NBA DRAFT LOTTERY & DRAFT IGT 2023

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Can someone explain to me why is it during the NBA DRAFT when there is a trade the league insists on keeping the original team in the slot of the pick... For example, the Bulls drafted Julian Phillips but ESPN says it's Boston's pick? Does that mean the trade is not final? It's just really confusing to follow.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can someone explain to me why is it during the NBA DRAFT when there is a trade the league insists on keeping the original team in the slot of the pick... For example, the Bulls drafted Julian Phillips but ESPN says it's Boston's pick? Does that mean the trade is not final? It's just really confusing to follow.

I think it actually is that it's not an official trade yet

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think it actually is that it's not an official trade yet
That is what I thought. It’s just weird because the pick already happened. What happens if the trade doesn’t go through? Then the other team is stuck with a player they didn’t draft. It doesn’t make sense to me.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That is what I thought. It’s just weird because the pick already happened. What happens if the trade doesn’t go through? Then the other team is stuck with a player they didn’t draft. It doesn’t make sense to me.
Except they did draft him ??

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

A lot of trades revolves around contracts that can't legally be made until July 6th or whatever the date is.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The Wizards got that pick from the Celtics on Wednesday in the 3 way trade involving Porzingis and Smart. I thought that trade was official. But if not and it was backed out, the Celtics would be getting a player they didn’t draft. That makes no sense.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Wizards got that pick from the Celtics on Wednesday in the 3 way trade involving Porzingis and Smart. I thought that trade was official. But if not and it was backed out, the Celtics would be getting a player they didn’t draft. That makes no sense.
This might be a bigger deal if it was a 1st rounder, but at that stage in the draft they probably don't care. And technically I guess even if the Porzingis trade blew up, Bulls could still then do the trade with Boston directly. Boston isn't necessarily "stuck" with the player.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This might be a bigger deal if it was a 1st rounder, but at that stage in the draft they probably don't care. And technically I guess even if the Porzingis trade blew up, Bulls could still then do the trade with Boston directly. Boston isn't necessarily "stuck" with the player.
I mean you are right. And the trade will happen. I just don’t like how they format this. When I look up Porzingis, ESPN says he is a member of the Celtics. Yet, they also have Phillips listed as drafted by the Celtics at 35 which is false. They gave that pick up on Wednesday. He would only be a member of the Celtics if it all fell through. Therefore, to be consistent with their own logic, if they are going to wait till it’s official to list Phillips as a pick by the Bulls, they should also still list Porzingis on the Wizards.

Why does this matter? People want to be able to look at the draft picks listed and see what teams they are going to actually play for with out puzzling it together with the back story one by one.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean you are right. And the trade will happen. I just don’t like how they format this. When I look up Porzingis, ESPN says he is a member of the Celtics. Yet, they also have Phillips listed as drafted by the Celtics at 35 which is false. They gave that pick up on Wednesday. He would only be a member of the Celtics if it all fell through. Therefore, to be consistent with their own logic, if they are going to wait till it’s official to list Phillips as a pick by the Bulls, they should also still list Porzingis on the Wizards.

Why does this matter? People want to be able to look at the draft picks listed and see what teams they are going to actually play for with out puzzling it together with the back story one by one.
As far as I'm concerned, you're preaching to the choir on that one

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Dalen Terry. Julian Phillips. Adama Sanogo. YOU are Summer League champs!