My thoughts on Harbaugh

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I know there are other Harbaugh and coaching threads, but I wanted to put all my thoughts out there so they don't get lost in a thread.

Harbaugh is a popular choice for several reasons. He is clearly a good leader. Former NFL QB, nicknamed Captain Comeback for the way he put his teams on his back to comeback from a deficit. He led on the field. He has led off the field. 44-19 at the NFL level. 90-45 in college. Took a team to the Superbowl. Took Michigan to the national playoff this year. 0 losing seasons since his first 2 at Stanford in a rebuild. Only one .500 season, his last in the NFL. He's a winner. No doubt about it.

That being said, the goal shouldn't be to win a bunch of games. The goal is to build a team that can perennially compete for and win championships. While Harbaugh has gotten there, he's never gotten over the hump. Lost the Superbowl. Lost now what is 5 straight bowl games. Lost to Ohio State repeatedly, until the year. But to be honest, I don't even care about his big game performance. I care about the reason for the failure in big games. I care about the reason for not being able to beat Ohio State. And the reason he's not been able to get over the hump, IMO, is the QB position.

This is a QB driven league. Other than a couple instances, we've seen teams that consistently are playoff teams are the ones with elite, HOF level QB play. Green Bay, NE with Brady, TB went from 7 wins to SB with Brady, KC has now been 1-2 seed three straight years, Saints were there consistently with Brees, Steelers before Ben got fat. The Bears finally have a QB with potentially this level of QB play. And ironically enough, the former QB (Harbaugh) can't seem to figure out the QB position. Sure he got some good years out of Kaepernick in SF, and took him to the Superbowl. But the passing offenses in SF? 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th in Harbaugh's 4 seasons. His history at Michigan isn't much better. His teams are typically in the 60s in passing offense out of 111 FBS teams. He hasn't developed a single QB at Michigan despite literally handpicking all of them in the last 5-6 years. This is a huge red flag to me.

I'm sure Harbaugh can come into Chicago and rebuild things and in a couple years will be winning 10 games consistently. Maybe he even wins a ring. But as crazy as it sounds, I dont want to win 10 games consistently and maybe get a ring. I want sustained success. I want no losing seasons in 18 years like the Steelers. I want when the Bears score 20 points everyone is wondering if defenses have figured out their offense, then when you look at the end of the season they are top 3 in scoring and total offense like the Cowboys and Chiefs. I want the Packers only ammo against Bears fans to be "well you only got 1 ring out of 8 NFC championship games". And the ONLY way to do that with the current Bears roster is on the arm of Justin Fields. He's been a top 2 QB for several years. He's a 5 star recruit. He was a top 2 talent in this draft, despite falling to 11. He has the ability to be as good as the elite QBs in the league who's teams you pencil in the playoffs in August. Harbaugh can certainly win games, but he hasn't shown he has the ability to develop a QB to that level or the longevity to see it through. I don't see the upside in a guy who's track record is basically to have the same amount of success as Lovie Smith. Lovie won 9-10 games consistently enough. He led the team to a SB loss.

And to be completely honest, the love for Harbaugh just doesn't sit right with me. Bears fans are notorious for reminiscing about the "good ol days". 1985 Bears were magical. We talk fondly about legendary Bears players. And most Bears fans would like nothing more than 1 of our "heroes" to come in and lead the Bears back to the promised land. Well, reality check.....there aren't many good old days that most Bears fans remember. And Harbaugh certainly was not part of any of those with his 2 winning seasons out of 6 as Bears QB, and a grand total of ZERO playoff wins (he played terrible in the 1 playoff game, FWIW). I've seen people on Twitter suggest a staff including Harbaugh, Kreutz, Urlacher, Mike Brown, etc. For what? What have any of them proven as coaches? What did any of them do for the franchise as players as far as adding hardware to the trophy case? The Bears have never had a 4000 yard passer. They're scoring 18 per game when elite teams are consistently putting up 30. They are spending almost twice as much on defense in an offensive league. They have a 1-man analytics department. They have an accountant overseeing football operations. Moves like Harbaugh, who wins on defense and running the ball, reeks of more of the same. The Bears (and their fans) need to get out of the past and embrace the current.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe Jim can build a consistent winner with the right front office guys (Trace Armstrong, Jeff Ireland, who the fuck ever).

