Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Edmunds

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Nelson

Votes: 52 56.5%

• Total voters

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If Edmunds was all he's cracked up to be on CCS why isn't he high on everyone's big boards like Fitzpatick, Barkley and Nelson (or Smith) are?

I'm not against him, it seems like a realistic player at #8. He just doesn't seem like the super star I hope for at #8 with a little luck, or if he does end up a super star it will take a lot of luck. He's got the physical ability to be a star now, so why isn't he?

I doubt if Nelson drops to 8, but if he does you get the one who drops rather than reach for another.

He is high on everybody's board. The lowest I've seen him ranked on any big board is 12.

As for the "why isn't he a star now", there's a couple responses.

1. He's 19. Not even fully developed.
2. He is a star now. All-ACC 1st team by coaches and media. One of 5 finalists for the Butkus award. 100+ tackles and 5 sacks for the 2nd year in a row for one of the top defenses in the nation.

Rise

Liked Posts:
You take the All-Pro and don't look back, that is Nelson. I am always in the camp of taking the highest graded player, position is not as important because if you have the best player in the league at his position you will always have an advantage on the field that a good coach can exploit. Win matchups win games.

Stacking generational talents is never a bad idea.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have not watched tape of any of the 3. Did not watch a single college game last year except the national championship game. I am not a scout. I can only go with what the sports media is saying... So Nelson.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
If Nelson is there, take him. I get that people think a guard isn't worth the 8th pick. However, we would be adding a piece that could potentially make our offensive line one of if not the best in the league. Creating that kind of line is worth the 8th pick. Edmonds for me if Nelson isn't there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Maybe I'm crazy but I see the draft playing out differently than most.

Browns - QB

Giants - I think they have Nelson pegged here and why they didn't trade with the jets. They need o line worse than any other position. They are a different team all of a sudden with Solder and Nelson

Jets - QB

Browns - Fitzpatrick they need FS to pair with peppers at SS. Top D Talent and their favorite D player

Broncos - QB

Indy - trade again with either buffalo or Arizona for a QB and stockpile more picks for one of the least talented teams in the league.

Tampa - think Tampa would love both Chubb and Barkley, but they can't pass on Barkley now that he's fallen in their lap

That leaves Da Bears with Chubb. Our #1 need and we don't even have to reach for a project player

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
As we have our secondary set for at least next year or two we can’t miss out in the opportunity to get Nelson. Our secondary from last year is all returning but I don’t see a need for DB this early in the draft where we can get an impact player at a position of need. You can’t let a talent like that pass you by and watch them dominate for the next 10 years.

Nelson

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I've always said that the Oline is the key to great QB play, and to get a monster like Nelson that can anchor that line for the next 10 years with a nasty attitude, sign me up...

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I voted Nelson but would be perfectly fine with Edmonds. The alluring thing about Nelson is that everything I've read, he's a plug & play and NFL ready. He's big, athletic and nasty. Edmonds is a bit raw, from what I have gleaned here, but with his athletic ability Fangio might be able to move him around.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
It seems as though the consensus is Nelson or Edmunds would be great picks at 8 by all Bears fans. This makes me believe that Pace is going to do something the exact opposite.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It seems as though the consensus is Nelson or Edmunds would be great picks at 8 by all Bears fans. This makes me believe that Pace is going to do something the exact opposite.

Wants and reality rarely align in the NFL. Not exactly setting the world on fire pointing this out.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe I'm crazy but I see the draft playing out differently than most.

Browns - QB

Giants - I think they have Nelson pegged here and why they didn't trade with the jets. They need o line worse than any other position. They are a different team all of a sudden with Solder and Nelson

Jets - QB

Browns - Fitzpatrick they need FS to pair with peppers at SS. Top D Talent and their favorite D player

Broncos - QB

Indy - trade again with either buffalo or Arizona for a QB and stockpile more picks for one of the least talented teams in the league.

