McCown to Tampa....

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
A life time of finacial security for Josh?

Good for him, I dont blame him for leaving at all!

Yeah, good for him. At that price I don't blame him, either.

I just can't figure out how his price got quite that high, I thought it might cap out at 3m or so, not 5.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
Putting up big numbers in a close game and putting up big numbers in a shoot out where your team needs you to score isn't stat padding. Stat padding is throwing for touchdowns against prevent defenses late in a blowout loss that have no impact on the game.

Cuter did not outscore McCown in either game. Teams score points, not quarterbacks.

Cutler was abysmal against the Vikings, throwing 2 interceptions and losing a fumble that was returned for a touchdown. He was bailed out by a defense that only allowed one touchdown and had an interception return for a touchdown, and a kick returner who returned two kickoffs inside Vikings territory, including one to the 20. McCown had two touchdowns, no turnovers, and over 300 yards against the Vikings. He had far and away the better game, the difference was McCown did not have a healthy defense to carry the team.

Against the Packers they had similar numbers with McCown's being slightly better, and the Bears offense scored one more point against the Packers with Cutler than McCown. That was more or less a wash with both quarterbacks playing extremely well against the Packers.

What good game against one of the better defenses? The Bengals?

You don't know what "stat padding" means. Cutler shit the bed with the game on the line against the Lions, only to throw two garbage touchdowns in the 4th quarter down 24 against prevent defense.
Garbage TDs? Josh's biggest game was not a shoot out, 45-28 we call that a blowout... If that was Belichik coaching people would go all apeshit because they were running up the score...

You say that you need to "Score when your team needs you to" and later you say, and I quote: "teams score points not quarterbacks"

No not the bengals, the Saints. 4th best scoring D in the league... And while we lost the game and only put up 18 points completing 73% of his passes for 358 yards with 2 TDs and no INTs I think he did his part. All garbage right?

While he did score 2 TDs against the Lions that game hardly padded his stats as he threw 3 INTs in that game, the same interceptions you use to make your point that he wasn't playing well under Trest. You don't want to count those garbage TDs then take that whole game out and his stats improve... You can't just choose to count the interceptions and conveniently disregard the TDs....

cobbland

Liked Posts:
Lovie tried to get McCown to come to Chicago in 2010.

Bucs sign Josh McCown, release Darrelle Revis
Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:59pm

AP_NY185_BUCCANEERS_FREE_AG_12753618_8col.jpg

Bucs coach Lovie Smith made it clear Wednesday afternoon that veteran Josh McCown, who played for him in Chicago and has signed to a two-year, $10-million contract with the Bucs, is now his starting quarterback for 2014. AP photo

c4s_team031314_12755234_8col.jpg

From near right, Michael Johnson, Alterraun Verner, Clinton McDonald and Brandon Myers are introduced. The Bucs continue to consider adding to their revamped roster. JOSEPH GARNETT JR. | Times

c4s_revismug031314_12755723_8col.jpg

TAMPA — It seems like Lovie Smith is always asking Josh McCown if he will play quarterback for him. Smith did it again Wednesday, and the free agent signed with the Bucs, knowing the starting job is his to lose when training camp starts in July.

The first request came during training camp in 2010 when Bears backup Caleb Hanie suffered a shoulder injury in the first preseason game. McCown, who was playing for the Hartford Colonials of the United Football League at the time, amazingly turned Smith's offer down.

"I called Josh," said Smith, then the Bears' coach. "Being the man that he is — and I said, 'Hey, Josh, I want you to come (to Chicago).' He had promised his team (Hartford) in the other league (the UFL). He said, 'Lovie, I would really like to come, and it would be a quarterback's dream to be in the NFL, but I gave the coach my word that I would stay here this year.'

"We went to the NFC Championship Game that year. That's what he turned down. When you start looking at the character of the man and what you are dealing with, it started then.''

The next year, McCown was coaching quarterbacks at Marvin Ridge High School in Charlotte, N.C., when he accepted an invitation from Smith to be the Bears' backup to Jay Cutler. "When I had the chance to get with him again, I had I different perspective of him, and it just worked," Smith said. "I think we all end up where we are supposed to be."

On Wednesday, Smith used his persuasive powers on McCown again, this time convincing him to come to Tampa Bay as the Bucs' starting quarterback.

