**MLB Draft Thread**

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fucking Brutal.

People whine about how it would have been dumb to overslot for Appel last year and are going to slurp up overslotting for a swing and miss hitter with the #2 overall pick.

And then a Misery Tigger in the second round.

Awful. Just plain awful.

Swing and miss?
Led the Nation in HR's 31 and BB 66. They had him hit #1 because teams would pitch around him. Which led to him leading the nation in runs scored 80. His SO's were low.

Swing and miss types are Sori and Baez so far.

There was a glaring need at 3B system wise. I'd rather have them retain Garza and pony up for Price when he becomes available. (IE keep stocking up the farm)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways there was a delay after the stroes picked Appel. Obviously Appel going #1 was a shocker and the Cubs were planning on spending to get him. It would have been the same situation cut back late rounds because Appel would have wanted #1 slot also.

Just with Gray using Addy this year and at the same time his Velocity jumped and his value jumped I'd rather take the 30 HR bat in college. There was no other power bat in college even close.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Cannot believe that Wahl is still there in Round 3. Going to be a tough call between Wahl and C Denney.

Gotta be Denny, after Reese McGuire and Ciuffo went 14 and 20, I was sure Denney was within 5...

Gotta be a signability problem......dont give a shit. Draft this kid. Plus offense, plus defensive catcher.....shoulda went first round.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs believe a guy like Puk is signable and could slip to 4th round, go with Denney. Go look at video of Wahl.

[video=youtube;Mov_YM4Jkjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mov_YM4Jkjg[/video]

He repeats his mechanics and has a solid follow through on his pitches. Delivery is similar to Lincecum, but has 4-5 inches on Timmy.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Swing and miss?
Led the Nation in HR's 31 and BB 66. They had him hit #1 because teams would pitch around him. Which led to him leading the nation in runs scored 80. His SO's were low.

Swing and miss types are Sori and Baez so far.

There was a glaring need at 3B system wise. I'd rather have them retain Garza and pony up for Price when he becomes available. (IE keep stocking up the farm)

Whether he played for the University of San Diego or not, or whether he played against softer competition, a .330 Avg, 31 HR's, and a crazy 1.314 OPS is nothing to sneeze at.

BTW, for what it's worth, I am sure that their are about 27 or 28 other teams that wish they were able to get him. Let's just hope that this guy is as legit as the scouts think he is. It's not as if they wouldn't have taken Appel if he was available.

I do like the chances of at least 2 of the 4 between Almora, Baez, Soler, and now Bryant making it and contributing to the Cubs. Not to mention, Voglebach, Shoulders, Alcantara, Johnson and others who have an outside shot also.

By contributing, I mean it now gives the Cubs something to package in the farm, or package with Castro or somebody to net the top end pitcher they need to go along with Shark.

You also know the Cubs are going to get a good pick next year. That is a given............Stay tuned! :popcorn:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You also know the Cubs are going to get a good pick next year. That is a given............Stay tuned!

true enough. They should get a #6 again unless they blow it up then they could be looking at a top 3.

This year Appel was being compared to Prior a lot. Not as good but more durable. He deserved the #1 status.

Between Gray and Bryant. Both broke out this year. Gray got a red flag pop Bryant didn't. Both look to hit the majors fast. The landscape is changing. 5 players from last years draft are playing on their teams right now 2 months into the year. The talent is not as far as it used to be.

So IMO either Gray or Bryant could have been on the team by this time next year if not out of spring training.

3B..to be honest there is no quality talent coming up. Every one is a suspect talent. Only a homer would say any of them were better then Valbuena.

F/A wise Renyolds was the best coming up. Again a short term solution and he is swing an miss. 200 SO per year amounts. We know what we would get with him.

F/A pitching: Every year there is a big name. Price may hit the trade market.

Signing Bryant for 3B frees up Baez as a trade chip. His 24 errors and 58 SO's in 216 AB's are suspect. 9 BB is not getting it done. He seems like a project at best and that means trade bait.

Soler on the other hand. 3 errors in RF, 30 SO 21 BB in 182 AB. He is putting up more advanced production. They could bump him up to AA right now.

Like I've said they now have a potential core of Soler/Rizzo/Bryant They can now use Vogelbach and Baez to go after Price or another top of the rotation arm (Hammels/etc)

Not a bad situation to be in at all.

