MLB's new pace of play rules

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The verdict from Major League Baseball's pace-of-game committee is in, and according to Fox Sport's Ken Rosenthal, tomorrow MLB will announce three rule changes designed to speed up games:

Managers must challenge replays from dugout.

Batters must keep one foot in box unless an established exception occurs.

Play to resume promptly once broadcast returns from commercial break.

http://deadspin.com/report-mlb-will-implement-three-new-rule-changes-to-sp-1686904792

Liked Posts:
This is a joke. If anything improves its because of the Hawthorne Effect more than the actual changes.

BTW- Pitchers and managers are the biggest reason games take so long. But instead let's blame the batters. Stepping out of the box is a way for them to disrupt a pitchers rhythm. Ok, so now let's bitch about a lack of offense. Manfred/Torre is a glaring choad.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The verdict from Major League Baseball's pace-of-game committee is in, and according to Fox Sport's Ken Rosenthal, tomorrow MLB will announce three rule changes designed to speed up games:

Batters must keep one foot in box unless an established exception occurs.

Play to resume promptly once broadcast returns from commercial break.

http://deadspin.com/report-mlb-will-implement-three-new-rule-changes-to-sp-1686904792

I like it. I hope the rule on the manager is that once they leave the dugout they can't ask for a replay once they return to the dugout. This will prevent the "buying time"

Also like play resuming right after commercial break. many times it can take up to a minute before the pitcher takes the rubber.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Also like play resuming right after commercial break. many times it can take up to a minute before the pitcher takes the rubber.

This one is incredibly smart. Short of cutting some of the ads, which of course will never happen, this is the next best thing. There will be some glitches though where TV starts late and the like but they'll get it down.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This one is incredibly smart. Short of cutting some of the ads, which of course will never happen, this is the next best thing. There will be some glitches though where TV starts late and the like but they'll get it down.

Exactly. I see maybe an ear piece for the Home Plate ump and a TV Producer telling him when there is ten seconds left so that the pitcher is ready to go from a signal from the ump.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'd rather have a shock collar around the home plate ump. That way, not only could they mildly buzz him when to get the inning going, but when he calls a pitch the wrong way, he gets zapped more than mildly. Buffalo Wild Wings could control that umpire from their secret control center and make him dance against his will during the 7th inning stretch at Fenway. Zap, zap, zap...Sweet Caroline! :D

Eh, seriously, what MLB has come up with will speed up the game, but they still need to address lack of offense.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Eh, seriously, what MLB has come up with will speed up the game, but they still need to address lack of offense.

But more offense means longer games. It's a Catch 22

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't care how long the games are of they let the players roid up again and hit 60+ Homers a year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Excitement > Boring. IOW, "Longer" is too simple of a description.

I'm not sure high scoring is exciting to baseball fans. To the casual fan perhaps but that would risk alienating the baseball fan. Doesn't seem worth it. Need to find another way to get the casual fan.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not sure high scoring is exciting to baseball fans.
Did you live in a cave during the steroid era?

To the casual fan perhaps but that would risk alienating the baseball fan.
Baseball is losing fans at the youth level because of how "boring" it is. Unless they start dramatically being proactive, as the NFL has done, the number of fans no matter how you wish to categorize them will be declining in significant numbers.

Doesn't seem worth it. Need to find another way to get the casual fan.
Chicks dig the long ball. That's been true ever since Babe Ruth was in the league. There is nothing exciting about a 1-0 ballgame unless you are participating in it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't care how long the games are of they let the players roid up again and hit 60+ Homers a year.
No steroids and unnatural record-breaking numbers, please, but your sentiment about being able to score swiftly and often is the way the game needs to head.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Did you live in a cave during the steroid era?

Nope. We are at record revenues now with the supposed slowness.

There is nothing exciting about a 1-0 ballgame unless you are participating in it.

Nothing better than watching a 1-0 game. Especially if there is some history associated with it. I would dare say that the 8th and 9th innings are highest rated during such games.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Nope. We are at record revenues now with the supposed slowness.
It's never good business to remain stagnate. Being proactive to market forces keeps a business ahead. Baseball won't be that lucky. It's slowly but surely getting replaced.

Nothing better than watching a 1-0 game. Especially if there is some history associated with it. I would dare say that the 8th and 9th innings are highest rated during such games.
Is that why they are trying to speed the game up? Because people are watching the 8th and 9th innings?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's never good business to remain stagnate. Being proactive to market forces keeps a business ahead. Baseball won't be that lucky. It's slowly but surely getting replaced.

Maybe

Is that why they are trying to speed the game up? Because people are watching the 8th and 9th innings?

1-0 games are the fastest games around..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
not to pat myself on the back but in the other thread these are exactly what I said needed to be done to help shorten the time...

time between half innings went from AVG. just over 3 MINs to now ....

Timers will be used to govern the length of breaks between each half-inning, counting down from 2:45 for nationally televised games and 2:25 for local broadcasts

I like the rule changes... I read that they will have clocks on or near CF scoreboard and behind home plate with the 245 and 225 countdown..

I would guess with manager staying in dug out that they would have until batter set in box to request a replay...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Baseball loses out on the casual fans, IMO, because it no longer reaches out to them when they're kids. The percentage of revenues that MLB invests in youth baseball has been on a steady decline since the early 1980's. On top of that marketing to younger fans has also been inconsistent. Teams should have at least one game a week on at a time when kids in their time zone are most likely to watch and advertise accordingly. They could also have programming before the Saturday national games that appeals to youth. Tie it in with video games if you have to, make it an interesting watch and teach the game within that framework. Also put some playoff games on early where kids could watch. Would a 5:00 EST World Series game kill them? Yes, it would be an investment but an investment in teh future of their sport. Artificial means of increasing scoring could lead to some unintended consequences. Baseball is an entertaining game as is. It does take some work to learn though so TEACH. I'm not opposed to tinkering but wholesale changes to attract casual fans or because "chicks dig the long ball"? No thank you.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Baseball loses out on the casual fans, IMO, because it no longer reaches out to them when they're kids. The percentage of revenues that MLB invests in youth baseball has been on a steady decline since the early 1980's. On top of that marketing to younger fans has also been inconsistent. Teams should have at least one game a week on at a time when kids in their time zone are most likely to watch and advertise accordingly. They could also have programming before the Saturday national games that appeals to youth. Tie it in with video games if you have to, make it an interesting watch and teach the game within that framework. Also put some playoff games on early where kids could watch. Would a 5:00 EST World Series game kill them? Yes, it would be an investment but an investment in teh future of their sport. Artificial means of increasing scoring could lead to some unintended consequences. Baseball is an entertaining game as is. It does take some work to learn though so TEACH. I'm not opposed to tinkering but wholesale changes to attract casual fans or because "chicks dig the long ball"? No thank you.

Putting the game on that early has to be done on a weekend. During the week the west coast kids are still in school and the midwest kdis would be for two or three innings.