Nagy is scaling back the offensive approach

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the bolded were true, there is no fucking way in the world He should have been hired.
"Hey, lets give this guy 5 years and see if he runs a competent offense... and then if it turns out key positions on the offense cannot handle it, we can replace them and wait another 5 years!!"

I call massive amounts of BS on that premise.

He said it took Alex Smith 5 years to MASTER the offense.

Which seems more reasonable.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Im still waiting on you to answer mine.

Yoy said Naggy has scaled back the playbook twice, when did he do it the first time?

Thanks

We still don't know if he's doing it now. Some of us just don't think it's a big deal or may even be a good thing and not just for Mitch.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
He has already done this. He has limited the playbook going into the season.

He's doing it again.

Im confused as to why after 15 NFL starts, Bears fans think this is a good thing.

It's not.
15 starts? This is 3 games with Nagy's offense.

Why are you saying it's a bad thing?

If the Offense is concentrating on the plays that work, that's a good thing. This system is new to every starter. It's good to let Trub master fewer plays. You can expand from there. It's a good thing.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Even if in the next 5 games, including a bye week, he is still playing the same with no noticeable improvement? Not saying that will be the case...but what if it is?

What's the premise of the question?

They're not pulling the plug on Mitch at any point this year. They're just not. It's not happening.

Entertaining even that possibility is the mental equivalent of pulling your pudd.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Aww how cute, post something with no context. Let's give it context, Two of Mitch's picks haven't been bad decisions, all of Glennon's were. Glennon couldn't do shit in a simple pop warner level offense, Mitch is running an NFL offense.

Bad decisions? Maybe no. Bad throws? Definitely.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Which of Daniel’s 70 career passes over his 10-year career makes you guys think he’d be a better option than Trubisky?

Washington

Liked Posts:
If the bolded were true, there is no fucking way in the world He should have been hired.
"Hey, lets give this guy 5 years and see if he runs a competent offense... and then if it turns out key positions on the offense cannot handle it, we can replace them and wait another 5 years!!"

I call massive amounts of BS on that premise.

There have been various instances of what Nagy and Childress said. Some have been previously posted along the months. The following is what I just found from Childress. Clearly, there is a big difference in 3-5 years than 5 years but as Windy noted, it was said that it took Smith 5 years to master it.

“Nobody likes to hear it, but guys don’t really hit their strides in this offense probably until their third, fourth and fifth years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-brad-childress-consultant-20180205-story.html

Edit:

Did just find this quote from Nagy for what it is worth. It does not state that it takes 5 years to get competent per se. The "5 years" thing seemed to get used a few times between Childress and Nagy.

“They understand that in Kansas City it took us 5 years to get [where] we got to,” he said after a recent practice. “We’re kind of at a pace right now where we have to, at times, pull back and say to yourself: we’re months into this thing, not years.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2018/06/01/offense-needs-time-to-adjust-to-nagys-system/a5fdre/

Another portion of that article which seems relevant to the topic::

Backup quarterback Chase Daniel played for the Chiefs in 2013 when coach Andy Reid arrived there and installed the offense from which Nagy’s is derived. Nagy was the quarterbacks coach at the time.

Daniel estimates the Bears have installed 10 times as many plays as the Chiefs had in the spring 5 years ago. Nagy’s purpose at this stage, which he has referred to as Football 101, is to give Trubisky a lot to digest in order to gauge what he does well.

“The fact that we’re able to get lined up and compete with a defense that has 10 of 11 guys coming back, it’s pretty cool,”
Daniel said.

Because Daniel and third-stringer Tyler Bray have years of experience in the scheme, they know during a play to make certain decisions that Trubisky hasn’t been exposed to yet. Those instances have prompted Trubisky to talk through those situations with the veterans.

“He might have the same play two or three times [from] different formations … because you’re going to see it against five different coverages,” Daniel explained. “These are our bread-and-butter plays. So he’s starting to understand, learn it and get to the Football 202, 303. And not only does he have to know what he’s doing, he also has to know what 10 other guys are doing. We’re just growing into it as we go.”

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
15 starts? This is 3 games with Nagy's offense.

Why are you saying it's a bad thing?

If the Offense is concentrating on the plays that work, that's a good thing. This system is new to every starter. It's good to let Trub master fewer plays. You can expand from there. It's a good thing.

The problem is that it continues a pattern that began last season. Fox did not think Trubisky was ready to run the O to start the season. After being pressured to put him in last season, Fox was noted to have "put the restricter plate" on and limited the playbook.

This coincides with him not only making bad throws in games, but bad decisions.

It's a continued pattern of Trubisky seemingly not being able to process things and make decisions at game speed.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
a good question is ...... did Fox keep Trubisky out because Fox did not think Trubisky was ready to run the O? Or ..... did Pace instruct Fox to keep Trubisky on the bench learning because Pace's plan was to let Glennon run the O until Trubisky was ready to run it?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a natural step with a QB bust in which the HC dummies it down for the dummy.

Madden

Liked Posts:
there are only 9 offensive players in those plays......I'd advise against it.

Nagy's gonna scale back 2 players to simplify the offense. #innovation

ER5KDLc.gif

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
There have been various instances of what Nagy and Childress said. Some have been previously posted along the months. The following is what I just found from Childress. Clearly, there is a big difference in 3-5 years than 5 years but as Windy noted, it was said that it took Smith 5 years to master it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-brad-childress-consultant-20180205-story.html

Edit:

Did just find this quote from Nagy for what it is worth. It does not state that it takes 5 years to get competent per se. The "5 years" thing seemed to get used a few times between Childress and Nagy.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2018/06/01/offense-needs-time-to-adjust-to-nagys-system/a5fdre/

Another portion of that article which seems relevant to the topic::

I've read that it takes 5 years for someone to become a competent poster on CCS. Case in point, your "Join Date" is March 2016.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Which of Daniel’s 70 career passes over his 10-year career makes you guys think he’d be a better option than Trubisky?

For me, it's not that he will definitely be better than Trubs.

It would be because at that point, Mitch obviously isnt learning by doing, so watching from the sideline may give him a different vantage point. And it may keep him from being turned on by the rest of the team. Talk about our offensive TOP all you want. If he keeps missing open WRs, they are going to get more and more frustrated. If the defense feels the offense is holding the team back, the same for them. If we are like 7-2, that wont be much of an issue. But if we're 5-4 and on the cusp? Changing the QB may be the key to give everyone a jumpstart for a late season push.

And hope Trubs turns in a Mahomes like performance in his 2nd season in this offense...

Washington

Liked Posts:
I've read that it takes 5 years for someone to become a competent poster on CCS. Case in point, your "Join Date" is March 2016.

Given your join date (August 2018), you have far more time to wait than me. Don't be too hard on yourself. Give yourself some time. You'll be OK. Well, that assumes you are allowed to stay here.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Why does this even need to be put out to the public?

Sounds like Nagy covering himself and throwing Trubs under the bus a little

Although I will say you don’t really see Nagy in the article say he’s scaling things back. Mitch implies it but I don’t see anything from Nagy in there about it. So maybe I shouldn’t be going after him.

And Mitch’s whole thing about people liking easier tests. That’s not what he should be saying. He should be saying the exact opposite. You don’t tell the media you’re happy things are being scaled back. You give some canned answer about how you always want to be improving and learning. You definitely don’t imply that you’re content with things being made easier for you. (Or maybe I just misunderstood that exchange. Kind of just skimmed through the article.)

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reading through this thread is quite similar to reading what the media has to say. A lot of people jumping to conclusions on what they think is going on, taking it as fact, and running with it. Plenty of false statements made here. But if you say things over and over enough they start to sound like facts around here. They are not.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does this even need to be put out to the public?

Sounds like Nagy covering himself and throwing Trubs under the bus a little

Although I will say you don’t really see Nagy in the article say he’s scaling things back. Mitch implies it but I don’t see anything from Nagy in there about it. So maybe I shouldn’t be going after him.

And Mitch’s whole thing about people liking easier tests. That’s not what he should be saying. He should be saying the exact opposite. You don’t tell the media you’re happy things are being scaled back. You give some canned answer about how you always want to be improving and learning. You definitely don’t imply that you’re content with things being made easier for you. (Or maybe I just misunderstood that exchange. Kind of just skimmed through the article.)

Holy over thinking it Batman.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy has been nothing but transparent....we shouldn't be surprised he is still being transparent......

Mitch has been very good when the plays are scripted and he knows exactly what to do....

This is why they are reducing his workload and letting him run the things he knows at a faster pace.

Trubisky's first quarter stats (when the scripted plays occur)

20/25 80%

8.0 YPA

1 TD

0 INT

113 QBR

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
Nagy has been nothing but transparent....we shouldn't be surprised he is still being transparent......

Mitch has been very good when the plays are scripted and he knows exactly what to do....

This is why they are reducing his workload and letting him run the things he knows at a faster pace.

Trubisky's first quarter stats (when the scripted plays occur)

20/25 80%

8.0 YPA

1 TD

0 INT

113 QBR

Nothing like the facts that paint the true picture. Good work, modo!