My thoughts on Harbaugh

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Maybe….just maybe they were ranked that bad because of Matt Nagys offense

LOL. Those were the rankings of the Harbaugh led passing offenses in San Francisco. Like I also pointed out in the original post. I know it was a lot to read, but probably should read it if you're going to make uninformed smart ass comments. IDK

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Solid write up and argument. Personally, I'm no expert at picking NFL head coaches. He would be a solid choice as he has shown his ability as such in the NFL. I'm not comfortable with the Bears doing any experimentation at HC at this point, ala Trestman or Nagy.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I want an offense that maximizes Justin Fields. Doesn't have to be an offensive coordinator, but if not, it should be a guy that can potentially bring along an OC to maximize Fields.

Josh McDaniels is probably my top choice. But I also like Brian Daboll, Kellen Moore, Kevin O'Connell (Rams OC), Nathaniel Hackett. Defensive guys I like are Matt Eberflus and Raheem Morris. Greg Roman and Todd Bowles would be OK, I guess. Harbaugh would probably be OK for a few years, but I don't think the big picture is as bright as the immediate one.
And who has Josh boy develop at QB? Don't even say Tom

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I literally said, I don't care about the results in the big games. The point is, he hasn't shown he can develop a QB and the Bears have a QB worth developing.
Sorry it was just that 3 of your paragraphs were based around not winning the big games.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
And who has Josh boy develop at QB? Don't even say Tom

Hmm. Tough question. This would be an easy question to answer if he had the only successful rookie QB this year leading his team to the playoffs.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Moves like Harbaugh, who wins on defense and running the ball, reeks of more of the same. The Bears (and their fans) need to get out of the past and embrace the current.

Back in the day Harbaugh completely changed his offense when they swapped qb's mid season from Alex Smith to Kaepernick.

DO IT NOW! MONDAY PRESS CONFERENCE INTRODUCING JIM!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Did he? Or did Greg Roman? One has handpicked QBs in college and hasn't developed another since. The other has developed an MVP and his backup.
Can't wait until that MVP can throw a damn ball. So Roman taught him how to run.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I know there are other Harbaugh and coaching threads, but I wanted to put all my thoughts out there so they don't get lost in a thread.

Harbaugh is a popular choice for several reasons. He is clearly a good leader. Former NFL QB, nicknamed Captain Comeback for the way he put his teams on his back to comeback from a deficit. He led on the field. He has led off the field. 44-19 at the NFL level. 90-45 in college. Took a team to the Superbowl. Took Michigan to the national playoff this year. 0 losing seasons since his first 2 at Stanford in a rebuild. Only one .500 season, his last in the NFL. He's a winner. No doubt about it.

That being said, the goal shouldn't be to win a bunch of games. The goal is to build a team that can perennially compete for and win championships. While Harbaugh has gotten there, he's never gotten over the hump. Lost the Superbowl. Lost now what is 5 straight bowl games. Lost to Ohio State repeatedly, until the year. But to be honest, I don't even care about his big game performance. I care about the reason for the failure in big games. I care about the reason for not being able to beat Ohio State. And the reason he's not been able to get over the hump, IMO, is the QB position.

This is a QB driven league. Other than a couple instances, we've seen teams that consistently are playoff teams are the ones with elite, HOF level QB play. Green Bay, NE with Brady, TB went from 7 wins to SB with Brady, KC has now been 1-2 seed three straight years, Saints were there consistently with Brees, Steelers before Ben got fat. The Bears finally have a QB with potentially this level of QB play. And ironically enough, the former QB (Harbaugh) can't seem to figure out the QB position. Sure he got some good years out of Kaepernick in SF, and took him to the Superbowl. But the passing offenses in SF? 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th in Harbaugh's 4 seasons. His history at Michigan isn't much better. His teams are typically in the 60s in passing offense out of 111 FBS teams. He hasn't developed a single QB at Michigan despite literally handpicking all of them in the last 5-6 years. This is a huge red flag to me.

I'm sure Harbaugh can come into Chicago and rebuild things and in a couple years will be winning 10 games consistently. Maybe he even wins a ring. But as crazy as it sounds, I dont want to win 10 games consistently and maybe get a ring. I want sustained success. I want no losing seasons in 18 years like the Steelers. I want when the Bears score 20 points everyone is wondering if defenses have figured out their offense, then when you look at the end of the season they are top 3 in scoring and total offense like the Cowboys and Chiefs. I want the Packers only ammo against Bears fans to be "well you only got 1 ring out of 8 NFC championship games". And the ONLY way to do that with the current Bears roster is on the arm of Justin Fields. He's been a top 2 QB for several years. He's a 5 star recruit. He was a top 2 talent in this draft, despite falling to 11. He has the ability to be as good as the elite QBs in the league who's teams you pencil in the playoffs in August. Harbaugh can certainly win games, but he hasn't shown he has the ability to develop a QB to that level or the longevity to see it through. I don't see the upside in a guy who's track record is basically to have the same amount of success as Lovie Smith. Lovie won 9-10 games consistently enough. He led the team to a SB loss.

And to be completely honest, the love for Harbaugh just doesn't sit right with me. Bears fans are notorious for reminiscing about the "good ol days". 1985 Bears were magical. We talk fondly about legendary Bears players. And most Bears fans would like nothing more than 1 of our "heroes" to come in and lead the Bears back to the promised land. Well, reality check.....there aren't many good old days that most Bears fans remember. And Harbaugh certainly was not part of any of those with his 2 winning seasons out of 6 as Bears QB, and a grand total of ZERO playoff wins (he played terrible in the 1 playoff game, FWIW). I've seen people on Twitter suggest a staff including Harbaugh, Kreutz, Urlacher, Mike Brown, etc. For what? What have any of them proven as coaches? What did any of them do for the franchise as players as far as adding hardware to the trophy case? The Bears have never had a 4000 yard passer. They're scoring 18 per game when elite teams are consistently putting up 30. They are spending almost twice as much on defense in an offensive league. They have a 1-man analytics department. They have an accountant overseeing football operations. Moves like Harbaugh, who wins on defense and running the ball, reeks of more of the same. The Bears (and their fans) need to get out of the past and embrace the current.
Good post in many regards, I can't decide on Harbaugh personally there is something about him that I don't really like or trust just can't put my finger on it. I do think this has a high probability of happening if so hope it works out.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And you think he can do that again with the 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th ranked passing offenses again?

Hopefully the new GM fixes that by bringing in tons of offensive talent. I really want Dallas level WR talent here.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Hopefully the new GM fixes that by bringing in tons of offensive talent. I really want Dallas level WR talent here.

There is YOUNG Talent on offense. The sky is the limit. Just need a wr really. Herbert is going to be a STUD. Mooney is a good #2.

The Bears vs Raiders. All things being equal, money, years, personnel discussions. If you get down to the details Harbaugh is a midwestern guy. He will get so much more street cred for his future hall of fame recognition if he develops a qb and wins in Chicago over taking a gig with the Raiders with an established 30 year old QB.

He got to scout and watch Fields going up against his michigan teams.

Maybe he thinks justin can play a little like Kaepernick . . . ? . . . woah

IT'S A DONE DEAL BOYZ . . . HE COMING TO CHICAGO

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
What is with the infatuation with Trace Armstrong running the Bears? Have I missed something? Isn't he just an agent?

Ya know what, fuck it!

Armstrong for Team President
Singletary for GM
Frazier for HC
Briggs for DC
Grossman for OC
Kreutz for O-line Coach at $17.65 an hour
Grossman at OC would give me the biggest boner of all time. Every play egging Fields into unleashing the dragon? Can he dust off the ol Sex Cannon one last time if we need a backup to come in?

The only problem is that we'd have him for one year before he accepts a head coaching position elsewhere

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jimmy on the radar again? I thought it was proven grown athletes can't tolerate him for long.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Jimmy on the radar again? I thought it was proven grown athletes can't tolerate him for long.

The saltiness usually stems for say in key personnel decisions . . . nothing more nothing less

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I know there are other Harbaugh and coaching threads, but I wanted to put all my thoughts out there so they don't get lost in a thread.

