staff will not fix this issue. They have to invest into RS. So again I believe they should invest into proven hitters.

First off, there is no way the starting pitching remains with the #10 ERA.

The rotation is a long ways from being a playoff caliber rotation.

That is why you need to keep Garza, draft Appel and sign hitters.

Pretty basic.

There is no reason to trade Garza if he is healthy for more lottery tickets

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh I would retain Carlos as he is signed for 2014. Rotation would be: Shark, Jackson, Wood, Villenueva, Appel. Like I said if they don't get Appel and Get Grey and he is 3 years out I am not sure. Who knows Baker may want to come back on a 3 year as far as we know and it would make some sense until some of the pitching develops. Like I said we will get a better idea after the draft.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nothing to do with lottery tickets. More to do with what they should do with payroll. We know that they will not up payroll so for the 30 mil I would rather spend on hitting. The staff is not that bad but again come draft this will shake out more.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Nothing to do with lottery tickets. More to do with what they should do with payroll. We know that they will not up payroll so for the 30 mil I would rather spend on hitting. The staff is not that bad but again come draft this will shake out more.

If they don't up the payroll back up, it will be very difficult to develop and maintain success at the major league level.

Well all know they have the resources to up payroll, they just have to decide which is more important. Wins or profit.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
If they don't up the payroll back up, it will be very difficult to develop and maintain success at the major league level.

Well all know they have the resources to up payroll, they just have to decide which is more important. Wins or profit.

What Boy Blunder has brought to the team with whatever budget he was given has been pathetic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well I see your point and agree. But I also get that they are dumping into the stadium an are restricting payroll. My biggest problem is that they are tossing away years to flip F/A. It is almost laughable that Dale got upset. Come on this team lacks talent and he doesn't like losing? Well duh this team doesn't score enough to not play perfect. But I digress. Main point is I believe that this team would have been better if they signed Youk vs Feldman, Baker and Stewart. And this will carry over to 2014. If they ignore run production and plug in more fail platoons the result will be the same. Thing is even with Garza they would still be losing. Shoot 2008 they built a team that scored runs and a rotation that kept the team in it. They did very well. Investing heavy into the rotation helps with the play offs more. Lets learn to walk before running. Or let's get to winning ball vs dumping into a play off need. Anyways if they did dump into a starter I would rather get JJ over Garza.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
[/Anyways if they did dump into a starter I would rather get JJ over Garza. QUOTE]

Wouldn't be a bad thing to have both.

Nice to see the Cubs already six games out of first place after three weeks of baseball.

Why hasn't Hoyer been touting the great Feldman signing he took credit for ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Garza and JJ would cost 30 mil per. Again this team is ranked bottom 5 in runs scored and top 10 in runs allowed. The numbers are showing a lack in O. Yes in the every day grind we can blame this reliever or that error. But all of this is because the team is not scoring enough runs and every mis-que is magnified.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Garza and JJ would cost 30 mil per. Again this team is ranked bottom 5 in runs scored and top 10 in runs allowed. The numbers are showing a lack in O. Yes in the every day grind we can blame this reliever or that error. But all of this is because the team is not scoring enough runs and every mis-que is magnified.

We knew there would be no offense before the team hit the field. If you can remember last year, at this time, we were already checking out the guys that were going to hit the F/A market for this year. Now again this year, the same instance.

If cash is going to be spent on offense next offseason.......

Signing Garza to an extension would be a good thing and not so good relying on a Villanueva or Terd Wood to be able to pitch in any big games in a playoff or division chase.

Garza is a power arm with good experience. To let him go is plain stupid, especially for other teams garbage. But some will think that the garbage will be awesome since Boy Blunder has his pathetic signature on it.

Gotta keep the good pitching in tact and sign some bats.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya. What I would do would sign Jacoby and plug him in CF. then sign Youk on a 1 year deal. If Jackson turns the corner then I would replace Schierholtz's half of the RF platoon with him. My long term CF would be Almora and we would guess his eta is 2016. So Jacoby pays off investing there. Soler is in A+. I'm guessing 2015. Gives the RF platoon another year. 2015 LF opens up and Jackson could slot there also. 3B Christian would be in AAA. 1 year to get to him. Rotation wise they have Wood going into arb1. Shark Arb 2. 1 more year on Villenueva. Jackson 4 more years of control. Leaves one slot. They could resign Baker or get Appel and fast track him. Garza would be looking at a deal like Anable got. 78 mil range. Not sure if they will go there to be honest after his recent injuries.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Garza and JJ would cost 30 mil per. Again this team is ranked bottom 5 in runs scored and top 10 in runs allowed.