Tampa - think Tampa would love both Chubb and Barkley, but they can't pass on Barkley now that he's fallen in their lap

That leaves Da Bears with Chubb. Our #1 need and we don't even have to reach for a project player

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I think Giants take a QB and sit him for a bit. Manning is 37 and I don't think the Giants plan on picking top 2 again in the near future.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I voted Nelson but would be perfectly fine with Edmonds. The alluring thing about Nelson is that everything I've read, he's a plug & play and NFL ready. He's big, athletic and nasty. Edmonds is a bit raw, from what I have gleaned here, but with his athletic ability Fangio might be able to move him around.

Why did he play the weak side at ND? Honest question and not a dig but don't you normally put you best G on the R.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I think Giants take a QB and sit him for a bit. Manning is 37 and I don't think the Giants plan on picking top 2 again in the near future.

I agree. Either he giants take QB or they trade back with a team absolutely desperate to hop in front of the jets.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
I think Nelson is going to be a great NFL guard, and would love for him to be a Bear, but Linebacker is so much more valuable of a position and has a much bigger impact on the game.

For example, here are the 2017 All-Pro guards and linebackers, with their draft positions:

David DeCastro, 1/24
Andrew Norwell, UND
Rodger Saffold, 2/33
Zack Martin, 1/16

Chandler Jones, 1/21
Luke Kuechly, 1/9
Bobby Wagner, 2/47
Von Miller, 1/2
CJ Mosley, 1/17
Telvin Smith, 5/144

If you had your pick of ONE of these players to be on the Bears for their careers, who are you taking?

You’re crazy if you don’t take at least Miller or Kuechly, and I’d be hard pressed to take any of the guards before any of the linebackers.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I'd be fine with any of them but I think Nelson.

Nelson- They need to protect their franchise quarterback. Don't do what the Colts did with Luck. Another thing is we don't know how Robinson, Meredith and White will be coming back from their injuries. I think they'll be good but if they aren't, a good offensive line will make everyone feel better. People said Tom Brady never played with good WR's (even though he played with Moss, Branch- Super Bowl MVP, Welker, Edelman etc.) but he always had one of the best offensive lines. Brady usually having a good defense could also make a good point to why the Bears should draft a guy like Edmunds or Ward. If not, then I hope the Bears can trade back a handful of spots and maybe pick up a 2nd rounder and draft one of those guards and go defense #1. I think Kyle Long's contract will be up soon as well.

Edmunds- He fills a need but with Trevathan there the Bears could get away with someone like Kwiatkoski (who wasn't bad or anything either) starting with Trevathan. Same thing if they add an OLB, that gets Kwiatkoski better players around him and improves the pass rush.

Ward- Right now he probably wouldn't get good playing time and they like Callahan at NB. The Bears could have a good CB group like the Broncos had with Harris, Talib and Roby if they take Ward.

Hopefully the Bears go OL and OLB/ILB with their first 2 picks. I liked their free agent signings but I was hoping they'd address those areas. Norwell would have been nice.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why did he play the weak side at ND? Honest question and not a dig but don't you normally put you best G on the R.

Usually your best guard plays on the blindside of the quarterback.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
Urlacher, Larry Allen, or Darryl Green which is more important to the Bears needs right now?

Then if you wanna throw in Fitzpatrick/James as Troy Polamalu or Sean Taylor which gets you the most bang for your team.
I believe Nelson to Hernandez is a smaller gap than Edmunds to the next best ILB in rd 2.
CB I actually like Jaire Alexander as much if not more than Denzel Ward.
Safety there are quite a few safeties that are thumpers & can run for example Edmunds brother that ran 4.47.

Everyone talking about Nelson being once in a generation type OL, I heard those same things about Jonathan Cooper,
Chance Warmack, & Laremy Tunsil, the draft is a crapshoot so there are no sure things & as much as I like Nelson & want great things
for Trubisky I believe the #8 pick in the draft is just way too high for a OL that’s not a LT.

In my opinion, & once again they are like a-holes, being a BEAR means MLB.
I also understand that Edmunds might bust but I’d rather shoot for the moon with Edmunds potential ceiling
at a true PLAYMAKING/QUARTERBACKING position on D#...