MLB draft is a week from today(june 12th)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
8th round pick Austin Filiere

Not on either BA or mlb.com's top lists. They said he could have went earlier than this so i suppose it's a fair enough pick. He's from MIT so should be a smart dude.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
9th round pick RF Chris Carrier. Not rated by either BA/MLB but has decent power for a senior. Hit 16 HRs. .330/.438/.641 Likely a money saving pick but guy seems like he hit swell.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
10th round pick RHP Brian Glowicki College senior

Bullpen arm it looks like. Not rated on either BA or MLB.com but I'm guessing they are saving money here as well.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So that ends today. Here's my overall thoughts. Little and Lange aren't quite Cease level talents but should be solid prospects. Lange in particular could just be flat out under rated. He's shown really strong K/9 in a tough SEC. Walks are higher than you'd like to see but you're talking about a 3 year starter here in the SEC. Little being a lefty with some tools makes him more interesting. Lefties can be hard to find.

On Abbott, he sort of came out of no where. His season this past year was fantastic with a 11.9 k/9 and a 2.56 bb/9 and a 1.74 ERA in the WCC. That being said, he's kind of a meh pick for me. Unless the tools finally clicked for him and scouting reports just haven't caught up he seems like someone picked with some upside but mostly to save money for later.

On Thompson, he strikes me as someone who's a better player than a "prospect." Another SEC guy who threw 3 years with a 2.45 ERA over 253 innings. He's probably going to be one of the guys I personally like the most just because low walk rates do it for me.

On Uelmen, he's arguably my least favorite pick. His k rate did tick up to 9.15 but the other two years it was roughly 7 in the big west. HIs walk rate is decent but kind of underwhelming stuff for the 135th pick. That's not to say that he's bad but he strikes me more similar to someone like Jake Stinnett in terms of impact which is to say a guy they drafted because they like but did so to save money. He does sort of fit the mold the cubs like to pick though which is command starters.

On Velazquez, I find him to be super intriguing. There's not a ton of info out there on him but 70 grade speed and the potential to play CF make anyone interesting. Supposedly also has good bat speed. I typically trust the cubs a lot when it comes to bats. The sound of his report is he has tools but isn't all that refined as a hitter right now.

On Estrada, if he returns to form he is probably a similar range to Little and Lange. So i'm guessing this is where they dump most of their slot money. Seems pretty obvious their plan was always to gamble on some HS arm with money saved else where and he seems like a decent enough buy low type.

On Filiere and Carrier, both appear to be money saving picks but both guys can legit hit based on their stats. And as I said prior I trust the cubs to find guys who hit. Whether it's guys like Chesny Young or Chacer Burks or Ian Rice, they tend to nail some guys in the mid rounds. So, if you're taking guys who are under the radar to save money these guys look the part.

On Ricky Tyler Thomas and Brian Glowicki, both to me look like bull pen guys. Glowicki was already there in college and was pretty good especially this past year. Last 2 years he was 9.55 k/9 and 10.74. Walk rate over his career is 2.36 so pretty good command. Thomas started for Fresno but if he doesn't get his walk rate under control he almost surely ends up in a bulllpen and may already be there if cubs don't see him fixing that issue.

Overall, the bats I think are fine. Obviously they weren't really going to guy too many high picks on bats given where they have went in IFA and given the players they already have. On the arms... I mean I don't hate the guys they've taken. But I think you could make the argument that they went more for safety than upside. Estrada was the only high school arm they took. While I do like some of the arms none of them strike me as guys who will end up with #1 type potential which maybe is an impossible ask starting your draft at 27.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is going to be interesting how the mid season ranking shake out now.

The top 3 should stay the same. Alzolay should break into the top 20 if not top 10. The 1st rounders should get higher ranked than Hatch. Maybe 9-12.

Had to guess Eloy, Happ, Cease, Candy, DeLaCruz, Clifton, Catarani, Alzolay, Lange, Little, Albertros, CJ Wilson, Martinez, Hatch

Z should fall with Underwood. Neither are doing much. Albertros eventually has to hit live action to justify a high ranking. Alzolay should be the head turner. Catarani is breaking out this year and needs to jump up in the rankings.

As far as top 100 DeLaCruz should still be around the cut off. His DL stint didn't help here. Clifton through Alozay should be in the top 200.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It is going to be interesting how the mid season ranking shake out now.

The top 3 should stay the same. Alzolay should break into the top 20 if not top 10. The 1st rounders should get higher ranked than Hatch. Maybe 9-12.

Had to guess Eloy, Happ, Cease, Candy, DeLaCruz, Clifton, Catarani, Alzolay, Lange, Little, Albertros, CJ Wilson, Martinez, Hatch

Z should fall with Underwood. Neither are doing much. Albertros eventually has to hit live action to justify a high ranking. Alzolay should be the head turner. Catarani is breaking out this year and needs to jump up in the rankings.

As far as top 100 DeLaCruz should still be around the cut off. His DL stint didn't help here. Clifton through Alozay should be in the top 200.

Caratini wont be that high. He's a good player but ultimately he doesn't have the tools you look for in high ranking prospects. He's probably a 60 grade hit tool but he's more like a 45 or maybe even a 40 power. And while I believe he's passable as a C, he's not extremely strong defensively. Ultimately stats don't really play in prospect rankings. That is so far as they relate to your tools. If you have great tools and great stats then they may change your ranking but Kyle Hendricks wasn't even close to the cubs top 10 because he never had the tools despite being the cubs minor league pitcher of the year.