On Gray...may be great may end up as another Brad Penny. Who knows. fact is pitching is easier to get. Power hitting 3B is dry.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs dream of an IF of Bryant, Baez, Castro, and Rizzo. I would not trade Baez. He started off bad, but is coming on like a freight train. Soler has more walks and less strikeouts. Baez has better slugging. They are about even in every other category. Also, Soler arm has supposively not been as good as advertised. I would rather keep Baez right now. He has the most potential out of anyone in our farm.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs dream of an IF of Bryant, Baez, Castro, and Rizzo. I would not trade Baez. He started off bad, but is coming on like a freight train. Soler has more walks and less strikeouts. Baez has better slugging. They are about even in every other category. Also, Soler arm has supposively not been as good as advertised. I would rather keep Baez right now. He has the most potential out of anyone in our farm.

They are projecting him at 2B. Bruce Levine predicted that the Cubs would take Bryant and more Baez to 2B due to his D.

Not saying that is a bad option but if you can use him to get Price you do it every time.

I was reading that on Soler's arm also. Think on of the announcers, was either Mayo or Hart were saying Bryant has a cannon of an arm. Mayo was feeling that start him out at 3B with RF as a back up as his arm is that good.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

In a perfect world, the Cubs would have an infield like that that costs very little to nothing and have them for a very long time. In the realistic world, the Cubs are going to have to trade some of these prospects like Baez, Soler, Almora or someone else along with a Castro for instance, to net the pitching they need.

The only way they keep the youth is if the Cubs start throwing stupid money at some of these free agent players and pitchers IF they ever hit the open market.

Lets not forget, Theo once traded Hanley Ramirez (once thought of as untouchable), and Anibal Sanchez to get Beckett, Mota, and Lowell. You know he would do it again if it netted the right people.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Dumb.......this was absolutely a dumb pick....lost a year and change to his Mormon trip.....22 years old with 'raw' talents. Great. Another 29 year old bloomer

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm surprised people here still care about the rest of the draft when they suggested getting Appel last year and then picking randoms who would sign for less in order to afford him :shrug:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Called it.

Best position bat in the draft. Heres your 3B.

Time to deal Castro for some pitching or in a bundle for Stanton. Get the weak guys who cant hit nothing more then singles outta theres No need for em, we just got the premium power bat of the draft. Theo doing it the right way. Hopefully he gets to Wrigley soon,kids gonna hit 50 for more then a couple years with his power. Go cry about those pitchers, can get good enough in FA. I love it, just love it.

Its a great day to be a Cubs fan.

Tuggers- HA HA!!

I'd be OK with guys hitting singles ahead of the power hitters.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be OK with guys hitting singles ahead of the power hitters.

Usually the ideal, singles with speed at the top big bats in the middle and the weak , ie. Barney at the end.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm thinking the Cubs order right now is Appel, Bryant, Gray, just a gut feeling. I still have Gray, Appel, Bryant as I stated earlier.

Guess I was right.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I'm surprised people here still care about the rest of the draft when they suggested getting Appel last year and then picking randoms who would sign for less in order to afford him :shrug:

And yet this seems to be EXACTLY what the Cubs did this year so they can afford to sign Bryant.

Whoops.

In your own words.....

Guess I was right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130608&content_id=50052204&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

CHICAGO -- Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein and vice president of scouting and player development Jason McLeod ended the second day of the First-Year Player Draft on Friday in the club's war room, looking at their board.

Through 10 rounds, the Cubs felt they got the Draft's best hitter (No. 2 overall pick Kris Bryant), a position player they couldn't pass up (third-round pick Jacob Hannemann) and a bevy of experienced arms that can infuse the organization's well-noted lack of pitching depth.

"I felt really good about it, because it was college pitchers that we really liked," McLeod said Saturday, as the Draft concluded. "It really fit a lot of the criteria that we like from a mechanical standpoint, performance standpoint. At the end of the day, we were really happy to see our board up there with the college pitchers that we really liked."

The Cubs completed their second Draft under McLeod, Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer on Saturday, coming away pleased with their newest class.

The Cubs took 19 arms -- 16 right-handed, three left-handed -- eight outfielders, seven infielders and six catchers. Ten of their pitching selections came from the college ranks, seven in the first 10 rounds.

"I think everything always feels good after the Draft concludes," McLeod said. "Immediately, there's a lot of excitement about the new players you're bringing into the system. You're always happy and excited the days after the Draft, and we are that."