Just give him the guys he needs. He can lead a team. He can turn rookies from boys into men. He can do it all.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
FYI, while I enjoyed reading your novel, it would help if you broke up your huge sections into more paragraphs. A paragraph should typically be 3-5 sentences.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I know there are other Harbaugh and coaching threads, but I wanted to put all my thoughts out there so they don't get lost in a thread.

Harbaugh is a popular choice for several reasons. He is clearly a good leader. Former NFL QB, nicknamed Captain Comeback for the way he put his teams on his back to comeback from a deficit. He led on the field. He has led off the field. 44-19 at the NFL level. 90-45 in college. Took a team to the Superbowl. Took Michigan to the national playoff this year. 0 losing seasons since his first 2 at Stanford in a rebuild. Only one .500 season, his last in the NFL. He's a winner. No doubt about it.

That being said, the goal shouldn't be to win a bunch of games. The goal is to build a team that can perennially compete for and win championships. While Harbaugh has gotten there, he's never gotten over the hump. Lost the Superbowl. Lost now what is 5 straight bowl games. Lost to Ohio State repeatedly, until the year. But to be honest, I don't even care about his big game performance. I care about the reason for the failure in big games. I care about the reason for not being able to beat Ohio State. And the reason he's not been able to get over the hump, IMO, is the QB position.

This is a QB driven league. Other than a couple instances, we've seen teams that consistently are playoff teams are the ones with elite, HOF level QB play. Green Bay, NE with Brady, TB went from 7 wins to SB with Brady, KC has now been 1-2 seed three straight years, Saints were there consistently with Brees, Steelers before Ben got fat. The Bears finally have a QB with potentially this level of QB play. And ironically enough, the former QB (Harbaugh) can't seem to figure out the QB position. Sure he got some good years out of Kaepernick in SF, and took him to the Superbowl. But the passing offenses in SF? 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th in Harbaugh's 4 seasons. His history at Michigan isn't much better. His teams are typically in the 60s in passing offense out of 111 FBS teams. He hasn't developed a single QB at Michigan despite literally handpicking all of them in the last 5-6 years. This is a huge red flag to me.

I'm sure Harbaugh can come into Chicago and rebuild things and in a couple years will be winning 10 games consistently. Maybe he even wins a ring. But as crazy as it sounds, I dont want to win 10 games consistently and maybe get a ring. I want sustained success. I want no losing seasons in 18 years like the Steelers. I want when the Bears score 20 points everyone is wondering if defenses have figured out their offense, then when you look at the end of the season they are top 3 in scoring and total offense like the Cowboys and Chiefs. I want the Packers only ammo against Bears fans to be "well you only got 1 ring out of 8 NFC championship games". And the ONLY way to do that with the current Bears roster is on the arm of Justin Fields. He's been a top 2 QB for several years. He's a 5 star recruit. He was a top 2 talent in this draft, despite falling to 11. He has the ability to be as good as the elite QBs in the league who's teams you pencil in the playoffs in August. Harbaugh can certainly win games, but he hasn't shown he has the ability to develop a QB to that level or the longevity to see it through. I don't see the upside in a guy who's track record is basically to have the same amount of success as Lovie Smith. Lovie won 9-10 games consistently enough. He led the team to a SB loss.

And to be completely honest, the love for Harbaugh just doesn't sit right with me. Bears fans are notorious for reminiscing about the "good ol days". 1985 Bears were magical. We talk fondly about legendary Bears players. And most Bears fans would like nothing more than 1 of our "heroes" to come in and lead the Bears back to the promised land. Well, reality check.....there aren't many good old days that most Bears fans remember. And Harbaugh certainly was not part of any of those with his 2 winning seasons out of 6 as Bears QB, and a grand total of ZERO playoff wins (he played terrible in the 1 playoff game, FWIW). I've seen people on Twitter suggest a staff including Harbaugh, Kreutz, Urlacher, Mike Brown, etc. For what? What have any of them proven as coaches? What did any of them do for the franchise as players as far as adding hardware to the trophy case? The Bears have never had a 4000 yard passer. They're scoring 18 per game when elite teams are consistently putting up 30. They are spending almost twice as much on defense in an offensive league. They have a 1-man analytics department. They have an accountant overseeing football operations. Moves like Harbaugh, who wins on defense and running the ball, reeks of more of the same. The Bears (and their fans) need to get out of the past and embrace the current.
So basically you're a no to Harbaugh because he can't win the big games.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I believe Jim can build a consistent winner with the right front office guys (Trace Armstrong, Jeff Ireland, who the fuck ever).

