My man Austin Booker catching eyes and breaking necks!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think they already have that.

DT from Illinois, Randolph, is a good backup at 1T while Pickens can back to his best position, 3T.

At this point, money is an issue and the Bears cannot hope to find an affordable DT who is good and somehow not a bank breaker sitting in around in Free Agency or soon to be cut.

There are 12 million left and the Bears need to keep a reserve in case of an unexpected injury replacement. Picking up a DE will take a good part, not great, of the remaining cap space.
Cap will go up with cuts so there may be some changes later but probably nothing right now before pads.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Cap will go up with cuts so there may be some changes later but probably nothing right now before pads.
No, not really.

The cap is set for the top 51 or so players. Cutting 54 to 90 will do nothing for the cap.

Yes, Borom can save 3 million but, with the current state of the Bears Ts, he might just make it.

I do not see any other player earning real money who will be cut.

You also have to remember that the 12 million or 15 million if Borom is cut has to go to any DE they might consider bringing in, a shocking DT who is actually good but whose dream was to play with Caleb so is willing to be well underpaid, a potential new contract for Teven and still have a safety net for injury. Kind of hard with only 12 to 15 million total.

One thing I can see is a short term (1-2 year) for Keenan with money moved around to create cap space in case of an unexpected cut which is a huge need for the Bears.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think they already have that.

DT from Illinois, Randolph, is a good backup at 1T while Pickens can back to his best position, 3T.

At this point, money is an issue and the Bears cannot hope to find an affordable DT who is good and somehow not a bank breaker sitting in around in Free Agency or soon to be cut.

There are 12 million left and the Bears need to keep a reserve in case of an unexpected injury replacement. Picking up a DE will take a good part, not great, of the remaining cap space.

Need to make sure Jones is fully healthy and the rookie from Yale with the unpronounceable name is too, or LT becomes a big need fast.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, not really.

The cap is set for the top 51 or so players. Cutting 54 to 90 will do nothing for the cap.

Yes, Borom can save 3 million but, with the current state of the Bears Ts, he might just make it.

You also have to remember that the 12 million or 15 million if Borom is cut has to go to any DE they might consider bringing in, a shocking DT who is actually good but whose dream was to play with Caleb so is willing to be well underpaid, a potential new contract for Teven and still have a safety net for injury. Kind of hard with only 12 to 15 million total.

One thing I can see is a short term (1-2 year) for Keenan with money moved around to create cap space in case of an unexpected cut which is a huge need for the Bears.
I was referring to final cuts. They usually keep some young low $ players so it will move. I think they kept 3 guys that weren't in the top 54 last year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I was referring to final cuts. They usually keep some young low $ players so it will move. I think they kept 3 guys that weren't in the top 54 last year.
I can see Borom and his 3 millions, Herbert (basically no salary cap relief) with his smaller salary and Velus (1.4 million minus 900k savings).

Who else am I missing (I am sure I am missing someone obvious)?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How many DE’s did they keep on the 53 last year? Think it was 4. If that’s all they take Booker and Martin may be it. If they really are that high on Booker and want to develop him I guess that makes sense in the long term. Although there will be short term growing pains.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can see Borom and his 3 millions, Herbert (basically no salary cap relief) with his smaller salary and Velus (1.4 million minus 900k savings).

Who knows? It still won't be a lot. but there will be enough options if Poles wants to make some tough choices and do something .

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How many DE’s did they keep on the 53 last year? Think it was 4. If that’s all they take Booker and Martin may be it. If they really are that high on Booker and want to develop him I guess that makes sense in the long term. Although there will be short term growing pains.
If they want to develop Booker instead of get him on the field right away, they could probably hide him and sneak him through waivers. Not a suggestion but we've seen it happen. We was still there at the back of round 5 so likely not a priority pickup without more film.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Not trying to be a pessimist, but we had these hopes for guys like Trevis Gipson and Dom Robinson, same hopes they could blossom into a nice rotational piece and be a late draft pick from in house that finally be the answer to a critical question--who gets home when Tez gets doubled/taken out of a play? It wasn't Dexter, or Walker, or Billings, Ngokue, or really anybody last year.

But let's keep some perspective. The dude's a 5th round pick, and the 12th DE/Edge taken in the draft--for a reason. Furthermore, I'm not convinced Eric Washington will get the extra we want to see out of him. In Buffalo, 1st round pick Greg Rousseau regressed under Wash, and its not like guys like Floyd, Lawson, Ed Oliver, and AJ Epenesa never had success prior to Washington arriving to Buffalo--so they hype around Washington 'developing a guy' is lost with me.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think the bears will still be looking for DE2 come the offseason, unless they take another flyer on a guy like Ngokue/one of the Lawsons and he produces.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If they want to develop Booker instead of get him on the field right away, they could probably hide him and sneak him through waivers. Not a suggestion but we've seen it happen. We was still there at the back of round 5 so likely not a priority pickup without more film.

Not a chance if he shows anything in preseason.

They spent a future 4th on the guy. He’s pretty close to a roster lock.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not trying to be a pessimist, but we had these hopes for guys like Trevis Gipson and Dom Robinson, same hopes they could blossom into a nice rotational piece and be a late draft pick from in house that finally be the answer to a critical question--who gets home when Tez gets doubled/taken out of a play? It wasn't Dexter, or Walker, or Billings, Ngokue, or really anybody last year.

But let's keep some perspective. The dude's a 5th round pick, and the 12th DE/Edge taken in the draft--for a reason. Furthermore, I'm not convinced Eric Washington will get the extra we want to see out of him. In Buffalo, 1st round pick Greg Rousseau regressed under Wash, and its not like guys like Floyd, Lawson, Ed Oliver, and AJ Epenesa never had success prior to Washington arriving to Buffalo--so they hype around Washington 'developing a guy' is lost with me.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think the bears will still be looking for DE2 come the offseason, unless they take another flyer on a guy like Ngokue/one of the Lawsons and he produces.

I’d be shocked if one of the first 3 picks isn’t an edge.

Of course I probably said that about center last year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not a chance if he shows anything in preseason.

They spent a future 4th on the guy. He’s pretty close to a roster lock.
Of course that's the case. That's why I said 'if they hide him'. That said, I just checked and thought he went later in the round than he did but higher picks than that sneak through. That sure wouldn't be saving $ but more about a roster spot if they'd like Booker on the PS. To be clear, these are not predictions and I'd like to see what Booker can do.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No, not really.

I've been saying this since early last year, re-sign DJ Moore. Not sure what else they would need to see from this guy to know he's the perfect guy, on and off the field, that you want on your team long term. The guy is pretty much everything you want in a #1 WR and he's a great teammate and person. Re-sign him and move some of that money around to create some more space this year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Is Khari Blasingame really that big of a need for us? I mean i like the guy but not sure he's a huge need for us and maybe guys like Roschon and Mercedes Lewis could take care of his blocking assignments he does for us.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ouch, don't think he would be able to be hidden and make it through waivers.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Well this is a discouraging thing to read about Washington. Hope you're wrong about him.