NBA DRAFT LOTTERY & DRAFT IGT 2023

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Looking at this, they should tank next year. Losing their pick to the Magic means next year they can't trade the pick. So tank next year, then you'll owe the pick to San Antonio (top 10 protected in 2025, top 8 protected 2026 & 2027). I'd basically have a three year plan to suck enough to be in the top 8 each of those years while focusing on developing your young guys and stockpiling picks.
I agree to an extent with this. I think tanking in 2024 is the right way to go, see what you get, and maybe still be bad enough for another top 10 in 2025. After that you're kind of getting iffy (unless you've drafted poorly). It's really not hard to just end up with the pick outside of 8. I feel like by 2026, they need to be trying. But also depends on what they got.
I'd be looking to take advantage of the new CBA. I think it's going to backfire spectacularly as far as team building goes so I'd be prioritizing having a younger roster base and be open to taking short term salary dumps with picks attached. I expect them to heavily revert some of the stuff they've put into place at the conclusion of the 2029 season.

Just as an example, a team like OKC with tons of young prospects, will potentially be forced to pick and choose who to keep due how harmful reaching that 2nd level of tax lines becomes. They've already got one supermax level player in SGA. Now if Giddey, Jalen Williams or Chet prove themselves to become potential max (or supermax) eligible players, depending on who they sign, they could be approaching that 2nd level tax line quickly just on those 4 players once max eligible (3-4 years in the future). It's why I'd be prioritizing tanking now and putting myself in position to potentially be rewarded when teams have to start choosing who to keep and who they have to get rid of because of cost.
I don't agree with this that they will revert to the old CBA. The NBA and the majority of owners have been trying to institute a hard cap since 1983. This second level tax is as close as they're getting (for now). The NBA is actually probably hoping talent gets spread out and the super teams are more of a thing of the past. They don't want teams to be able to spend through the roof to afford all these good players.

Personally, I'm not a believer in the "punish teams for being good at drafting". I'm also of the belief the max contract should be eliminated. So if you draft well, pay your players whatever the hell they want to be paid. Don't want to pay them? You don't have to. They can go elsewhere, but they won't get the money since it would fall within salary cap rules.

To some extent I like the idea of league parity, but I think there's a certain balance to it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Watch this shitty front office get stuck with this crappy roster for another year because they don’t know what they are doing. Bulls somehow went from GarPax to the Phil Emery of NBA GM’s

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I agree to an extent with this. I think tanking in 2024 is the right way to go, see what you get, and maybe still be bad enough for another top 10 in 2025. After that you're kind of getting iffy (unless you've drafted poorly). It's really not hard to just end up with the pick outside of 8. I feel like by 2026, they need to be trying. But also depends on what they got.

I don't agree with this that they will revert to the old CBA. The NBA and the majority of owners have been trying to institute a hard cap since 1983. This second level tax is as close as they're getting (for now). The NBA is actually probably hoping talent gets spread out and the super teams are more of a thing of the past. They don't want teams to be able to spend through the roof to afford all these good players.

Personally, I'm not a believer in the "punish teams for being good at drafting". I'm also of the belief the max contract should be eliminated. So if you draft well, pay your players whatever the hell they want to be paid. Don't want to pay them? You don't have to. They can go elsewhere, but they won't get the money since it would fall within salary cap rules.

To some extent I like the idea of league parity, but I think there's a certain balance to it.
I despise the max contract system

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The last time the city of Chicago was so disappointed was when Cade McNown was drafted.
I do think akme and probably garpax are limited by reinsdorf being a stingy piece of shit. Akme appears aggressive but how aggressive can you be when you have nothing to spend

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Bulls just desperately need a star. I admittedly am a fair weather basketball fan (unlike the Bears). Haven’t watched the Bulls since D Rose.
Not missing anything. I’d label myself a fair weather Bulls fan as well (unlike da Bears)…. I’ve watched maybe 50% of Bulls games since Rose.

Rise

Liked Posts:
They made a fun team but it doesn’t work without Lonzo Ball. Just really sucks he can’t recover, what is wrong with the Bulls Doctors? Worst owner in the nba as well.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
They made a fun team but it doesn’t work without Lonzo Ball. Just really sucks he can’t recover, what is wrong with the Bulls Doctors? Worst owner in the nba as well.
He’s a great owner as far as making money. That’s usually most owners priority, not all of course….but as a fan, yes, absolutely awful.
I also think he’s more involved in tactical decisions than a lot of fans realize. Bulls are basically fucked unless they luck into another rose or they get new ownership. Both very unrealistic in the short term

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He’s a great owner as far as making money. That’s usually most owners priority, not all of course….but as a fan, yes, absolutely awful.
I also think he’s more involved in tactical decisions than a lot of fans realize. Bulls are basically fucked unless they luck into another rose or they get new ownership. Both very unrealistic in the short term

I mean who wouldn’t make money in Chicago? I feel like even the biggest jackasses on this board could make money here.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not missing anything. I’d label myself a fair weather Bulls fan as well (unlike da Bears)…. I’ve watched maybe 50% of Bulls games since Rose.
This explains a lot

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lonzo likely was run into the ground by his father and thus is now suffering catastrophic injuries. Nothing the Bulls could do.

As much as everyone dislikes Reinsdorf, there are way worse owners in the NBA than him.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just noticed they did have a 2nd round pick…and the guy can’t shoot. Should fit in well here then.