Mel Tucker's status with Bears up in the air (ESPN)

jcl2399

Liked Posts:
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman offered no definitive statement on the future of embattled defensive coordinator Mel Tucker, but Trestman praised the way Tucker handled the injury-riddled defense on multiple occasions during Thursday’s 90 minute joint news conference with team general manager Phil Emery.

However, Trestman said a direct conversation between himself and Tucker still needs to take place before he can comment on the status of his coaching staff.

“I don’t want anybody to read into anything that we are doing,” Trestman said. “Everything is on the table. We’re going through a very thoughtful and methodical process here. Other than that, we’ve talked enough at these press conferences that I’m hopeful you won’t [draw conclusions on the staff]. We’re going to look at everything because we have an obligation to do that and what I can do to get this football team better.

"Everything is on the table. Again, we’re just three days into this. All we’ve done is looked at some tape. This is a process that’s going to involve not just myself, but all of our coaches. It’ll be a process where we’ve left everything on the table.”

The Bears finished 2013 ranked No. 30 in total defense and dead last in rushing defense and yards allowed per play. The defense was also tied for 30th in points allowed and ranked 26th in sacks per pass play.

But the group did suffer key injuries to: cornerback Charles Tillman, linebacker Lance Briggs, defensive tackles Henry Melton and Nate Collins, middle linebacker D.J. Williams, nickel back Kelvin Hayden and defensive lineman Turk McBride. Veteran defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis also opted to retire on the eve of training camp, further depleting the Bears’ depth on the defensive line.

When relatively healthy, the Bears' defense put up respectable numbers over the first three games of the regular season, but their performance sharply regressed as the year wore on.

“I think it’s a real shame that Mel got the raw end of the deal,” Bears cornerback Tim Jennings said.

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said on ESPN 1000’s “The Jay Cutler Show” on Monday that he believes Tucker will be the team’s defensive coordinator until “he lands a head coaching job” either in the NFL or college ranks.

Trestman said he and Emery work together when shaping the coaching staff, but Emery clarified that Trestman has final say on the matter.

Rise

Liked Posts:
great, now we get to read 100 articles all "reading between the lines" of the presser.

Well Trestman could have squashed any doubt by saying he would be the coach next year, or even by saying I want him back if he wants to be back. He chose not to do that because he has not made that decision yet, so naturally speculation will evolve.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
I'll speculate: Maybe who they want for d.c is on a playoff team? :thinking:

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
The Bears should waffle around trying to make a decision for several more weeks, by which time the top DC's will be gone.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The Bears should waffle around trying to make a decision for several more weeks, by which time the top DC's will be gone.

No I think what they are doing is privately looking for an upgrade before letting Tucker go. If they can't land who they want he stays. Much better approach then a hasty firing and then rejection which results in a drawn out search and looking like clowns.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
No I think what they are doing is privately looking for an upgrade before letting Tucker go. If they can't land who they want he stays. Much better approach then a hasty firing and then rejection which results in a drawn out search and looking like clowns.

This would be the smart thing, and I hope is what is happening behind the scenes.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Trestman could have squashed any doubt by saying he would be the coach next year, or even by saying I want him back if he wants to be back. He chose not to do that because he has not made that decision yet, so naturally speculation will evolve.

Its true. But it could just be Trestman's style. I mean, has he really ever come out and said, "yeah we are committed to keeping that guy" about anyone? Seems like he always plays it vague no matter who hes talking about.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Its true. But it could just be Trestman's style. I mean, has he really ever come out and said, "yeah we are committed to keeping that guy" about anyone? Seems like he always plays it vague no matter who hes talking about.

True but I mean he has to know the speculation is out there, in this case you squash it if he is your guy. I remember last year at his opening presser he talked about his concern for the coaches who were about to be fired. I think he was trying to use this presser to help Tucker in a positive way in case he does let him go. The reporter caught him off guard with the direct yes or no.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

This organization has never looked like clowns!!!!

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This is the only thing that makes me think it's still possible Tucker is gone, is that Emery or Trestman didn't specifically say, Yes Tucker is going to be here next year. It really does still seem to be up in the air.

Blap

Liked Posts:
Well either way the defense cant get any worse really. Seems a rush to run a guy out after only one year though.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Well either way the defense cant get any worse really. Seems a rush to run a guy out after only one year though.

The fact that the defense could not get any worse is not a reason to keep Mel Tucker. It's actually the reason he should be run out.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Why does it seem like a rush to run out a guy after another failed year at controlling a defense? Its not like he has had good defenses in the past and this was an off year, Tucker has failed throughout his career.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I've said it before, my problem with Tucker is the lack of discipline the defense showed. I really didn't see him putting our players in the best position to succeed. Too much blitzing and gambling with a group that would have been better served playing a more conservative style. Poor technique and tackling seemed to be our trademark. I realize we had tons of injuries and that killed us. You can't magically make backups into all stars, but we should have been able to field an average level defense I'm pretty we have decent talent behind the guys that went down. I think a different coach could have got that out of our defense.

3rd and Long

Liked Posts:
Would another DC have done better or worse? Is it even possible to do worst? If it was indeed rock bottom, is that acceptable?

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
Honestly i think turner is a better coach than his results have shown.
Probably the worst DC ever. Maybe he is on the wrong side of the ball. Honestly i trust trestman and if he sees something in him than so can i, because this is the bears offense in sometime and i can see the value in a cohesive coaching staff.
Maybe tucker can take decamillas job or something. As much as the lions get flack we were as undisciplined as they were in penalties. just not as bad.

Tucker probably wouldnt even take the job. Too good.