Because the Cubs, with the second overall pick, knew they'd get one of the big three (Stanford right-hander Mark Appel, Oklahoma righty Jonathan Gray or Bryant, a third baseman from San Diego), McLeod said the main focus heading into the Draft was on the second-fourth rounds. This year, the Cubs wanted to target college starters after mostly taking high-upside high schoolers a year ago.

They succeeded, choosing Missouri left-hander Rob Zastryzny (second round), Kent State right-hander Tyler Skulina (fourth), Texas Tech righty Trey Masek (fifth) and Pepperdine righty Scott Frazier (sixth).

"We've talked a lot about needing some starting pitching in the organization," McLeod said. "We really wanted to infuse the system with guys who fit the criteria of what we felt could be starting pitchers."

The Cubs appear to have gotten a lot of value in those picks, as well. Masek, Frazier and right-hander Michael Wagner -- a 15th-round selection and Bryant's roommate at San Diego -- were all ranked by MLB.com significantly higher than they were selected. Masek was ranked as MLB.com's 67th-best prospect on its Top 100 Draft Prospects list, but went 138th overall; Frazier ranked No. 77, but the Cubs took him with the 168th pick; and Wagner, the 438th pick, was ranked No. 58.

McLeod admitted he was a bit surprised to see those arms still available.

The Cubs went off the board a bit with their third-round pick in Hannemann, a center fielder from Brigham Young. Hannemann, a 22-year-old freshman who served his Mormon mission, played only one season of college ball. He hit .344/.415/.553 with 16 doubles, seven triples and five home runs en route to West Coast Conference Freshman of the Year and Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American honors.

He also was a two-sport player at Brigham Young, listed on the football team's spring depth chart as a backup cornerback.

"Jacob Hannemann became a guy for us somewhat later in the spring, that became one of those guys that we just had to have, with his athleticism and his strength and what we feel his upside could be," McLeod said of the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder.

While Hannemann might be a bit raw, the majority of the Cubs' early selections aren't. McLeod said he expects most of the pitchers taken on Day 2, specifically guys like Zastryzny, Masek and Skulina, to quickly move through the Minor League ranks.

"Most of the time with those guys, when it's High-A, Double-A, that's when they're going to get their biggest challenges," McLeod said. "But we like all of them, obviously, and I would expect those guys to go out and throw strikes and compete right away."

In the Pipeline
The Cubs' 2013 Draft class adds to their rapidly improving farm system.

The club's Top 20 Prospects list is headed by three impact position players -- shortstop Javier Baez and outfielders Albert Almora and Jorge Soler -- and a power-hitting first baseman in Dan Vogelbach (No. 11).

The additions of the 19 pitchers add to the depth Epstein and Co. have tried to implement since arriving in Chicago. Right-handers Arodys Vizcaino (No. 5, out for season after arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow), Dillon Maples (No. 6) and Pierce Johnson (No. 7) are all considered Top 10 prospects by MLB.com, while last year's second-round pick, righty Duane Underwood (No. 15), is an intriguing raw talent.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the Cubs did weell in this years draft, now just get them signed.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I thought the Cubs did weell in this years draft, now just get them signed.

Seeing as you also thought Michael Bowden clearing waivers was a 'huge break' for the Cubs, I am not putting any weight to your opinion.

The only other pick, outside of Bryant, that has gotten any praise was the 5th round pick Masek who not surprisingly has had arm injuries this year. Seems like most of the pitching the #TheoSpankfest seems to prefer are injured pitchers.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Seeing as you also thought Michael Bowden clearing waivers was a 'huge break' for the Cubs, I am not putting any weight to your opinion.

Anyone with an IQ over 16 wouldnt...

The only other pick, outside of Bryant, that has gotten any praise was the 5th round pick Masek who not surprisingly has had arm injuries this year. Seems like most of the pitching the #TheoSpankfest seems to prefer are injured pitchers.

As a pitcher, I'm complacent with Zastryzynsky, he looks like a great pitcher on a dogshit team. It happens. Not talking Roy Halladay for the better part of a decade with Toronto talented (dont get any ideas :fap: party)--but I can live with him. I'm annoyed as shit they passed on Jon Denney--first round talent, but somehow drafting 6 catchers rounds 19 and beyond is a brilliant idea.....

Cue the sabremetrics :fap: party about getting on base, or how 6 chances at the lottery are better than a 1st rounder who fell to the 3rd round; but I had to see a 22 year old Mormon take over 2 years off for his personal religion trip young adults do (not knocking the religion, I'm knocking the fact Jedstein took a 'raw' player who hasnt played in 2 years....)