McCown, 34, signed a two-year, $10 million contract that could be worth as much as $15 million with incentives, and he knows he has the inside track to the starting job.

Mike Glennon, who went 4-9 as a rookie with 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions last season, would have to do something extraordinary to win the job.

"There has to be a starting spot, a starting point, a starting person to go out there first. And that would be Josh," Smith said.

"I told Josh, 'You knew for a fact, even though I couldn't talk to you, that when I got a job, I would call you.' And he did. You have to believe in your quarterback like that. We got our guy."

However, Smith made it clear that McCown's signing will not prevent the Bucs from taking a quarterback in the draft with the team's No. 7 overall pick.

"Free agency just puts us in better position for the draft," Smith said. "That's all it's doing. We're not held hostage."

The day began with a news conference to introduce four free agents who will play significant roles for the Bucs in 2014 — Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson, Titans Pro Bowl cornerback Alterraun Verner, Seahawks defensive tackle Clinton McDonald and Giants tight end Brandon Myers.

It was postponed for 90 minutes to accommodate the signing of McCown, who is scheduled to be introduced in a news conference at 2 today.

Just prior to the proceedings, the Bucs, as expected, announced the release of cornerback Darrelle Revis, sending shock waves through the NFL.

Unable to trade Revis because he would not restructure his $16 million contract, the team felt it had no other option.

With so many needs to address coming off a 4-12 record and only five selections in the draft, the Bucs avoided having to pay Revis a $1.5 million bonus and having to send the Jets a third-round pick in 2014 to complete last year's trade with the Jets. Instead, New York will receive a fourth-round selection.

"You saw these four guys here," general manager Jason Licht said. "You saw the transaction, adding the quarterback. And we're not done yet. We would've have been able to do that if that certain transaction hadn't happened."

On Wednesday night, the Bucs were believed to be on the verge of reaching a deal with Bengals offensive tackle Anthony Collins.

They also were visited by Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, Panthers receiver Ted Ginn, Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith and Patriots linebacker Dane Fletcher.

But nothing sets the template for a franchise like a starting quarterback and McCown never expected to find himself in this position after bouncing around to six teams.

Last season he had a career year, playing in eight games, with three wins in five starts filling in for injured starter Cutler. McCown ranked third in the league with a passer rating of 109.0.

More importantly, the Bears referred to him as the "glue'' to their locker room.

"It's a new year,'' Smith said. "We have a long way to go, but we'll start it together."

Bucs' projected depth chart

Offense

LT Donald Penn

LG Jamon Meredith

C Jeremy Zuttah

RG Carl Nicks

RT Demar Dotson

WR Vincent Jackson

WR Mike Wlliams

TE Brandon Myers

QB Josh McCown

RB Doug Martin

RB Mike James

Defense

RDE Michael Johnson

DT Gerald McCoy

NT Clinton McDonald

LDE Adrian Clayborn

WLB Lavonte David

MLB Mason Foster

SSLB Jonathan Casillas

RCB Jonathan Banks

LCB Alterraun Verner

SS Mark Barron

FS Dashon Goldson

Special teams

K Connor Barth

P Michael Koenen

KR Eric Page

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/bucs-move-forward-with-mccown-as-quarterback/2169906

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
This forum is sure to entertain after next season's tampa game.

Daa Bearrs

Liked Posts:
I'm not about to read 15 pages of what is most likely a couple of assholes cunting back and forth, but I do want to say good for Josh. He's earned it.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Lovie is a great person but a barely capable game coach and a poor evaluator of talent. If he pads his roster with old Bear players he's going to end up with players who are older than when they were any good here and get worse results than he used to. And he won't be getting a second contract in TB. The glory days are best left to videos on NFL Network.

Can't see McCown having anywhere near the success as a starter that he had as a part timer with the Bears.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, good for him. At that price I don't blame him, either.

I just can't figure out how his price got quite that high, I thought it might cap out at 3m or so, not 5.

I think that he will win the starting job pretty quickly over there. Good for him. It will be interesting how he does in LOVIE's SYSTEM:)

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
After hearing the 3-11 Podcast of Bernstein and Boers crapping on Josh I now hope he has an amazing year.

Last edited: