NFL writer with video proof on Trubisky's terrible accuracy-- good breakdown of film

MontanaXXIII

Liked Posts:
Look at Trubisky's arm in the GIF in the OP. He's clutching it against his body. That's not normally how he throws.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, if you want to crucify Trubisky there are so many plays to choose from. This one is nitpicking. Davenport bull rushes Leno right into Trubisky’s spot. Trubisky senses it, drops his eyes and bails to avoid a possible sack fumble.

Yeah, Trubisky could have gotten it to Cohen sooner. But situation matters. He was the checkdown on this play, running what looked like a 2 yard route into the flat. .

There were less than 30 seconds to go before the half on this particular play, and the Bears were at their own 20 yard line. No timeouts. Trubisky was obviously looking for a chunk play.

Or he could just feel the pressure and step up into the pocket. It is actually just a 3 man rush because one of the DTs drops in coverage so you literally have 3 OL in the middle with 2 blocking one guy and the RG with no one to block. A good QB recognizes this so that when the 2 outside guys get pressure upfield the QB steps up into the pocket. I have been complaining about his doing this over and over and over again. It is like he has no idea that you can step up instead of moving backwards, left or right.

So no I am not nitpicking. I didn't bring it up. Just commenting on what was posted on Twitter. My comment is the play should have been made and would have been made if the dummy would just recognize the defense and the fact the Saints dropped a DT and he has a nice pocket to step up in.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

DanTown

Liked Posts:
He wasn't "insanely open." He was underneath the coverage on 3rd down. He still has to actually get up field for the 1st down, which there's no guarantee he would have. Didn't John Madden yap enough about how he never understood why players would run patterns on 3rd downs that were short of the sticks, or that the ugliest thing in the West Coast Offense was a completed pass on 3rd down that still led to a punt?

Also, Montgomery didn't even finish his route until Trubisky was already releasing the ball to his open #1 read. He's not supposed to ignore his #1 read coming open and wait for a checkdown. That's not how the game works.

One, I don't see how any reasonable person can look at the video at not see how open Montgomery was. The Saints were in zone, deep zone at that (without seeing the all-22 I can't see if they're cover 2 or cover 3) but the MLB IMMEDIATELY vacates the center of the field and is running up the field. (Note: I'm not saying Sheehan was open because he wasn't nearly that open and he's a lumbering fuck that should only get the ball in the end zone and/or past the sticks). I'm not saying the QB should always look to dump the ball to his RB short of the sticks but when the Saints are sitting zone, vacating the middle of the field, and not accounting for Montgomery with anyone in coverage then you should think about getting him the ball. That's a simple fucking read. The fact Mitchell doesn't even THINK to throw to Montgomery in that situation is telling me that he's not processing the info.

Again, this isn't the worst decision to try and get more yards and hit a fairly open Gabriel. I don't actually mind if he went "you know, Montgomery is open but I'm going to make a good throw to Gabriel". The fact he just arms an outside throw and misses the window by several yards is even more concerning. That's not a high level throw and he's no where close.

No. No you don't. You have no idea what you're even looking at.

It's especially laughable to claim that Mahomes - who played at freak'n Texas Tech, which is the most infamously gimmicky offensive system in history - the same system that made freak'n Kliff Kingsbury an NCAA record setter - made more difficult passes in college. He would be a colossal bust if he hadn't wound up playing for Andy Reid, where literally no QB has ever failed (Reid was beating people with freak'n Koy Detmer, and made people think Michael Vick was an actual passer for a year).

If Trubisky had wound up on the Chiefs, people would be talking about his MVP candidacy.

These videos are stupid, too. You don't just do cut ups of QBs where they succeed and fail, out of context. You watch whole games, one at a time. Trubisky had a whopping 6 INTs all year, so yeah...let's just go track down those 6 picks, as though there's a single QB who goes a whole year without throwing a few picks.

Fagtrick threw 10 picks that year. Where's the video of those? Watson threw freak'n 17. SEVENTEEN.

And if you want to see a clue as to where Trubisky was going to have problems, there was one throw during the NC State game where he committed completely to a throw, the receiver was wide open, he put zip on it...and he somehow missed it. When a QB commits like that and misses like that, that's a red flag.

That was about the only hint there might be a problem, though. His tape was far and away the best of any of the QBs in the class, and the best of any QB coming out in quite some time. He made subtle footwork adjustments in the pocket, he drilled the comebacks, outs, and curls, his mobility was a major plus and he was brilliant at eluding rushers, he had improvisational ability with his mobility, and he didn't make many dumb throws. Oh, and if you took out the game he literally played in a hurricane vs. Virginia Tech, he completed over 70% of his passes for the year.

Holy shit, the idea that someone can question anyone's level of analysis yet he wants to argue that raw INT and completion % is a sign of accuracy is just...ok.

people (not you, I don't know) are asking "why doesn't Mitchell run anymore, he used to be so good at it" but the issue with his running was that Mitchell was basically running a "first read and bail" type offense. What the Bears want him to do, and what he's clearly struggling with, is taking in the info and then making the read and throwing the ball.

And none of this speaks that to when Mitchell's first read is some sort of throwing to a space, he can't see it.

This isn't some "I don't get why he's struggling" idea, this is fairly fucking basic if you watch any of his plays. It also would speak to why UNC didn't get him on the field until his 4th year there.

The point of the highlights is see how often Mahomes/Watson make two plays that Mitch cannot make with any sort of regularity

- What happens when my first read is covered
- Can I throw the ball into a window

Yes they have picks but picks are vastly overrated in terms of criticizing players.

Also, Mahomes had 10 picks on 591 throws or an INT on 1.7% of his throws. In no world, especially considering how aggressive he was, is that in any way bad.

Last edited:

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Agree his mistakes are not footwork etc its mental and lots of it. We can't afford another Cutler era lesson