Next year positives..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It hard to get excited about Matt Nagy coaching our Bears next season, so I will try to drum up some positives on a shitty day:

1). Nagy's hands off the offense. As stupid as the Bears front office is, they don't have complete blind allegiance to coaches, firing Lovie after 10 wins and Trestman after 2 years. The fact that playcalling was taken away from Nagy during the year suggests front office intervention, so I would not be surprised to see Nagy's role on offense further reduced by force and Lazor running the show.

2). A fresh mind on defense. While health plus Eddie Goldman will be the #1 difference in a better defense next year, a younger mind with new ideas could further ignite the defense. Any team with a defense close to the 2018 team has a chance to do some damage. There are plenty of pieces to work with on this defense.

3). Expansion of a great rookie class. Mooney is a star in the making, Johnson played very well and Kmet looks like a solid contributor. Those guys are going to take a big step forward next season.

4). A full draft class in 2021. Yes the Pace hate is in full force, but we haven't had a full draft since 2018 due to the Mack trade, and that draft netted us Roquan Smith, James Daniels, Bilal Nichols and Anthony Miller. Pace did pretty well last year as well. He can't pick coaches or QB's, but does pretty well at the rest.

5). A chance to improve the OT and QB position. There is a ton of talent at OT in this draft and not putting Charles Leno back on the field makes the Bears a better offense instantly. No promises here, but Mac Jones and Kyle Trask are going to be out there, and the Bears may have their choice of the 2 best pure passers in the draft when their selection comes around. No need to discuss a topic that has been beat to death on this board, but this is a DEEP QB draft, with 6 potential NFL starters available. Maybe, just maybe, some other team takes THEIR trubisky, and we end up with the spoils. It could happen guys.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe some of the posters on suicide watch will cut down the road instead of across the street

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Na, they're gonna blow it.

Pace will do something stupid with at least 1 of our first 2 picks.

Nagy can't keep his hands of the offense. Still hasn't learned how to take advantage of opponent's weaknesses.
Or use our strengths (like running the ball).
Or score in the RZ.
Or score in the 3rd Q.
Our put together a scheme to match your ever changing personnel.
One scary, underlying theme they also spoke about in the PC was getting Nagy players to work with. They are still blaming this on the players.

Until I see otherwise I have no reason to believe things will be any better BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE MAKING THE DECISIONS.

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
One thing Pace said in his presser was that everything he does is for the future of the franchise and not done in short term thinking. I hope that holds true. I think the biggest positive about the upcoming season would be if Pace/Nagy don't become desperate and start doing crazy shit - meaning mortgaging future draft picks to trade up, or for an aging vet or handing out big contracts in FA.

If Pace stays put and drafts the best available QB in the first at 20, I can live with that. It may not be the best QB in the draft, but the Bears have to take some shots at the position too. What I don't want is him trading future first rounders to move up 5 spots for 'his guy' and then the Bears having to commit the next 5 years to that QB because of what they gave up to get him.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
One thing Pace said in his presser was that everything he does is for the future of the franchise and not done in short term thinking. I hope that holds true. I think the biggest positive about the upcoming season would be if Pace/Nagy don't become desperate and start doing crazy shit - meaning mortgaging future draft picks to trade up, or for an aging vet or handing out big contracts in FA.

If Pace stays put and drafts the best available QB in the first at 20, I can live with that. It may not be the best QB in the draft, but the Bears have to take some shots at the position too. What I don't want is him trading future first rounders to move up 5 spots for 'his guy' and then the Bears having to commit the next 5 years to that QB because of what they gave up to get him.
Agree, I am more of afraid of a Bill O'Brien style desperation offseason. I do think Pace has more integrity than that, but he's also taken big impactful swings when he already had job security, so I'm not sure it will be easy to tell the difference between business as usual and desperation.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
OP- appreciate a thread trying to shine a positive light on next year.

Positive: There should be fans in the building at some point next year. Two seasons of Boo's pent up will be released the second this looks like it's going south.

Prediction: first three and out with the new QB and fans will start ripping off Boo's. They will mainly be aimed at Nagy, but Boo's are agnostic and will be felt early by all.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Any positives (and there surely aren't many) are instantly negated by the fact I have to look at and listen to more of Matt Nagy next year.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
the positive is the bears will be so bad they will have a top 5 pick, nagy and pace will be gone and the new regime can start fresh

Brownie

Liked Posts:
It would take a miracle for Nagy to turn into a good coach. A fucking miracle.

At this point in his career he doesn't know any other way to do it. You heard it today: "they're all still learning". But at the same time they are promising us they have answers.

That doesn't even make sense!

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
It hard to get excited about Matt Nagy coaching our Bears next season, so I will try to drum up some positives on a shitty day:

1). Nagy's hands off the offense. As stupid as the Bears front office is, they don't have complete blind allegiance to coaches, firing Lovie after 10 wins and Trestman after 2 years. The fact that playcalling was taken away from Nagy during the year suggests front office intervention, so I would not be surprised to see Nagy's role on offense further reduced by force and Lazor running the show.

I'm still not sold on believing that Nagy is not calling or at least having a H U G E impact on play selection.
This was very evident in the last 2 games.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Next year's positives, are that our schedule is going to be so difficult, and that our team is going to be so mediocre, that we're going to lose a lot of games, and hopefully finally get rid of Pace and Nagy.