In terms of Alzolay, doubt he's ahead of Albertos. Albertos has thrown this year it's just not been in games that count. Presumably they are waiting until short season A ball starts up. Let's not forget he's only 18. So, you're talking about him being the same age as prep high schoolers who get drafted. Most of the time they don't even pitch in short season A unless they are pretty special. As for where Alzolay falls in, I imagine he'll basically be elevated to a similar level as Clifton was last year which is mid-teens. Honestly, they will probably underrate him. He strikes me as someone who pops up in mid season rankings but may get traded in a big time trade and suddenly is in the top 100 type talk next offseason.

In terms of Little/Lange, they are going to be 50 grade prospects. So, I'd imagine they will be in front of Hatch. Depending on how you like them, I think you can make the case of putting Lange in front of Clifton. He's got better pure stuff and pitched in the SEC. The counter argument is Clifton is pitching well in AA and is closer to the majors. But the knock on him is going to be he doesn't have as much upside. Lange is also a more prototypical build of 6'4 200 where Clifton is on the smaller size. I'm not going to venture a guess on Little. He's a lefty so that's bonus points but at this point it's hard to get a read on him as he's just not pitched enough.

I'd also mention Martinez may fall in rankings. He's got good tools but he's just not hit this year. This sort of happened to him last year too and he came on so maybe he'll rebound but he's hitting .214/.266/.323 right now and while he does have a hellishly low BABIP at .229, people will knock him for that. He wont fall far though.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Clifton is 6'4" 220 now. They haven't updated his draft profile. Fastball sits mid 90's peaking at 97. Lange' s best pitch is his power curve which may end up one of the best in the game.

They are similar in talent but that power curve could put Lange on a whole another level. I doubt he pitches this year with him pitching in the WS. Little should get some action and he is just as intriguing. But as a 2 inning pitcher bs a starter. I see him starting at first but his ability to take his fastball up to 97 in short stints will play up more with the brass. I really believe That they were so impressed with Miller in the series that they targeted this kid with that vision.

Catrini will be great trade bait IMO. He can flat out rake and is a SH. He is meh as a catcher and that is what pushes his rankings down. Catching holds the most impact for his future but it is his bat that will get him into the majors.

I really don't see him as Contreras' back up next year. They are better off getting a vet back up and using this kid as a trade chip. He has played 1B and honestly he is a guy that any team should push him into a corner guy that can catch. Gives a guy that can move around that has a starting player quality bat. He would fall into Joe's type but his trade value is peaking.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Draft starting up again today. Think they are doing 10-20 today but i'm not 100%. I'd expect to see some more bats today

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Draft starting up again today. Think they are doing 10-20 today but i'm not 100%. I'd expect to see some more bats today
I saw today was last day....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
11th rounder Lacy, Rollie Creighton U RHP 6'4" 195lbs

He's a JR so there is probably a little upside here and he has decent size. I'll have to dig in more to find more info as he's not top 200 on mlb.com and not top 500 on BA.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
11th rounder Lacy, Rollie Creighton U RHP 6'4" 195lbs

He's a JR so there is probably a little upside here and he has decent size. I'll have to dig in more to find more info as he's not top 200 on mlb.com and not top 500 on BA.

Well his first 2 years at Creighton were very meh. Had good ERAs at 2.66 and 3.15 but his K/9 was sub 6. Had good walk rates. He turned it on his JR year with a 8.42 k/9 and a very solid 1.83 bb/9. Given the cubs preference for pitching he strikes me as a ground ball guy with good control but i don't know that for sure

Rollie Lacy is a right-handed pitcher out of Creighton University in Omaha. He graduated from Holy Family High School where, as a senior, he posted a 0.00 ERA in 34 innings. He is now a red-shirt junior. He has been the team’s Friday night starting pitcher since his sophomore season. At 6-4 and 195 pounds, Lacy typically will sit 89-91 mph. He has a lot of sink and also throws a slurve. This year, he went 5-2 with a 2.54 ERA. In 88.2 innings, he struck out 83 and walked just 18. He’ll likely be an early Day 3 guy because he doesn’t have a ton of velocity, but he is one who could go through the lower levels fairly quickly.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
12th round pick Hecht, Ben Wichita St U RHP R/R JR -- 6'2" 185lbs

Local kid from Champaign. Stats look like a reliever with big time control problems but a 11.32 k/9 over 62 innings in college. Will look for more detailed scouting report.

This is from the 2013 draft when he was a high schooler...

A projectable 6-foot-3 righty, Hecht currently sits in the 85-88 range with his fastball despite occasionally brushing 92, so teams would definitely like to see him add strength as he continues to develop. There’s plenty of good news: the fastball has some life to it, the arm action is nice and short with high hand separation, and he shows the makings of a three-pitch mix. The change is solid for a prep pitcher, and he shows a feel for a curve that needs tighter rotation and more velocity. He’s also an outstanding athlete, playing shortstop for his high school team. There’s a chance he can develop into a starting pitcher. His commitment is to Illinois State as a two-way player, but if the Mets find a few dollars left over he could sign.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Following up on Hecht, he was pretty good as a starter for Lincoln Land in division 2 in 2016. had 10.22 k/9 and a 4.22 bb/9. Looks like a project for sure but he also hit well so he's a pretty good athlete.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
13th round Upshaw, Austin Kennesaw State IF L/R JR -- 6'0" 180lbs

Pretty good hitter in college(.361/.416/.515). Looks like he played 1B and had averageish power but it's hard to tell with college kids.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
14th round pick Vazquez, Luis Alberto Melendez Torres School SS R/R HS -- 6'1" 165lbs

Yeah... i got nothing on him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
15th round Young, Jared Old Dominion U 2B L/R JR -- 6'2" 185lbs

Looks to have average power and hits for a good average/walk rate.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looks like their taking all college arms..
Stock up on low minors and hope a couple of these guys push forward in 3-4 yrs..
Or
At least become tradeable for future needs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk