Halftime: 49ers 14, Lions 6
September, 16, 2012
SEP 16
10:07
PM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET1COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
SAN FRANCISCO -- A few thoughts at the midpoint here from Candlestick Park:
The San Francisco 49ers are proving that last week's victory at Lambeau Field was no joke. Their coverage on the Detroit Lions' downfield receivers is excellent and they're getting pressure on quarterback Matthew Stafford. The Lions have only 112 total yards and seven first downs.
It's clear the Lions know they can't make this a one-dimensional game, and they've mixed the run and pass calls as much as you'll ever see them. They've run the ball 17 times and thrown 16 passes. The running game hasn't produced much in the way of points, but it has helped limit the 49ers' opportunities to score. The Lions have held the ball for 17 minutes, six seconds. The 49ers have had it for the other 12:36.
Quarterback Matthew Stafford has had some accuracy problems, including a floater in the first quarter that was intercepted and led directly to a 49ers touchdown. Overall, he has completed seven of his 16 passes.
Many of you are tweeting my way that the television broadcast showed the first quarter expired before a second-down pass to receiver Randy Moss. The Lions were penalized for pass interference on the play, leading to a first-and-goal. Two words for ya: Replacement officials. What do you expect?
As we discussed earlier, the Lions need to capitalize on every opportunity the historically stingy 49ers give them. They weren't able to in the first quarter when kick returner Kendall Hunter committed the 49ers' first turnover in seven regular season games. The Lions moved the ball only two yards and settled for Jason Hanson's 41-yard field goal.
That kick clanged off the right upright before sailing through, but Hanson wasn't as on a 40-yard attempt in the second quarter. That kick again hit the right upright and bounced away.
I thought linebacker DeAndre Levy had an active and impressive first half. He has unofficially been credited with five tackles, including a tackle of 49ers running back Frank Gore that ended the 49ers' two-minute drill just before halftime.
I covered baseball many moons ago, and for some reason I feel compelled to share this observation: Candlestick Park smells just like old Yankee Stadium, in a this-stadium-has-been-dirtied-and-cleaned-many-times kind of way. That's all I've got.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I like how the 49ers play. We should play like that. Just run, run, run mixed with short passing routes and the occasional deep route thrown in.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I like how the 49ers play. We should play like that. Just run, run, run mixed with short passing routes and the occasional deep route thrown in.

What we should do is the no huddle, like the Falcons and Peyton Manning's teams have always done. Keep the D in their base defense, avoid the exotic blitz packages, bait them into showing blitzes, then check to the proper play. It keeps things simple for the offensive line, and simple is good, for them.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Niners defense is impressive. That said, stafford is shirting the bed similar to his game vs the Bears. But wait!?! He's elite and elite QBs dont have bad games!!! Lol
I would love to see Staffords stats of Calvin Johnson was out for the year..

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
I would love to see Staffords stats of Calvin Johnson was out for the year..

+1

Moronic DET fans always answer the "Fatt Stafford's only good and puts up big #'s b/c of CJ" - argument with: "He threw 'X' amount of yards and 'Y' # of TD's to receivers other than CJ last year" - defense. Yeah, b/c CJ draws coverage away from everyone else. If CJ went down and their O was still dynamite, THEN maybe I'd agree.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Damn, Manning looks good.

Two posessions, to INTs.

At least Cutler was hit a half a dozen times before he threw his first INT.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two posessions, to INTs.

At least Cutler was hit a half a dozen times before he threw his first INT.

The difference - watch how Manning handles himself the rest of the game. We don't know, may have been wrong routes or maybe Manning just screwed up. But let's see how he handles himself the rest of the game. That is the issue that most have with Cutler.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Three!

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
3 INTS OMG GET RID OF THIS GUY AND RESIGN HANIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditka54

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Florida Gators
Did he shove his left tackle?

Krieger

Liked Posts:
Some other manning threw 3 ints yesterday....wonder how the rest of the game went? Wonder if this Manning can pull it together? I say he can and does

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
Whats funny is the Falcons are playing 2 man like the Packers

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if he's gonna start yapping with the other team now? Maybe push someone? .... too early?

upthemiddle

Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, I love Peyton Manning, but hopefully this puts everything into perspective. Because Manning sure as hell isn't getting crucified for this game the way Cutler did Thursday.