Maybe Timing is to Blame

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
It was a total team collapse. No doubt. I'm disgusted with all of it. But Trubisky was utter trash after the first two drives. I'm sorry you can't see that.

We just had one of the biggest choke jobs imaginable and a huge swath of you are looking at shit w rose colored glasses. Carry on.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I actually think the fact that so many people are going crazy is because 1. We are passionate fans of a team that has been bad for a long time 2. They have had arguably the best offseason in a long time according to many writers, coaches, players etc 3. We should have won that game without question as they were the better team for 90% of the game. They lost on three explosive long plays near the end of the game and that can’t happen.

I personally think there has been far too much complaining about Nagy and Trubisky. Now, their play and coaching most certainly deserve questioning but they didn’t lose the game, the defense lost the game and I mean the secondary lost the game on about 5-7 plays and that’s got to be extremely frustrating!!!!

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We just had one of the biggest choke jobs imaginable and a huge swath of you are looking at shit w rose colored glasses. Carry on.

How is it rose-colored glasses to want to hold everyone accountable for that loss, rather than trying to lay that defeat at the feet of Mitch Trubisky?

Should Fuller get a pass for dropping that INT? Should Dion Sims get a pass for sucking? Should Matt Nagy get a pass for shitty playcalling, and for not playing starters in the preseason? Should Fangio get a pass for not adjusting his playcalling to the quick throws that McCarthy started calling? Should Kwiatkoski get a pass for getting exposed? Who let Randall Cobb score that 75 yard TD? Was it Mitch?

That's the issue I have. If all you can do is blame 1 person for that loss then you're letting SEVERAL others that are just as much to blame off the hook and not holding them accountable. It's something different if people are refusing to let any of the blame go to Mitch. I haven't seen a lot of that.

But Aaron Rodgers throws 3 TDs in the 4th quarter, and the best thing you can come up with is... "Trubisky was utter trash after the first two drives"

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
When I read the post title, I thought you were stating the other obvious timing issues. Specifically how long it took to get plays going, snapping with 2-3s on the play clock! Finally the other timing problem, is the stinkin' routes that don't work because the ball is snapped off-target or above Biscuit's head. That was infuriating. Once every two games, okay. But I feel like I saw nearly 9-10 times where the ball clearly wasn't headed to Mitch's mid-section / outstretched hands.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
After calming down a bit and rewatching the game I feel a lot better. Well, a little better anyway. I think the timing was good for the defensive line and outside backers. They looked ready (even Mack). The linebackers looked slow, Kwiatkoski especially. Smith not being ready was definitely a factor. He (Smith) needs to get up to game speed asap.The secondary looked lost, sub standard in tackling and coverage. The lack of preseason snaps for that unit definitely showed. Overall I think the defense played as well as they could against one of the best QBs in the game.

On the other side of the ball several questions surfaced. Surely Whitehair and Trubisky practiced snaps. That is something that needs to be locked down before the season starts. In the first half Trubisky looked like a NFL QB, in the second he looked like he did last year - afraid to lose. I can partially understand, the team was probably as shocked as we were. But we don't get millions to watch. The receivers looked good, those that were given a chance. Speaking of chances, Howard should have had more. He looks to be in mid season form already.

Coach Nagy went bizarre in his play calling. He needs to have more confidence in both the teams and his ability. Fangio also screwed the pooch a bit in the second half. When GB went to a quick timing game trying to get the ball out of Rodgers hands Fangio didn't seem to adjust.

Bottom line all the problems can be minimized with practice and more play. As the coaches learn more about the players and vice versa games should look better. So I feel a lot better than I did. I still don't think the playoffs are a possibility, maybe 8-8 is, but for the first time in years I am looking forward to the season. Another collapse like Sunday however and I am back to being a bitter old man.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
I said it was a total team collapse, dude. My post wasn't long winded...

Just Bc I acknowledge that Trubisky is trash doesn't preclude me from also acknowledging Fuller dropped an INT, etc. it was a trash ass collapse of epic proportions.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Fitzy was always a gamer. Most underrated and aggresive game manager ever.

i remember when he lit us up years ago and it was the first time i had heard of him. i was like, man this guy can play. his career never really took off because he cant do it consistently as a starter needs to, but he does have talent.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Allen Robinson, Roquan Smith and Khalil Mack are only to become more impactful as the season goes on and they all find their feet a little more. Both were non-factors in the 2nd half, likely to do with A-Rob's 1st game back from ACL recon and Mack's first week of being with a team.

The fact that we have definitely not seen the best from those 3 guys yet is pretty exciting. A lot of Bears capital is in those 3 players - (3 1st round picks and 200 million dollars) that haven't played up to their potential.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It was the worst possible time for the Bears to go on the road and play the Packers.

Like getting called up from AAA and your first at bat is against Max Scherzer, I would prefer if it was against any member of the Cubs bullpen please.

And yet they could easily have won if the coaches didn't have their heads up their asses. As for Mitch, you can tell when he's tight. He has the ability to drop balls into buckets and those balls all had too much juice. He was always going to be a boom or bust type pick. His skill set if off the charts but we don't know if he can process at this level. Pace drafted him because he saw the work habits and commitment to learn which helped to minimize the risk. Now we just have to wait and see if it ever slows down for him.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Maybe Timing is To Blame

Maybe, maybe not or maybe partially true.

