Mooney being shopped - PFF Brad

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:

Rise

Liked Posts:
No it doesn’t make sense. Claypool won’t play all 16. Fields has great rapport with Mooney, plus Mooney is the type of player you want in the locker room.

If Smith develops then maybe next year you can let Mooney walk assuming Claypool breaks out and they prefer to pay him. I just can’t see this happening though.

Trading away offense is why the Bears have always sucked. Even building historic defenses still just get beat in the playoffs. You need a great offensive and an opportunistic defense.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
t would come as a major surprise if the Bears entertained the idea of actually moving on from Darnell Mooney, but it would be less surprising if Mooney was a bit frustrated with the lack of progress in extension conversations to this point in the offseason and was open to a change of scenery. Mooney went from the No. 1 receiving option in 2022 to sharing targets with D.J. Moore and Chase Claypool, and Chicago was a distant dead last in pass attempts, completions and yards last season. While they figure to take a massive leap forward, perhaps Mooney wants more volume in a pivotal contract year.

In Mooney’s best season in 2021, he hauled in 81 receptions for 1,055 yards, with his 29 explosive receptions tied for seventh among wide receivers and his 10 missed tackles forced a top-20 mark. Mooney is a downfield separator who has dealt with anemic passing offenses throughout his NFL career, which is certainly not helping his contract prospects. He appears to be extremely close with quarterback Justin Fields and growth is expected in 2023, but Mooney may not want to wait around to find out without a new contract coming off an ankle injury that prematurely ended his 2022 campaign.

How can this possibly be interpreted as "Mooney being shopped?"

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
No it doesn’t make sense. Claypool won’t play all 16. Fields has great rapport with Mooney, plus Mooney is the type of player you want in the locker room.

If Smith develops then maybe next year you can let Mooney walk assuming Claypool breaks out and they prefer to pay him. I just can’t see this happening though.

Trading away offense is why the Bears have always sucked. Even building historic defenses still just get beat in the playoffs. You need a great offensive and an opportunistic defense.
If they don’t plan on extending him whether you agree with it or not I would rather trade him and get something than lose for zip. Bears won’t be in the comp game for a few more seasons cause they have plenty of cap space. I do get the point though keep as many players as possible to let fields develop. But this year it won’t be the skill position players holding him back. It’s going to be the garbage oline that never is taken seriously enough here

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are they actually shopping or is this just speculation by the basement crowd....
Pure speculation and an uninformed poorly written one. Doesn't even bring Tyler Scott's similar build and skill set into the equation.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How can this possibly be interpreted as "Mooney being shopped?"
PFF Brad mentioned it in a tweet a half hour ago. May be pure speculation but others have said he has a source or two. Who knows? I’m just here with my ?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are they actually shopping or is this just speculation by the basement crowd....
Based on the article, seems like speculation.

It would come as a major surprise if the Bears entertained the idea of actually moving on from Darnell Mooney, but it would be less surprising if Mooney was a bit frustrated with the lack of progress in extension conversations to this point in the offseason and was open to a change of scenery. Mooney went from the No. 1 receiving option in 2022 to sharing targets with D.J. Moore and Chase Claypool, and Chicago was a distant dead last in pass attempts, completions and yards last season. While they figure to take a massive leap forward, perhaps Mooney wants more volume in a pivotal contract year.

In Mooney’s best season in 2021, he hauled in 81 receptions for 1,055 yards, with his 29 explosive receptions tied for seventh among wide receivers and his 10 missed tackles forced a top-20 mark. Mooney is a downfield separator who has dealt with anemic passing offenses throughout his NFL career, which is certainly not helping his contract prospects. He appears to be extremely close with quarterback Justin Fields and growth is expected in 2023, but Mooney may not want to wait around to find out without a new contract coming off an ankle injury that prematurely ended his 2022 campaign.

Rise

Liked Posts:
If they don’t plan on extending him whether you agree with it or not I would rather trade him and get something than lose for zip. Bears won’t be in the comp game for a few more seasons cause they have plenty of cap space. I do get the point though keep as many players as possible to let fields develop. But this year it won’t be the skill position players holding him back. It’s going to be the garbage oline that never is taken seriously enough here

I assume one of Claypool or Mooney gets extended right? They have to pay somebody and I don’t think any FA WRs will be available. I’m perfectly fine letting this play out.

This season is about Fields, is he the guy or not? We need every available weapon we can get to make this determination this season.

Now if a team is coming with a 1st round pick I see your point. But I think his value at the trade deadline would be similar to right now. The other possibility is he lost a step from the injury,

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"May be shopped." They might do a lot of things. They may extend him. Who knows?!?!??!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yeah "shopped"

Hey, wanna give up a 1st round pick for nice and shiny Darnell Mooney??? Click!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
PFF Brad mentioned it in a tweet a half hour ago. May be pure speculation but others have said he has a source or two. Who knows? I’m just here with my ?
Then he should have stated...according to sources, he is being shopped. Instead he writes may be shopped.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would make sense and I called it. I like Mooney, nothing against him. HOWEVER, the timing is pretty awful if this is true, like someone else said. Claypool (which as a fan of Claypool, this probably can go down as one of the worst trades in recent bears history up until today), can't even get on the field.

I find this to be highly speculative, would make sense if Claypool were healthy and showing actual value.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He’s a trash player
Might I suggest that you listen to a song from Disney's Frozen...

Mooney can go into the Chris Jones trade so we don't have to give up an extra draft pick.