NFL Ratings Down 11% This Year

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Novak has it right. People are streaming a ton. You can legally stream nbc,espn,direct tv etc...and the quality is excellent most of the time.

Plus we are having a giant reality show of presidential election. If the numbers don't bounce after the election,they may be on to something. This stuff is Chicken Little IMO.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Lol, see? Everyone and their mom is streaming games. Red zone channel popularity is growing exponentially as well, which kills the ratings of the individual games.

I'll post a link near kickoff. You use acestream?

Redzone is 1,000 times better than DirectTV, unless you're out of market, obviously.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This is the first year Ive watched more college games, which have been electrifying already while most NFL games are boring.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys are all so wrong. It's the ability to stream games as easily as it is that is killing ratings. The sport is as popular as ever, it's just not being reflected in the TV ratings.

This. I haven't watched a broadcast source in two years, all on line streaming.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Having terrible prime time games never helps anything. They've been flat out awful this year. How hard is it to schedule and cherry pick some worth while prime time games? Apparently, it's pretty fucking hard because the NFL has screwed it up thus far. Streaming the games also plays into it.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Oversaturating the market, hyping literally everything, TNF sucks and is example of 1. Too much damn football. It's become a mercenary sport it seems more than it used to be. People are just losing interest; it's simply not as cool as it used to be. And rush games are really stupid, too.

Oh and jon gruden. I fucking hate Jon gruden

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rules and so many commercial breaks, ruin the continuity of the game. I'm happy they are losing a major percentage of the audience.
Possibly they might lose some TV revenue and actually go back to a better product, hopefully, with less breaks in the action.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Oversaturating the market, hyping literally everything, TNF sucks and is example of 1. Too much damn football. It's become a mercenary sport it seems more than it used to be. People are just losing interest; it's simply not as cool as it used to be. And rush games are really stupid, too.

Oh and jon gruden. I fucking hate Jon gruden

No, they aren't.

Rules and so many commercial breaks, ruin the continuity of the game. I'm happy they are losing a major percentage of the audience.

They aren't though.

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
There is only one reason. The pampered idiots disrespecting America.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
MNF has the biggest drop and I blame that on getting rid of Tirico. The new guy is simply along for the ride whereas Tirico brought something to balance Gruden.

I know it has nothing to do with the rest which I agree with Novak about streaming but this is my chance to complain about Tirico not being on MNF. He was great.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Novak called it.
Between that and Sunday Ticket...

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Novaks not right: it doesn't have much to do with streaming, people are just genuinely losing interest in the league.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Novaks not right: it doesn't have much to do with streaming, people are just genuinely losing interest in the league.

Interest in the NFL is still high, just look at fantasy football growth. The number of people playing fantasy football went up this year as evidenced by Matthew Berry's podcast for ESPN reaching new record numbers every week.

People are still enjoying the sport however the way they consume it is not conducive for network ratings

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Interest in the NFL is still high, just look at fantasy football growth. The number of people playing fantasy football went up this year as evidenced by Matthew Berry's podcast for ESPN reaching new record numbers every week.

People are still enjoying the sport however the way they consume it is not conducive for network ratings

Wouldn't be surprised to see that a bunch of fantasy football teams are just fake that ESPN/Yahoo, etc. create to make it look better. We will call it the Wells Fargo approach to success.

MIKETOUHY

Liked Posts:
I actually don't see the big fuss.

If a player is doing something wrong then the ref's have every right to do what they do.

The NFL like everything else in a business and has always been a money making enterprise so like that's nothing new.

As for other things, I couldn't answer to.