Met Tyler Colvin yesterday................

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How in the hell did you get that from my post?

you were the one making the point that Colvin has better offensive stats, though you conveniently ignore all the other statistics which clearly favor Castro.

Either way, I know you aren't dumb enough to think Colvin is actually better, and I know you were just trying to point out that they might be comparable in some respects.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
you were the one making the point that Colvin has better offensive stats, though you conveniently ignore all the other statistics which clearly favor Castro.

Either way, I know you aren't dumb enough to think Colvin is actually better, and I know you were just trying to point out that they might be comparable in some respects.

Colvin HAS been better this year. Castro has a higher BA (sort of a meaningless stat) and a better OBP, which Colvin more than makes up for that difference with his much, much, much greater power. That's about it. Lets look at some more plain and SABR stats.

BA: Castro
OBP: Castro
SLG: Colvin
OPS: Colvin
HR: Colvin
RBI: Colvin
BB/K: Castro
isolated power: Colvin
weighted runs created: Colvin
weighted runs above average: Colvin
wOBA: Colvin
wRC+: Colvin

Colvin is just the better hitter. All Castro on him is discipline but, like I said already, Colvin more than makes up for it with his big-time power.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colvin gots more power. That's because he's older. Castro being only 20, does not have the power yet but you can tell it's coming.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colvin HAS been better this year. Castro has a higher BA (sort of a meaningless stat) and a better OBP, which Colvin more than makes up for that difference with his much, much, much greater power. That's about it. Lets look at some more plain and SABR stats.

Colvin is just the better hitter. All Castro on him is discipline but, like I said already, Colvin more than makes up for it with his big-time power.

And Castro's above average defense at a premium position doesn't factor into this?

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, don't ignore the fact that Colvin's power is due in large part to a HR/FB rate of 23%, which would put him third in all of baseball.

that is a high number that will be almost impossible for him to sustain over a full season's worth of PA. When that number regresses to the mean, suddenly his numbers aren't are good.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Also, don't ignore the fact that Colvin's power is due in large part to a HR/FB rate of 23%, which would put him third in all of baseball.

that is a high number that will be almost impossible for him to sustain over a full season's worth of PA. When that number regresses to the mean, suddenly his numbers aren't are good.
That is true, but as of right now, it has not regressed, meaning he has put up the better numbers. This is not about the future but about right now. You seem to think just because I'm saying that Colvin is having the better year that Colvin is destined to have the better career, which is wrong, I'd rather have Castro any day of the week to have on my team for the future.

And Castro's above average defense at a premium position doesn't factor into this?

Colvins career UZR/150: 8.2
Castros: 5.1

Given Castro does play the premium position, I still like Colvin. That's about a 3rd of a win over a full season which I'll take from a less premium position.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lets say this, If I had to pick a player to play in the lineup today for some reason. My pick is Castro.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait, why do you get to use career UZR in a season comparison?

All things considered: position, age, offense, defense, expectations. I'd say Castro has had the better season.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
no, it used to be not so bad. Now it is just full of idiots.

20sy9vb.gif

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Wait, why do you get to use career UZR in a season comparison?

All things considered: position, age, offense, defense, expectations. I'd say Castro has had the better season.

I used career UZR because a little over 2/3rds of a season is too little to go off of. I just noticed that Colvin had only 45 innings last year so it's basically irrelevant. And you can factor in those things, I'll stick to what the numbers say, that Colvin is having the better year.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, Colvin only has a better wRC+, wOBA, OPS,

And Castro has also been better than Colvin in all those categories the last month and a half or so.

Castro is definitely the better hitter. Don't even think that Colvin is better. He isn't.
That is true, but as of right now, it has not regressed, meaning he has put up the better numbers. This is not about the future but about right now. You seem to think just because I'm saying that Colvin is having the better year that Colvin is destined to have the better career, which is wrong, I'd rather have Castro any day of the week to have on my team for the future.

Colvins career UZR/150: 8.2
Castros: 5.1

Given Castro does play the premium position, I still like Colvin. That's about a 3rd of a win over a full season which I'll take from a less premium position.

You forget to factor in the win and a half difference between SS and RF.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I used career UZR because a little over 2/3rds of a season is too little to go off of. I just noticed that Colvin had only 45 innings last year so it's basically irrelevant. And you can factor in those things, I'll stick to what the numbers say, that Colvin is having the better year.

That's not true, though. Castro has been better, all things considered.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
And Castro has also been better than Colvin in all those categories the last month and a half or so.
True that but I'm talking about the entire season not just the last few weeks.

Castro is definitely the better hitter. Don't even think that Colvin is better. He isn't.
Even if the numbers show otherwise?

You forget to factor in the win and a half difference between SS and RF.
It's only about a 6 run difference between them, not a win and a half.

:shifty:

TheDude13

Liked Posts:
You guys are all wrong, how can you forget about Augie Ojeda? That's who you build a team around. Not Fidel Castro and Tyler "I look like the dude from Reba" Colvin.