McShay: Bears trade up to #12?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
It is pretty crazy when you look at the statistical likelihoods.

It’s likely that Wentz is much better than Jones will ever be. It’s likely that Mac Jones will never throw for 4,000 yards or have a 3-1 TD-to-INT ratio, just because of what this league does to young quarterbacks, and how coaches trot them out into the churn way too early.

Yet, we have some people who want to give up picks for Jones while saying “Lol, dude sucks” about Wentz.

I'm not for trading up for Jones, but the NFL is all about what have you done for me lately. Wentz had a terrible year last season averaging 1 TD: 1 INT. Even Trubs averaged 2 TD: 1 INT. He may have done well in the past, but he has gone through a number of injuries. On top of that, unless there is some restructuring to his contract, we would be taking 20-25 mil cap hit.

Jones on the other hand would be playing on a rookie contract and we could use the cap space elsewhere.

In either scenario we use our 1st rd pick to get either player. This is where I'm against moving up to #12, because I dont want to give up a valuable draft pick to help whoever we have at QB

Roary

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You would get lucky to get Mac Jones...love his game

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I also don’t get why people don’t like Jones. Not a rocket arm, but strong enough. Won’t win a foot race, but is able to move/slide in the pocket to avoid pressure at a high level. Accurate as all hell at every level of the field. Elite anticipation instincts and skilled at diagnosing coverages. He is literally the opposite of Mitch.

Watch the Pats draft him and he lights it up. Then see how most people here who didn’t like him call the Bears FO morons for not drafting him when they could.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Begging to get Foles was a huge mistake and it should have cost Nagy his job. But that has been discussed ad nauseum.

I would feel much more comfortable with Trubisky on his 5th year option next season.
Yea I don't get it either - Fking Nagy benched Tribusky and the offense was actually worse with Foles in there - whom he wanted - And the better Olinemen; Nagy had sitting on the Bench and practice squad for the beginning of the season-

Any Vet QB would be stupid to come here and play under Dope Smoken Nagy - after he basically blamed everything on Tribusky (whom won the first 2 games) and damn near mamed Foles. Who also called Nagy out for his offense in the press- Everything changed when Lazor stepped in.

The only QB this team will get is in the draft; other than cut fringe players, - Jones looks ok to me, but he had better learn to run for his life until the next coach comes in with a legit offense and a good eye for good football players.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And take Mac Jones? Is anybody here sold on jones being more than a career back up or middle of the road starter? This is one guy i have absolutely no read on. I cant tell if hes Joe Burrow or Tim Couch. Thoughts?
I don't want him at #20, or with a trade DOWN. I sure as shit don't think he's worth trading UP for.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I also don’t get why people don’t like Jones. Not a rocket arm, but strong enough. Won’t win a foot race, but is able to move/slide in the pocket to avoid pressure at a high level. Accurate as all hell at every level of the field. Elite anticipation instincts and skilled at diagnosing coverages. He is literally the opposite of Mitch.

Watch the Pats draft him and he lights it up. Then see how most people here who didn’t like him call the Bears FO morons for not drafting him when they could.
It kills me how many people live in fear of players excelling somewhere else.

Let Belichik have him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why don’t people like Mac Jones? I think after some coaching (3 head coaches and 5 offensive coordinators) he can be a pretty solid player.
"After coaching" his ceiling is "solid player", but you want to trade up to get him at #12 and spend more draft capital?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm not for trading up for Jones, but the NFL is all about what have you done for me lately. Wentz had a terrible year last season averaging 1 TD: 1 INT. Even Trubs averaged 2 TD: 1 INT. He may have done well in the past, but he has gone through a number of injuries. On top of that, unless there is some restructuring to his contract, we would be taking 20-25 mil cap hit.

Jones on the other hand would be playing on a rookie contract and we could use the cap space elsewhere.

In either scenario we use our 1st rd pick to get either player. This is where I'm against moving up to #12, because I dont want to give up a valuable draft pick to help whoever we have at QB
I would take Carson Wentz any day over Mac Jones' best day.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea I don't get it either - Fking Nagy benched Tribusky and the offense was actually worse with Foles in there - whom he wanted - And the better Olinemen; Nagy had sitting on the Bench and practice squad for the beginning of the season-

Any Vet QB would be stupid to come here and play under Dope Smoken Nagy - after he basically blamed everything on Tribusky (whom won the first 2 games) and damn near mamed Foles. Who also called Nagy out for his offense in the press- Everything changed when Lazor stepped in.

