Now the hard work for Pace begins

Washington

Liked Posts:
The run defense was by far and away the worst aspect, ranked near the bottom in the high 20's.

They so far have done nothing to address the run D. A healthy Goldman should help. We can't count on Trevathon coming off that terrible injury. I think the DL needs a RDE and better backups.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No contest there. I was just addressing the constant shitting on the pass defense. I think what they pulled off last year was a god damn miracle considering the injuries. In no small part likely due to the coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The WR and TE group is going to be the lynch pin of the season and where they sit going into 2018

If those groups can turn into something it would be huge.

It is not crazy there are

High Picks (White, Shaheen, Wright)
Solid Free Agents (Wheaton, Sims)
Some interesting youth (Meredith, Brown)

I like Wright, Wheaton, & Meredith, and Shaheen intrigues me. They don't have a number one though. I have no faith in White and don't think he looked particularly good in the few games he played. I am 99% sure that he will give the Bears little to no contribution.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing I pointed out repeatedly when they let Forte walk, traded Marshall, etc. is how far away they were from competing. If your QB isn't capable of winning a Super Bowl and you can't realistically get rid of him for two years, you're at least four years away from competing for one. Rookie QBs don't win Super Bowls and I think Russell Wilson is the only second-year guy to do it.

So if you're in that situation, there aren't a lot of free agents that make sense. You're looking almost exclusively at guys who are 25 or 26 and coming off their first contract. Guys in their late twenties and early thirties are pretty useless when you're four years way from competing.

But now that they think have their quarterback in place, I expect to see them do exactly what you described.

I think Big Ben did as well. Not disagreeing though.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
DT should be an easy fix this offseason Jaye Howard, Jared Odrick, Sheldon Richardson.

Pace should also give Aikem Hicks, Cameron Meredith and Pat O'Donnell contract extensions maybe Eddie Goldman while he is still cheap.

Wtf has O'Donnell done to deserve a contract he has been a mega cunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They so far have done nothing to address the run D. A healthy Goldman should help. We can't count on Trevathon coming off that terrible injury. I think the DL needs a RDE and better backups.

The run D was a major weakness for the Bears last year......I don't think their defensive squad will be ready for prime time until this is addressed or somehow gets better with the players they already have.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I actually think the hard work for Pace starts now and the 2018 offseason is far bigger for him.

Drafting a QB was a big decision, but it had to happen.

Now he needs to show that he can build a team around that QB to make him successful and to show that he can avoid the mistakes of the Cutler era.

If Trubisky sucks than that is a problem, but if he sucks because the Bears learned nothing from Cutler than that is unforgivable.

1. Probably hiring a new HC with a QB in mind
2. Addressing the OT position
3. Addressing the WR position
4. Having the defense take the next step while resources go to the offense.

1. Fox will be our coach if we get to 500 or better for the future
2. I think your right that should be a top priority in 2018
3 we don't know what we have in white yet and we have a new qbs so this may not be a issue
4. I think this is going to be another top priority more talent on the d line and edge. But we have to see how our secondary is first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You couldn't count on trevathon pre-injury. He was pedestrian in the games he played.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You couldn't count on trevathon pre-injury. He was pedestrian in the games he played.

that isn't exactly true....he would have about 130 combined tackles and 7 PDs and 2 sacks....that would put him near his career highs.......

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
the big thing that will get fox fired is how he handles trubisky if glennon struggles. Despite reaching out to Fischer about developing young qb's hopefully he's learning what not to do. The defense should be better than last year just based off of health alone. Offensively more weapons should make them better but I'm worried about long who's ankle injury will likely keep him out till camp or even longer.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
that isn't exactly true....he would have about 130 combined tackles and 7 PDs and 2 sacks....that would put him near his career highs.......

He played in a system that allowed plays to be funneled right to him. He was simply "there".. and his stats reflect that.

That doesnt mean he was worth the hype he got coming here, or the contract he received. He didn't stand out in a single game he played in. Not one time did you come away from a game thinking "man, I'm sure glad the baers big 2016 FA signing was this trevathon guy!".. the bears brass fell for fools gold. Please don't argue that.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He played in a system that allowed plays to be funneled right to him. He was simply "there"..

He didn't stand out in a single game he played in. Please don't argue that.