Harbaugh is a popular choice for several reasons. He is clearly a good leader. Former NFL QB, nicknamed Captain Comeback for the way he put his teams on his back to comeback from a deficit. He led on the field. He has led off the field. 44-19 at the NFL level. 90-45 in college. Took a team to the Superbowl. Took Michigan to the national playoff this year. 0 losing seasons since his first 2 at Stanford in a rebuild. Only one .500 season, his last in the NFL. He's a winner. No doubt about it.

That being said, the goal shouldn't be to win a bunch of games. The goal is to build a team that can perennially compete for and win championships. While Harbaugh has gotten there, he's never gotten over the hump. Lost the Superbowl. Lost now what is 5 straight bowl games. Lost to Ohio State repeatedly, until the year. But to be honest, I don't even care about his big game performance. I care about the reason for the failure in big games. I care about the reason for not being able to beat Ohio State. And the reason he's not been able to get over the hump, IMO, is the QB position.

This is a QB driven league. Other than a couple instances, we've seen teams that consistently are playoff teams are the ones with elite, HOF level QB play. Green Bay, NE with Brady, TB went from 7 wins to SB with Brady, KC has now been 1-2 seed three straight years, Saints were there consistently with Brees, Steelers before Ben got fat. The Bears finally have a QB with potentially this level of QB play. And ironically enough, the former QB (Harbaugh) can't seem to figure out the QB position. Sure he got some good years out of Kaepernick in SF, and took him to the Superbowl. But the passing offenses in SF? 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th in Harbaugh's 4 seasons. His history at Michigan isn't much better. His teams are typically in the 60s in passing offense out of 111 FBS teams. He hasn't developed a single QB at Michigan despite literally handpicking all of them in the last 5-6 years. This is a huge red flag to me.

I'm sure Harbaugh can come into Chicago and rebuild things and in a couple years will be winning 10 games consistently. Maybe he even wins a ring. But as crazy as it sounds, I dont want to win 10 games consistently and maybe get a ring. I want sustained success. I want no losing seasons in 18 years like the Steelers. I want when the Bears score 20 points everyone is wondering if defenses have figured out their offense, then when you look at the end of the season they are top 3 in scoring and total offense like the Cowboys and Chiefs. I want the Packers only ammo against Bears fans to be "well you only got 1 ring out of 8 NFC championship games". And the ONLY way to do that with the current Bears roster is on the arm of Justin Fields. He's been a top 2 QB for several years. He's a 5 star recruit. He was a top 2 talent in this draft, despite falling to 11. He has the ability to be as good as the elite QBs in the league who's teams you pencil in the playoffs in August. Harbaugh can certainly win games, but he hasn't shown he has the ability to develop a QB to that level or the longevity to see it through. I don't see the upside in a guy who's track record is basically to have the same amount of success as Lovie Smith. Lovie won 9-10 games consistently enough. He led the team to a SB loss.

And to be completely honest, the love for Harbaugh just doesn't sit right with me. Bears fans are notorious for reminiscing about the "good ol days". 1985 Bears were magical. We talk fondly about legendary Bears players. And most Bears fans would like nothing more than 1 of our "heroes" to come in and lead the Bears back to the promised land. Well, reality check.....there aren't many good old days that most Bears fans remember. And Harbaugh certainly was not part of any of those with his 2 winning seasons out of 6 as Bears QB, and a grand total of ZERO playoff wins (he played terrible in the 1 playoff game, FWIW). I've seen people on Twitter suggest a staff including Harbaugh, Kreutz, Urlacher, Mike Brown, etc. For what? What have any of them proven as coaches? What did any of them do for the franchise as players as far as adding hardware to the trophy case? The Bears have never had a 4000 yard passer. They're scoring 18 per game when elite teams are consistently putting up 30. They are spending almost twice as much on defense in an offensive league. They have a 1-man analytics department. They have an accountant overseeing football operations. Moves like Harbaugh, who wins on defense and running the ball, reeks of more of the same. The Bears (and their fans) need to get out of the past and embrace the current.
You’re really echoing what my gut’s been telling me. I’ve been uneasy about Harbaugh, yet couldn’t figure out why. You really nailed it.

We will win with him, but I doubt we ever win a big one. He’s not really what we need. I get it.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
And you think he can do that again with the 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th ranked passing offenses again?
You forget what he did with San Fran? They sucked before he came and turned Alex Smith around. Everywhere he has went, he turned teams into winners.