-This was the first game of the season, it was on the road, under the bright lights of primetime. Most teams are not at their best week 1, especially those that take the pre-season off, which Nagy should rightfully take some shit for. The Bears did not get to open the season with the Bills, Cardinals, or the Browns, they had to open against a team that most media outlets are picking for the Super Bowl. They had to play the GOAT QB.

Agree with all this. Unlike some here, I am glad for it as it kind of holds out hope. If this happened against the Browns this would be even worse. Imagine the difference between Steelers fans and us. They don't have a new coach, new QB, key players coming off zero preseason and practice, etc. They shit the bed just as hard as we did only CLE has no Rodgers.

-3 of their best players were not where near game shape. Mack, Robinson, and Roquan were all not at peak game shape for obvious reasons and that hurts them. Would the game have been different if Kwiatwoski had not gotten dominated when he was on the field? If Mack had anything in the tank for the 4th quarter? If Robinson had his burst late in the game? These 3 players should all get better and better as they round into shape and week 1 of the season we were not going to see their best.

I don't see how any speculation here matters. Maybe it is different but maybe it isn't. Maybe it gets better in 4th if ARob was fresher but the 1st isn't as great., Maybe Rodgers still comes back for the W and that makes it all the worse. The correct context here is that going forward, we will have a better hand and on that point, you are right.

-1st ever game HC game for Matt Nagy and he made some mistakes that hurt the team. I am sure he will not be as cute or conservative after being both of those things hurt his team. He needs to find out what works for this team and what works against specific opponents. That only happens with time on the sideline and experience against other coordinators. Nagy coached the 2nd half like a guy who had never coached against Aaron Rodgers before and those mistakes killed the Bears down the stretch. That is only something that can be remedied with experience. Now Nagy has the same experience as the rest of us have of having our soul ripped out by Rodgers.

Bolded is not a given and remains to be seen. I know you know, Windy, but I think you also know that optimists like your lack of qualifying information and you are good with statements like this for their thanks.

-1st game for Trubisky in a new system. He has a high school diploma in this offense, which has been described as one of the more complex in the NFL, and I choose to assume by the bye week he may have a bachelor of offense and hopefully by the end of the season he has a masters in offense and we can look at a PHD in 2019. Trubisky was over thinking everything and not anticipating anything, because he has little to no experience running this stuff. Recognition and trust come with time. The scripted plays that I am sure they practiced more than any others looked great. I assume we will see more of this moving forward, the scripted plays he knows really well will look good. because he knows them.

Choosing to assume is fine. That also extends to the fact that recognition and trust will come with time. It may and I truly hope it does, but I have no faith or ability to choose to assume it like you do. I just can't. I try sometimes and I literally ... can not. Kinda why I roll with "haters" (99.9% of the time unfairly branded so imo), because imo they simply need evidence before believing like I do.

-I have a feeling we will see a much different game, maybe not result, against the Packers the next time the Bears play them. The timing will be better for a team that has so many new parts and systems.

I want to see a different game this Sunday, screw the timing factor, and imo it can help with context but cannot be used as an excuse for anyone. I am unsure if you are trying to excuse them or not, Windy. But I will disagree heartily with anyone who tries to.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe, maybe not or maybe partially true.

Agree with all this. Unlike some here, I am glad for it as it kind of holds out hope. If this happened against the Browns this would be even worse. Imagine the difference between Steelers fans and us. They don't have a new coach, new QB, key players coming off zero preseason and practice, etc. They shit the bed just as hard as we did only CLE has no Rodgers.

I don't see how any speculation here matters. Maybe it is different but maybe it isn't. Maybe it gets better in 4th if ARob was fresher but the 1st isn't as great., Maybe Rodgers still comes back for the W and that makes it all the worse. The correct context here is that going forward, we will have a better hand and on that point, you are right.

Bolded is not a given and remains to be seen. I know you know, Windy, but I think you also know that optimists like your lack of qualifying information and you are good with statements like this for their thanks.

Choosing to assume is fine. That also extends to the fact that recognition and trust will come with time. It may and I truly hope it does, but I have no faith or ability to choose to assume it like you do. I just can't. I try sometimes and I literally ... can not. Kinda why I roll with "haters" (99.9% of the time unfairly branded so imo), because imo they simply need evidence before believing like I do.

I want to see a different game this Sunday, screw the timing factor, and imo it can help with context but cannot be used as an excuse for anyone. I am unsure if you are trying to excuse them or not, Windy. But I will disagree heartily with anyone who tries to.

They blew it, there is not really and excuse for how they lost.

But there were a number of contextual factors that make some of the struggles a little less dire.

I am assuming that Nagy will improve and learn and that Trubisky will improve and learn. I think based on what we know of how hard they work and how respected Nagy was by Ried that he is not going to make idiotic mistakes over and over.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I blame our DC not adjusting to GB's quick passing game adjustment. McCarthy out coached Fangio.

I blame Fuller (and the secondary) for not being able to make a big play like other big boys. Our secondary really lacks big play capabilities. Prince saying he's going to get 10 picks is laughable. The whole secondary combined will not get 10 picks.

Our D simply choked away the game.

Nagy scares me as a play caller. Can we have Pederson's play calling please.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They blew it, there is not really and excuse for how they lost.

But there were a number of contextual factors that make some of the struggles a little less dire.

I am assuming that Nagy will improve and learn and that Trubisky will improve and learn. I think based on what we know of how hard they work and how respected Nagy was by Ried that he is not going to make idiotic mistakes over and over.

Hard work means jack shit imo. And the opinion of Reid means even less. I am sure Belichick vouched for Crennell etc. and I know for a fact that failed coaches worked their ass off trying to become the next great coach. It's not enough to not repeat the same mistake over and over but not being outcoached into a box where you can't help but repeat same mistake or be put into a position that introduces new mistakes.

Insert obligatory "not making claims about Nagy yet" but pointing out that it is premature to make assumptions based on specious evidence such as a) they work hard and b) Reid talked him up before he was hired.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Having re-watched the game I can say that I did not come away as concerned with Mitchell Trubisky's performance as I did watching it in real time.

What was concerning was the number of pre-snap issues that the Bears had that can contribute to poor execution after the snap. I looked at the number of times the play clock got below 5 and the number of snaps that were collar or above on Trubisky.

Both of these are pre-throw issues that need to be cleaned up.

1st Quarter

Play Clock: 7
High Snap: 1

2nd Quarter

Play Clock: 3

*Play clock issues in the 1st quarter of the 1st game are some what forgivable, less so when you sit the preseason.

3rd Quarter

Play Clock: 6
High Snap: 2

4th Quarter

Play Clock: 13
High Snap: 10

*Things got progressively worse pre-Trubisky as the game went on.
*The 4th quarter was a mess in terms of getting the ball in Trubisky's hands cleanly and not rushed
*This throws off timing and vision
*This causes the QB to rush as they are fighting the play clock

-4th Quarter FG Drive had 7 play clock issues and 7 high snaps, including one that killed the play-this was despite the Packers taking all their TO.

-2 minute drill had 5 low play clock situations and 2 high snaps one of which was on the last play of the game

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I blame our DC not adjusting to GB's quick passing game adjustment. McCarthy out coached Fangio.

I blame Fuller (and the secondary) for not being able to make a big play like other big boys. Our secondary really lacks big play capabilities. Prince saying he's going to get 10 picks is laughable. The whole secondary will not get 10 picks.

Our D simply choked away the game.

Nagy scares me as a play caller. Can we have Pederson's play calling please.

Live in Philly area. Good news is: fans here were calling for his head the first year. He had a couple games they should have won where he did boneheaded clock management/ questionable playcalling for the down and situation. He obviously grew and got better.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Having re-watched the game I can say that I did not come away as concerned with Mitchell Trubisky's performance as I did watching it in real time.

What was concerning was the number of pre-snap issues that the Bears had that can contribute to poor execution after the snap. I looked at the number of times the play clock got below 5 and the number of snaps that were collar or above on Trubisky.

Both of these are pre-throw issues that need to be cleaned up.

1st Quarter

Play Clock: 7

2nd Quarter

Play Clock: 3

*Play clock issues in the 1st quarter of the 1st game are some what forgivable, less so when you sit the preseason.

3rd Quarter

Play Clock: 6
High Snap: 2

4th Quarter

Play Clock: 13
High Snap: 10

*Things got progressively worse pre-Trubisky as the game went on.
*The 4th quarter was a mess in terms of getting the ball in Trubisky's hands cleanly and not rushed
*This throws off timing and vision
*This causes the QB to rush as they are fighting the play clock

-4th Quarter FG Drive had 7 play clock issues and 7 high snaps, including one that killed the play-this was despite the Packers taking all their TO.

-2 minute drill had 5 low play clock situations and 2 high snaps one of which was on the last play of the game

How could that lessen your concern over Trubisky? Doesn't that presuppose Nagy was completely or even partially to blame for the pre-snap issues in later quarters? What if the limiting factor was Trubisky's knowledge and awareness of the plays he really wanted to call but was unable to?

It seems strange to separate his potential lack of playcall knowledge and awareness from his performance? I must be missing something?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
#2 pick in the draft, traded up for him, and passed on two other QBs.

While some will say the timing of this game is to blame (which - wow), how about shrinking in the spotlight. Maybe Mitch has it, maybe he doesn't - but this could have been his coming out party to the NFL, and he failed.

How there could possibly be any excuses made for him is just astonishing.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
How could that lessen your concern over Trubisky? Doesn't that presuppose Nagy was completely or even partially to blame for the pre-snap issues in later quarters? What if the limiting factor was Trubisky's knowledge and awareness of the plays he really wanted to call but was unable to?

It seems strange to separate his potential lack of playcall knowledge and awareness from his performance? I must be missing something?

Yes, Nagy is calling the plays and takeing forever to get them in and Cody cant snap a ball anymore.