That is an interesting take....I've never heard that Trevathan was the benefit of a funnel......usually to take the strength away from a team you run at the best defensive player....so are you saying that Trevathan was the best linebacker on the Broncos and the Bears?

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Look at how pitiful the bears D line was last year.. a porous D line is obviously going to lead to an increase in tackles for the linebackers. That in no way signifies a correlation with any linebacker being good or impactful in any way, shape, or form.

This is almost as dumb as when people point to the defensive stats vs the pass last season, and come to the conclusion that our secondary was "servicable"... meanwhile, the bears were getting run all over, in every game, and the bears couldn't put up any points on the offensive side whatsoever. Nobody HAD to throw on us. And when teams needed to, they did so. Consistently. With ease.

But hey, stats are fun. Football happens in a vacuum.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at how pitiful the bears D line was last year.. a porous D line is obviously going to lead to an increase in tackles for the linebackers. That in no way signifies a correlation with any linebacker being good or impactful in any way, shape, or form.

This is almost as dumb as when people point to the defensive stats vs the pass last season, and come to the conclusion that our secondary was "servicable"... meanwhile, the bears were getting run all over, in every game, and the bears couldn't put up any points on the offensive side whatsoever. Nobody HAD to throw on us. And when teams needed to, they did so. Consistently. With ease.

But hey, stats are fun. Football happens in a vacuum.

Bears were better against the run with trevathan vs without him.

Bears opponents averaged almost 12 more rushing yards a game without Trevathan than with him.......there is your impact.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears were better against the run with trevathan vs without him.

Bears opponents averaged almost 12 more rushing yards a game without Trevathan than with him.......there is your impact.

Yawn, another vacuum.

Goldman was out too!

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would be looking to invest heavily at OT next offseason whether that be through FA or the draft.

I want this O-line to continue to be a top 10 in the league when Mitch hits the field.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yawn, another vacuum.

Goldman was out too!

you can ignore that stat, but i showed you direct impact with and without Trevathan......

I believe goldman and trevathan only played in two games together....so they had little impact over the year together....

The bottom line is that the Bears were much better against the run with Trevathan than without......next

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
you can ignore that stat, but i showed you direct impact with and without Trevathan......

I believe goldman and trevathan only played in two games together....so they had little impact over the year together....

The bottom line is that the Bears were much better against the run with Trevathan than without......next

Your argument is flawed, and that stat doesnt indicate a direct impact. Does it take into account quality of opponents? Who was injured vs who was healthy (i.e. goldman) in any of those games? Or is it just a vague stat?

Again, did you come away from any single game thanking the gods that Trevathon was the bears big FA signing of 2016? Did you notice some insane drop off when he was on the injury report?

I didn't say Tre was garbage.. just that he was just another guy. He was touted as more than that when he came to Chicago.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Looking at the roster, the holes on it, the lack of depth, and what the realistic window is for this group, it just makes the trade for Mitch when he likely would have been there all the harder to swallow. There simply are not that many high quality players locked up to either cheap deals or young rookie contract players that make you think anything sustainable is around the corner. Mitch basically has to be a game changing QB to carry a roster like this. I mean, how many starters do you project for 2019 are here right now? There's only two more drafts before that season and you already don't have a third in the 2018 draft to find a starter so the window and margin for Pace is incredibly thin at building a winner.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looking at the roster, the holes on it, the lack of depth, and what the realistic window is for this group, it just makes the trade for Mitch when he likely would have been there all the harder to swallow. There simply are not that many high quality players locked up to either cheap deals or young rookie contract players that make you think anything sustainable is around the corner. Mitch basically has to be a game changing QB to carry a roster like this. I mean, how many starters do you project for 2019 are here right now? There's only two more drafts before that season and you already don't have a third in the 2018 draft to find a starter so the window and margin for Pace is incredibly thin at building a winner.

That is a cynic's point of view. You're also only accounting for the draft. The reality is that free agency is there for a reason. Its nearly impossible to build a team entirely out of nothing but draft picks because you will inevitably wind up in a drought where you didn't hit on long time starters for your franchise. Case in point the fucking Green Bay Packers. They have literally wasted Aaron Rodgers' prime by being a fucking cheapskate. Ted Thompson is honestly a moron. I would hate to have him as my GM.