Member all those dominant Roquan performances

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
But then you are looking at maybe having to pay Jaylon Johnson and Darnell Mooney next off-season. Plus there is a long-term need at edge rusher (Robert Quinn is old), left tackle, wide receiver and potentially quarterback. Maybe Braxton Jones works out and is great, still that's only one of the four settled. Roquan Smith might not hurt you in the 2023 off-season, but come 2024 Ryan Poles might be wishing he had twenty million or so bucks freed up to pursue something more impactfull
You can still afford to pay Smith, Mooney and Johnson. Like Poles has mentioned several times, he wants to build through the draft. Next year he will have an opportunity to draft a good pass rusher, OL, WR or whatever he wants. He will probably be able to draft good players at multiple positions. Maybe he wants that chunk of money to go towards re-singing current players and not towards big name FAs.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Must be into double figures right? That’s what it’s all about after all
If Roquan Smith were Luke Kuechly or Navorro Bowman (pre-knee annhilation) I'd be all over it. Twenty-five million a year, fuck it if he wants thirty let's do it. Send another motherfucker to Canton and ring the bells.

But he ain't, so its kind of a moot discussion. Joe Thomas or Javin White will be fine in Roquan's absence, the Bears will still win the same number of games either way.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can still afford to pay Smith, Mooney and Johnson. Like Poles has mentioned several times, he wants to build through the draft. Next year he will have an opportunity to draft a good pass rusher, OL, WR or whatever he wants. He will probably be able to draft good players at multiple positions. Maybe he wants that chunk of money to go towards re-singing current players and not towards big name FAs.
No need to pay Johnson, he doesn’t create enough turnovers

Montucky

Liked Posts:
No need to pay Johnson, he doesn’t create enough turnovers
Actually great coverage cornerbacks do lead indirectly to turnovers the same way great edge rushers do. Its why cornerback is the other defensive premium position. Also, we get to see Jaylon Johnson another year before having to pay him. Flexibility.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Roquan Smith were Luke Kuechly or Navorro Bowman (pre-knee annhilation) I'd be all over it. Twenty-five million a year, fuck it if he wants thirty let's do it. Send another motherfucker to Canton and ring the bells.

But he ain't, so its kind of a moot discussion. Joe Thomas or Javin White will be fine in Roquan's absence, the Bears will still win the same number of games either way.
How many did they rack up per season?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Sure, but can you afford to pay those three PLUS another free agent? What if Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver become available on the trade market next off-season (maybe because San Francisco is foolishly tying up twenty million of their cap in a middle linebacker oops)?

And next year he'll have an opportunity to draft another good linebacker too. Its actually a lot easier to find a good linebacker in the draft than it is to find a good edge rusher or quarterback.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually great coverage cornerbacks do lead indirectly to turnovers the same way great edge rushers do. Its why cornerback is the other defensive premium position. Also, we get to see Jaylon Johnson another year before having to pay him. Flexibility.
How many has he created?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Lots of power in them guts my guy.

I take it you bore out that anal cavity of yours through consistent pounding...

Why would you think that?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
How many did they rack up per season?
I actually looked it up and sure enough Navarro Bowman was responsible for eight the season before his career basically ended and Luke Kuechly averaged like four per year. Roquan hasn't even achieved those heights in his best season.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
But then you are looking at maybe having to pay Jaylon Johnson and Darnell Mooney next off-season. Plus there is a long-term need at edge rusher (Robert Quinn is old), left tackle, wide receiver and potentially quarterback. Maybe Braxton Jones works out and is great, still that's only one of the four settled. Roquan Smith might not hurt you in the 2023 off-season, but come 2024 Ryan Poles might be wishing he had twenty million or so bucks freed up to pursue something more impactfull

By 2024 we will likely restructure or shed ourselves of both Eddie Jackson and Quinn. And we always have the choice to take on more of Roquan's guaranteed money next season. And even then we still have plenty of money available and the most cap space as well for 2024. We need to keep good young players when we have them.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
By 2024 we will likely restructure or shed ourselves of both Eddie Jackson and Quinn. And we always have the choice to take on more of Roquan's guaranteed money next season. And even then we still have plenty of money available and the most cap space as well for 2024. We need to keep good young players when we have them.
I would rather take those savings from Quinn and Jackson and use them to replace Quinn and Jackson. Particularly Quinn.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually looked it up and sure enough Navarro Bowman was responsible for eight the season before his career basically ended and Luke Kuechly averaged like four per year. Roquan hasn't even achieved those heights in his best season.
How do they break down? Bowman played 4 seasons before his knee injury right? His average?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I would rather take those savings from Quinn and Jackson and use them to replace Quinn and Jackson. Particularly Quinn.
And you can and still have room to sign Roquan and room to solve world hunger

Montucky

Liked Posts:
And you can and still have room to sign Roquan and room to solve world hunger
So you really believe signing Roquan Smith now to the contract he wants doesn't come at any long term expense to the Bears? Like that they can sign him and do exactly as much these next two off-seasons as they would if they didn't sign him?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
So you really believe signing Roquan Smith now to the contract he wants doesn't come at any long term expense to the Bears? Like that they can sign him and do exactly as much these next two off-seasons as they would if they didn't sign him?

I think the Bears have done enough to make plenty of room for cap space moving forward. There is no need to bypass signing a young talent like Roquan. Trying to save 5-10 mil doesn't make much of a difference right now when he is the heart and voice of our defense. We have more than enough cap room to frontload his contract and eat the guaranteed money early on. We are going to have many young pieces on rookie deals for the next 3-4 years. So no, I think during this phase it is more than OK to spend big on him. If he isn't performing 3-4 years from now and we need the cap space we will likely have already eaten the guarenteed money and be able to cut/trade him if necessary.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe its time you look this stuff up yourself and sate your own curiosities.
No problem! Are you assuming that every forced fumble is recovered by the defense and is an actual turnover?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears have done enough to make plenty of room for cap space moving forward. There is no need to bypass signing a young talent like Roquan. Trying to save 5-10 mil doesn't make much of a difference right now when he is the heart and voice of our defense. We have more than enough cap room to frontload his contract and eat the guaranteed money early on. We are going to have many young pieces on rookie deals for the next 3-4 years. So no, I think during this phase it is more than OK to spend big on him. If he isn't performing 3-4 years from now and we need the cap space we will likely have already eaten the guarenteed money and be able to cut/trade him if necessary.
This is still a team that needs an edge rusher, a number one wide receiver and a left tackle. Those are the three most expensive positions after quarterback (and they might need one of those too by this coming off-season). I just don't see this cap flexibility the way you do. I look at this roster and think of all the things the Bears don't have and they are all very expensive things! The success rate of finding elite edge rushers and left tackles in the draft is pretty dismal too.