CFS, you can keep beating the Cubs are top 10 in runs allowed all you want.

But do you really think come the end of the year they will still be top 10 in runs allowed??

I would imagine they will be bottom 10 by the end of the year and the starting rotation still needs to be addressed along with the rest of the roster.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We will know this at the end of the year. That is why I said that this will shake out more by draft time. If they score Appel and fast track him he could solve the rotation issue. On the way these guys are pitching right now. Wood and Villenueva are both over their heads but I'm not knocking them until they come down. Jackson is pitching worse then his avg. Shark has a solid WHIP. ERA is decent. More run support could help his winning %. Feldman I personally hate on the team. I believe it will all balance out in the end. Jackson and Shark get better and Wood and Carlos come back to earth. Over all factor will be the same. Losing due to a lack of run support. You really can not argue the numbers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even with Garza in the rotation. This simple fact doesn't change. Scoring 2 runs and going into extras 2 games in a row means the SP is doing it's job but the O didn't score enough to make the pen a non factor. Shoot if a starter gives up 4 runs it is a loss. Sad really.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
[/Anyways if they did dump into a starter I would rather get JJ over Garza. QUOTE]

Wouldn't be a bad thing to have both.

Nice to see the Cubs already six games out of first place after three weeks of baseball.

Why hasn't Hoyer been touting the great Feldman signing he took credit for ?

Because it's easier to direct the attention towards the bullpen. Takes the heat off of the lack of offense that they failed to sign, and the low risk pitching they did sign.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Because it's easier to direct the attention towards the bullpen. Takes the heat off of the lack of offense that they failed to sign, and the low risk pitching they did sign.

Platoons so far:
3B
L. Valbuena .231/.417/.442 3 HR 8 RBI
C. Ransom 2-4 B. Lillibridge 1-24
I. Stewart 0-0 .083 in Iowa 2-24
J. Vitters 0-0 0-1 in Iowa
C. Villanueva Tenn .224/.297/.343

To be perfectly honest if they pulled a trade for Headley or Olt I would be behind it. 3B is very sketchy going forward.

RF looks better but still Soler is in Daytona. Still not a solution yet. Normal progression puts him on the team in 2016.

CF
B. Jaxx in Iowa .256/.347/.372 No HR's so far. I don't see the improvement. 16 SO/ 4 BB
M. Szczur .297/.365/.432 2 HR and 7 SB. To be honest he is looking like a better MLB prospect then B.Jaxx. 13 SO/ 8 BB

So ya they went cheap at 3B/RF.

Next year they have a option on DeJesus in CF. RF Schierholtz is a F/A and he maybe looking at a pay hike if he keeps this up. System wise it falls on B.Jaxx to cover 1 spot. Rest are filler on MiL deals.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Platoons so far:
3B
L. Valbuena .231/.417/.442 3 HR 8 RBI
C. Ransom 2-4 B. Lillibridge 1-24
I. Stewart 0-0 .083 in Iowa 2-24
J. Vitters 0-0 0-1 in Iowa
C. Villanueva Tenn .224/.297/.343

To be perfectly honest if they pulled a trade for Headley or Olt I would be behind it. 3B is very sketchy going forward.

RF looks better but still Soler is in Daytona. Still not a solution yet. Normal progression puts him on the team in 2016.

CF
B. Jaxx in Iowa .256/.347/.372 No HR's so far. I don't see the improvement. 16 SO/ 4 BB
M. Szczur .297/.365/.432 2 HR and 7 SB. To be honest he is looking like a better MLB prospect then B.Jaxx. 13 SO/ 8 BB

So ya they went cheap at 3B/RF.

Next year they have a option on DeJesus in CF. RF Schierholtz is a F/A and he maybe looking at a pay hike if he keeps this up. System wise it falls on B.Jaxx to cover 1 spot. Rest are filler on MiL deals.

Schierholtz has a year of arbitration eligibility left after this year.