Just give him the guys he needs. He can lead a team. He can turn rookies from boys into men. He can do it all.
Based on?

Trace Armstrong has 0 experience. Ireland does, and it was a PR mess with 1 playoff season (his 1st season), with 0 playoff wins and the only time his team had a winning record.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
There is no one out that is proven to give you want so it is a crap shoot and Harbaugh is as good of a roll as anyone else.
I didn't say I wanted a proven coach. I want a proven QB developer, or at the very least, someone who hasn't proven the opposite.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
44-19-1
3 NFC Chamionship games and a Superbowl

Yeah who would want that

And you think he can do that again with the 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th ranked passing offenses again?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
So basically you're a no to Harbaugh because he can't win the big games.

I literally said, I don't care about the results in the big games. The point is, he hasn't shown he can develop a QB and the Bears have a QB worth developing.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I literally said, I don't care about the results in the big games. The point is, he hasn't shown he can develop a QB and the Bears have a QB worth developing.
Bullshit...He saved A. Smith's career and turned him around...He was a bust till Jim took over

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields>Kaepernick

is about the most relevant point.
The Harbaugh system is a dream for dual threat QBs. That is partially why you see an MVP Lamar Jackson, and a Super Bowl appearance from Kaepernick, and why they were in those places in the first place.

so Harbaugh is a perfect fit. It’s almost a fit of destiny, where he coached against Fields at his rival and lost to him while growing admiration.
Fields gets drafted into the one job Harbaugh would probably consider over the one he has.
Surely a little frustration is built up at Michigan, I mean I’m sure his job wasn’t even safe this year without the success he had. That alone could be a reason where the perfect NFL job and QB lined up for him, and he got Michigan as far as anyone can right now.
If he’s gonna go the time is now. Fresh off a final 4 appearance is the perfect time to leave college because you can come back anywhere if you want later.
Now is the time to make the run with the Bears, and he holds the magic of late 80’s Soldier Field in his DNA. He isn’t the creation blood of 1985…however, he is at least the offspring, and breathed the air from the magic the fans made in the years immediately after 85.

you guys laugh and say I’m high as fuck, star kush 23% btw, but from here the leaves are clear, this is fucking happening, and I’ve got some bias so emotional, factoring that in, it feels like it’s something on the table and Harbaugh is mulling over, his love for Michigan is real and great, and this bears thing is something that has been discussed and joked about and legitimately dreamt about for years and years.
Fangio got fired today, so this is also one of 2 or 3 ways to get Fangs back as well.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He saved A. Smith's career and turned him around
Did he? Or did Greg Roman? One has handpicked QBs in college and hasn't developed another since. The other has developed an MVP and his backup.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
What is with the infatuation of Trace Armstrong running the Bears? Have I missed something? Isn't he just an agent?

Ya know what, fuck it!

Armstrong for Team President
Singletary for GM
Frazier for HC
Briggs for DC
Grossman for OC
Kreutz for O-line Coach at $17.65 an hour

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Nice write up... The Bears need a complete reboot similar to the Bulls and what they have done with AK, Eversley and Billy D.

Pace took a shot at modernizing the franchise and did some excellent things as GM but ultimately was probably a bit too green when they hired him. His misfire on Trubisky ultimately cost him a chance to have a successful legacy in Chicago. The 2018 team he built was ready to win big at every spot but the most important. If the QB was better, that dipshit kicker would not have mattered.

He needs to go along with Phillips and Nagy.

I want fresh faces with a strategic plan that can build a foundation that leads to consistent winning and longevity. Wash, rinse, repeat is a cycle that is a trademark of losing organizations.

If Harbaugh is or isn’t part of that plan, I really don’t care. I just want results.

Last edited:

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Did he? Or did Greg Roman? One has handpicked QBs in college and hasn't developed another since. The other has developed an MVP and his backup.
lol who do you want...Give us names

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
lol who do you want...Give us names
I want an offense that maximizes Justin Fields. Doesn't have to be an offensive coordinator, but if not, it should be a guy that can potentially bring along an OC to maximize Fields.

Josh McDaniels is probably my top choice. But I also like Brian Daboll, Kellen Moore, Kevin O'Connell (Rams OC), Nathaniel Hackett. Defensive guys I like are Matt Eberflus and Raheem Morris. Greg Roman and Todd Bowles would be OK, I guess. Harbaugh would probably be OK for a few years, but I don't think the big picture is as bright as the immediate one.