The only QB this team will get is in the draft; other than cut fringe players, - Jones looks ok to me, but he had better learn to run for his life until the next coach comes in with a legit offense and a good eye for good football players.

Trubisky played against trash teams. We saw what happens when he played good teams. At least Foles beat a winning team

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
It kills me how many people live in fear of players excelling somewhere else.

Let Belichik have him.
It’s not living in fear of anything. It’s a desire that the player actually excels in CHI.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It’s not living in fear of anything. It’s a desire that the player actually excels in CHI.
I was responding to the "watch the Ptriots get him and he'll be great" comment (paraphrasing a bit).

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I would take Carson Wentz any day over Mac Jones' best day.

Ok, but my point is, is he worth 20 mil more a year? Mac Jones would be getting 4 mil a year or so on a rookie contract, while Wentz woukd be getting 20-25 mil.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to give Wentz a shot, but the value isn't good enough for me to put him head and shoulders ababove mid 1st rd rookie

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I was responding to the "watch the Ptriots get him and he'll be great" comment (paraphrasing a bit).
I guess my overall point was an ability to scramble is actually pretty far down the list of necessary characteristics for a QB, IMO. Maneuvering the pocket, accuracy and diagnosing defenses is far more important. Brady, Manning, etc are examples of this (no, I am NOT saying Jones will ever reach near their level). What I am saying is that Jones has those traits in spades. Why not draft him? The Bears should be drafting a QB early every damn year until the position is settled, or else it won’t matter how many mid-round ‘gems’ Pace finds at other positions.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I guess my overall point was an ability to scramble is actually pretty far down the list of necessary characteristics for a QB, IMO. Maneuvering the pocket, accuracy and diagnosing defenses is far more important. Brady, Manning, etc are examples of this (no, I am NOT saying Jones will ever reach near their level). What I am saying is that Jones has those traits in spades. Why not draft him? The Bears should be drafting a QB early every damn year until the position is settled, or else it won’t matter how many mid-round ‘gems’ Pace finds at other positions.
Drafting a QB not worthy of a mid first round pick just because you haven't solved the position won't solve the position.

I just don't think he's worth a trade up. I just don't think he's likely to be a an above average NFL starter.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky played against trash teams. We saw what happens when he played good teams. At least Foles beat a winning team

I know you keep running around the board and claiming that it is the only fact that matters - Except it still doesn't exonerate Nagy

- He was there for both of QB's the first 2 games Tribusky sputtered (even though we won) and the next 7 with Foles we sputtered

Nagy still had the better O-linemen on the sideline half the season+ and still didn't start making plays run/pass until Lazor took over-

Nagy was hired to be an offensive genius - and the offense has looked like ass for 2 seasons Run and Pass-

Montgomery looked pretty decent when Lazor took over also- don't think that was just opponents

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Drafting a QB not worthy of a mid first round pick just because you haven't solved the position won't solve the position.

I just don't think he's worth a trade up. I just don't think he's likely to be a an above average NFL starter.
Respect your opinion. Agree to disagree.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2021 1st round pick (#20) + 2021 2nd round pick (#52) for Jones

OR

2022 1st round pick for Wentz?

For me it’s a toss up.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Why is that? Mac Jones could be the next big QB to come out of a draft. We already know what Carson Wentz is and it’s nothing impressive.

False. Carson Wentz has had entire seasons of 3-1 TD-to-INT ratios. He had a 4,000 yard season **after** tearing his ACL. He has 97 touchdowns and 35 interceptions since 2017, even counting the bad 2020 season. Included in there is a 3-year sample (2017-19) of 81 TDs and 21 INTs. That's pretty darn impressive.

Hey, look, maybe Wentz will suck. Maybe what he showed in 2020 is who he is now. Or maybe he still has 2019 Carson Wentz in him, or 2018 Carson Wentz in him, or 2017 Carson Wentz in him. But for people to just blanket-dismiss him seems foolish.