1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So you think 30 innings while injured is more indicative of performance than 1200 innings at a 4.6 ERA?

Sure I'd rather see Cashner but if they are similar in ST bringing Silva up to start and showcase him for a trade to try and save some money is much smarter than just cutting Silva or putting him in the pen.

If Silva sucks the entire ST, then things change, but right now I dont see much of a difference between the two.

On a side note Tango sees Silva having a better FIP than Cashner this year.

But showcasing him for a trade can backfire. He can also perform terrible and make absolutely nobody want him.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But showcasing him for a trade can backfire. He can also perform terrible and make absolutely nobody want him.

And the exact same can happen if we let Cashner start. He could struggle an we need Silva to start in his place...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And the exact same can happen if we let Cashner start. He could struggle an we need Silva to start in his place...

And then at least we gave him his shot.

If Silva is terrible though, nobody will take him. We aren't looking to trade Cashner.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
How'd this become a debate anyway if we have reports saying Cashner has a spot that is his to lose? LOL

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How'd this become a debate anyway if we have reports saying Cashner has a spot that is his to lose? LOL

This is a Sports forum. What should this post become..... a bunch of people saying Thank you for posting this?

LOL :bigfinger:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And then at least we gave him his shot.

If Silva is terrible though, nobody will take him. We aren't looking to trade Cashner.

So in scenario A) we let Cashner start and either cut Silva or put him in the bullpen. Either way most likely not ready to start if Cashner flops

In scenario B) Cashner stays stretched out and can start if Silva sucks or is traded or cut.

I must have missed it, where was that reported?

Also I just came in, in the middle of it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So in scenario A) we let Cashner start and either cut Silva or put him in the bullpen. Either way most likely not ready to start if Cashner flops

In scenario B) Cashner stays stretched out and can start if Silva sucks or is traded or cut.

I must have missed it, where was that reported?

Also I just came in, in the middle of it.

It was reported in the second paragraph of the article you posted about the Cubs wanting him to start. It said that a spot was his to lose.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And him being sent to AAA is speculation by some random 16 year old kid...

I never said that is what will happen. Hell, I don't even think that's what is going to happen. It's what SHOULD happen though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I never said that is what will happen. Hell, I don't even think that's what is going to happen. It's what SHOULD happen though.

Now that I won't argue with.

But what I said is that it won't happen anyway...

What DO you think happens then?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Silva will get the rotation, but Cash Money will be in the pen.

Is that in any scenario, or if they perform equally, or even if Cashner performs way better?

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs pen will be great if the Starters can all go 7 every game.

The back 3 is as money as can be.

Everything else is a complete adventure.

Yes Cashner would help the pen out right now, but it would hurt the Cubs in the long run by not letting him start. He has the potential to be a top 3 starter in the MLB, dont waste another season of his development by being in the bullpen.

While I agree with your second paragraph I will say this.

What's best for the present is not always best for the future. Cashner definitely helps the 2011 Cubs in the pen, but maybe not the 2012 to 2015 Cubs.

First off I'm going to say that I agree completely with you both.

I guess I'm just going to play devil's advocate/ see what you think about this:
Cashner should absolutely and most definitely be a starter. And while I have no proof of this, I think some one said that Cashner didn't care where he was, as long as he was on the Cubs.

So I guess my question is: Cashner can clearly perform well at either position (SP or RP), and I've even said that he would make an awesome setup guy in the late innings, so when does the needs of the team at the here and now out weigh what the guy was picked up to do/ is understood to do?

I'm not sure if I've phrased this well or even if this is a dumb question. It was just something I was thinking about after reading Poods comment about Cashner helping the 2011 Cubs in the pen, but not the 2012 and beyond Cubs.

Fair enough.

:popcorn:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First off I'm going to say that I agree completely with you both.

I guess I'm just going to play devil's advocate/ see what you think about this:
Cashner should absolutely and most definitely be a starter. And while I have no proof of this, I think some one said that Cashner didn't care where he was, as long as he was on the Cubs.

So I guess my question is: Cashner can clearly perform well at either position (SP or RP), and I've even said that he would make an awesome setup guy in the late innings, so when does the needs of the team at the here and now out weigh what the guy was picked up to do/ is understood to do?

I'm not sure if I've phrased this well or even if this is a dumb question. It was just something I was thinking about after reading Poods comment about Cashner helping the 2011 Cubs in the pen, but not the 2012 and beyond Cubs.

:popcorn:

Are you saying that the Cubs picked him up to be a RP? I'm confused as to what you are saying here.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Are you saying that the Cubs picked him up to be a RP? I'm confused as to what you are saying here.

No, his question is basically this:
"When does the teams needs for that season weigh over what the players was picked up to do and is understood to be able to do".

So, basically, when does a team need go over what a player was projected to be developed as.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

No, his question is basically this:
"When does the teams needs for that season weigh over what the players was picked up to do and is understood to be able to do".

So, basically, when does a team need go over what a player was projected to be developed as.

Well, I'm guessing that we got Cashner to be a SP, not a RP, so pretty much what Jntg said.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I'm guessing that we got Cashner to be a SP, not a RP, so pretty much what Jntg said.

Okay, because I was going to say... we didn't draft him as a RP lol.

I would say that the team need goes over his projection and whatnot, if the team has a legitimate shot at winning. We don't really have that. Which is why I feel that it would be a complete waste of Cashner to have him in the bullpen. If this was 2008, then hell yes you put him in the bullpen. But is a year of .500 baseball really worth it?